1. JakeXD40

JakeXD40 New Member

Anybody know when the Springfield XDS is going to start being shipped?

2. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Eventually. And I now make way for the serious answers.

3. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Thats the only XD that I like the look of, but with a 1911 grip angle, being the same size as a 1911 and the same caliber, I think ill stick with a 1911;)

4. JakeXD40

JakeXD40 New Member

I absolutely agree I love the 1911 but unfortunately it's just not in my budget right now. I def will get a Kimber Ultra CDP in the near future Tho.

5. Sideswipe

Sideswipe New Member

I'm getting impatient.

6. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

But it is NOT a 1911. It really shouldn't be compared. Even the Defender is taller and longer (including the beavertail) than the XD(s). There will be no thumb safety on the XDs making it more point-and-shoot friendly.

As a Kahr guy AND a XDm guy, I can't wait to put my hands on a XDs. I love 45acp, love a single stack, and don't want a thumb safety. It may replace my Kahr PM45 someday.

BTW, the PM45 and the XDs have almost exactly the same measurements and the same capacity, but I bet the Springer trigger ROCKS!!

7. JakeXD40

JakeXD40 New Member

I completely agree the thumb safety is some thing I don't think I could get used to in a CC gun. Def looking forward to getting the XDs, My XD40 compact is great just a little too big for summer carry.

8. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Can't wait for the XDs. I plan on making it my new carry gun, if it passes muster.

9. JakeXD40

JakeXD40 New Member

I just got a Email back from Springfield Armory and it said that the XDs was going to start shipping to distributors a little later this month and shortly after local gun shops should have them. It also said that your local gun shops should have the pricing so I should be able to reserve one now or get on a waiting list.

10. nccinstaller

nccinstaller New Member

Is the xds gonna have all the usually safetys of a regular xd? like loaded chamber indicator, grip safety, etc

11. knfxda

knfxda New Member

12. JakeXD40

JakeXD40 New Member

Its got all the safety features that the XD and XDM have but it doesn't have the striker indicator

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

I've never understood the striker status indicator! Is there any way to have one in the chamber and the striker NOT be cocked?

14. Chubbyhawaiian

Chubbyhawaiian New Member

To me it's just a second loaded chamber indicator when the gun is holstered. But yea, your absolutely right.

15. knfxda

knfxda New Member

No, but unless I'm totally off base here, all striker fire guns are cocked when there is one in the chamber.

Not really, the striker can still be back on an empty chamber. If you are attempting to holster a "safe" gun, where you believe you have dropped the mag and pulled the trigger. The striker indicator gives you tactile feedback as to whether the trigger has actually been pulled and the gun is "fully safe".

For example, in IDPA, if I were to holster my weapon after a course of fire, I should have dropped the mag, cleared the weapon, and pulled the trigger. When I holster my weapon I press down where the Striker indicator to fully seat the gun. This does several things:

1) It ensures that my finger is off the trigger (I can't make the gun go boom)
    2) It ensures that I am not depressing the grip saftey (something can't get stuck in the trigger guard and "pull" the trigger upon reholstering)
    3) It ensures that I am not in a "striker back" situation (whereby if I actually still had a round in the chamber, I would be in condition 1)

Obviously, if my intent is to carry in condition one (when I conceal carry), then it serves the opposite purpose. It lets me know that I minimally have the striker back (a round in the chamber is on "faith" at that point - if it's in my holster since I cannot see my loaded chamber indicator)

Striker back (in a "safe" holstered situation) is no different that hammer back in the same situation. If someone were walking around on a cold range with a hammer back, they would have to go to the Safe Area and make their weapon safe.

Last edited: May 10, 2012