XDs upgrades

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by niteglock, Jun 4, 2013.

1. niteglock

niteglock New Member

What upgrades did you guys do to your XDs and has it affected reliability at all. I just got mine and am trying to think of what to do with it. Trigger, grips, sights, ect......

2. refugeepj

refugeepj New Member

my XDS is one of the few I have left alone. the trigger is just about right for a carry weapon, the sights are good (even for an old fart like me), and it hides well. fits the nitch in my case.

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Is there something your not happy with on it ? If not why waste the money. My xd sc has had the trigger reworked , my xds is is pretty close to it just a tad heavier pull . Mine is perfect . The only thing I did do was change out the front fiber to green, as I dont see red real well .

4. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

No one makes a trigger kit for it.

Why not spend a bunch of upgrade money on ammo and then start shooting the heck out of it at the range?

5. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

Why are you wanting to upgrade your XDs?
    There are not many options for this already well made handgun.

6. niteglock

niteglock New Member

I meant like better grip safety and just misc stuff. I would spend the money on ammo but can't find any for under 30.00/ box right now.

7. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

In all seriousness, shoot it for a while before you decide to change something. Because X said Y needed to be replaced, that doesn't mean it needs to be replaced for you nor does it even validate that X had a clue what they were talking about.

Go shoot it....find out how YOUR pistol works for YOU....then determine what, if anything, needs improvement.

I understand ammo is expensive. But....if you go spending your $$ on "upgrades" that may or may not be needed, you sure as heck won't have any $$ to buy ammo. The best thing you can do with a new firearm is to learn how to shoot it....after all, bullet placement is key to an effective defense.

8. IvanKaz

IvanKaz Member

I got a chance to shoot my buddies xds and I think it shoots like a dream, at least for such a small gun in such a large caliber. Give it some time at the range first before you start thinking about any upgrades, IMO.

9. 1411

1411 New Member

Only upgrade I added were some hand loads.

10. emo

emo Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The only change I recommend is to add Pearce grip extensions to the magazines, really like getting three fingers on the grip. Other than that, great gun that doesn't need anything more to do what it was intended to do.

11. buckfynn

buckfynn New Member

I'll second getting the Pearce grip extensions. I picked mine up for about 10 bucks each.

12. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Powder River Springs sells the spring kit for lighter trigger pulls. I've heard the striker spring can cause light primer strikes, I personally want a nice set of night sights and a couple 7 round mags and I'll be happy

13. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

I know they make a spring kit....I have one, it is worthless, in my opinion. And it did a fine job in causing light primer strikes. The only good thing about it was cheap so I didn't feel too bad wasting my money on it. I'm hoping that PRP will actually make a trigger kit for the XD-S, similar to their other trigger kits which work very well, in my opinion.

14. 76239dave

76239dave New Member

I swear my XDM front sight post is too tall. If I file it down I'll lose the white dot. At least part of it. Went to order some trijicon night sights but couldn't find any without a long back order wait. Anyone else experience the too tall front sight problem? What did you do about it?

15. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

I thought the same thing until I had a better shooter than me try it. I have spotty trigger control and tend to drop the nose anticipating the bang. The smaller the gun, the more dramatic the effects. Not saying this is your problem, but maybe get a second opinion before grinding down your sights.

16. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

Agree on the pinky extensions but personally found that the 7 rd mag takes a bit away from concealability.

[​IMG]

17. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

My favorite add-ons have been :

XS Big Dot Night Sights, Springfield 7 rd Mags and a

Milt Sparks Summer Special IWB Holster (worth the wait )

IF you have a XDM order it for the full size pistol and use it for all of your XDM's

Great pistols !

18. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

This thread is about the XD-S, not the XDm.

19. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Yes Thx, as the OP and XDs owner I wanted to know if anyone had any issues w theirs, mine has made me very happy much more then my old Glock 23 or BG380 did. It may not be perfect for home defense but it serves double duty as my edc and hd