XDs sub compact

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by gunownerz, Dec 6, 2012.

1. gunownerz

gunownerz New Member

Hey guys - I'm trying to think through all of my options for a good carry gun. I'm in between the nano, shield and the XDs.

I haven't had a chance to shoot the XDs and wanted to hear your thoughts on it.

Oh

2. magnumman

magnumman New Member

I I've not shot it either. I have heard good and bad things but I will leave that to somebody with first hand experience. What it would come down to me is the caliber vs capacity vs size argument. I do know that the shield is a fantastic gun with great reviews (I have only shot the 9).

3. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

XDS! I don't like the NANO feel, the shield is almost impossible to get for a reasonable price right now and the XDS can be found plus it's a .45. Real nice gun IMO.

4. The_Big_B

The_Big_B New Member

My wife just bought me the XDS last night....I cant remember the last time I was this excited. Havent shot it yet though....

5. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Make sure you share some pics and a range report.

6. gunownerz

gunownerz New Member

That's awesome! I look forward to hearing what you think about it!

7. gunownerz

gunownerz New Member

I kinda had the same feeling about the nano. And I've found a few used shields but I'm not sure if I'm interested in going that route.

Is the .45 too much for such a small gun? I'm a huge fan of the fact that it's a .45 but I'm afraid it's gonna fly out of my hand if I can't get a good grip :)

Thanks for your feedback

8. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

The recoil is very manageable on the XDS. Check out some of the youtube videos.

9. fpdsniper

fpdsniper New Member

I vote XDS. Some things to understand about this pistol though. In order to produce a pistol in a large caliber, and make it as small as possible, the spring rates in such as small slide are critical. I've put hundreds of rounds through my XDS, and a few others I've shot. Here's some tips:

1) Always load a round into the chamber by locking the slide back, inserting the magazine, then using the slide lock to release the slide. This will chamber the round properly, and eliminate the risk of unintentionally riding the slide forward and failing to completely chamber the round.

2) In your sight picture, use a "Combat" style hold on your target. Not a 6 O'clock hold. It tends to print low if you don't shoot this way. However, it does print nice groups for such a short barreled pistol!

3) Use a firm grip using isometric type pressure on the front strap. This will keep you from having any "limp wrist" malfunctions, and make for an even more controllable shooting experience with this pistol.

My XDS runs flawlessly and accurately using these methods. Everyone I've trained this way has had a similar experience. This pistol disappears when carrying concealed. I also run a set of Trijicon HD Night Sights with the Orange front on mine. Can't say enough good about these sights.

10. gunownerz

gunownerz New Member

Thanks for the tips! I'm sold. Now I just need to find one!

11. bdixon2138

bdixon2138 New Member

I too was in a similar quandary about a ccw. I went through the Sig 290 and the Kimber Solo Carry and had huge reliability issues with both. I was in a local gun store when the first XDs came in. I was immediately impressed with the feel of it so I bought it. I have put over 1000 rounds through it and do not have words to describe how amazing it is. After 1000 rounds I have not had one ftf with it. I also have a Shield, which is a fantastic pistol, but the main difference between the Shield and the XDs is accuracy. The XDs is far superior in terms of accuracy. The XDs shoots like a much larger pistol. I even took mine to an IDPA shoot and placed well with a "pocket pistol." This would be very difficult with the Shield, which shoots more like a smaller pistol should. The XDs is very easily concealed. I am a physician and it is my constant companion. It is easily concealable even with the scrubs that I wear. I use a Crossbreed IWB when not at work and a 511 tactical shirt when at work.

12. gunownerz

gunownerz New Member

I went to the range yesterday and a friend of mine brought the XDs to try out. He also brought the shield .40 so I was able to see that in comparison. I ended up shooting 200 rounds of each gun. Although the XDS is definitely not what I would call a range gun, I think it won!

Attached Files:

13. vbustillo2

vbustillo2 New Member

I just bought one today!!!! Can't wait for it to come in. I'll let you know how it is as soon as I shoot it.

14. ares338

ares338 New Member

I have an XDs and I really enjoy it. Even with a loose grip this pistol is easy to shoot. It's accurate enough for me from 3 to 25 yards and by that I mean combat accurate. If I want to shoot a target pistol I will shoot my Colt Mark IV Series 70 M1911. I agree with the gentleman about loading one into the chamber by using the slide release method and I have never had a malfunction in over 500 rounds. This IS first choice for a carry pistol but I sometimes switch out with my Sig Sauer P290.

15. Prime83

Prime83 New Member

Just picked my XDs up Friday can't wait to get to the range.

Attached Files:

16. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

The XDs gets my first vote...I have one and love it. Shoots great and to point of aim using Corbon 230 grain +P JHP ammo. I do however also switch things up and have a Glock 36 I carry as well. The XDs gets carried the most however :)

17. Whitesoxfan1

Whitesoxfan1 New Member

I just ordered the Xds Bitone from an online retailer this morning and look forward to getting it the beginning of the year.

18. Prime83

Prime83 New Member

Just got my Pierce Pinky Extension in today.

image-872370743.jpg

19. mag318

mag318 Member

Owning both the Shield and the XDs I much prefer the XDs. Both are good pistols but I like the idea of a 45 in such an easily carried platform. The XDs is surpringly accurate and the recoil isn't the bear you'd expect. They are pricier pistols but the quality of build is superlative.

Attached Files:

20. vbustillo2

vbustillo2 New Member

Where did you get it at?