XDs .45

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by zeuss, Jul 31, 2012.

1. zeuss

zeuss New Member

Does anybody have any input on the XDs .45? I am looking for a new concealed carry weapon, also if anybody has any experience carrying the XDs what holsters do you use? I have only read about these, I haven't gotten around to getting my hands on one yet.

2. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Good luck finding them. I haven't seen one below MSRP yet, let alone had the opportunity to handle one.

3. JonM

JonM Moderator

My local lgs has one in stock. Wasnt too impressed with it. Very heavy trigger pull grip was way too slim for me. They removed the cocked indicator off the rear of the gun.

I would have a hard time keeping it from twisting in my hand. 5+1 capacity is a nogo on top of the rest. There is a point at which too small becomes an issue and the xds hits that square for me. The slide is still the same width add a holster and xds xdm xd glock m&p arent fun to carry iwb.

After handling one i wont get one even if they come out with a short 7 round mag for it. Its still got the fat slide but a small grip. If i carry iwb its my colt new agent.

Just my opinion.

4. Hollander

Hollander New Member

I have had one for the past three weeks. 220 rounds with only one fte in the first 25. Has a little bit of a bite when shooting, at least for this 70 yr old but tolerable. Even using the included holster, it easily conceals and will be even better when my new High Country (high ride) from R Grizzle Leather arrives. For me it is a keeper and will be carried almost exclusively instead of my MK40 elite.

5. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

First of all which XD45 model are you looking at?

I have the 4" Compact and Service model and love the way they feel and shoot. Took me a little while to get used to the heavier trigger pull on my XD, I was used to carrying my SIG P229 or my Colt 1911.

I have not have had a problem concealing either one of them. I use a Milt Sparks VM-II for IWB and a Galco FLETCH holster.

6. MarkAD

MarkAD New Member

XD-45. good gun, slightly larger then XD40. Full size is nice. .
    FYI - shoots reloads very nice, my reloads are 5.5 gr HP-38 200gr ball TMJ.I juts did 500 for a buddy running the XD-45

7. jamesb

jamesb New Member

I have the XDs and really like it so far! Trigger is very nice for a factory trigger. It is no worse than Glock. Reset is possibly a hair shorter as well. Trigger right out of the box is better than my PPS which has at least 800 rounds through it. I'm using a Harwell IWB holster. Fits really well. I needed to heat it up some and loosen the retention, but that was easy. This one to be exact with the speed cut:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Springfield...816?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a787a3418

It is very nice to shoot for such a small .45. I have since swapped out my EDC PPS 9mm for the XDs. Recoil is plenty managable, follow up shots were on target at your average "engagement" distances. Please see my thread for some photos compared to the PPS as well as some info on my range trip with it.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f59/springfield-xds-photoshoot-70285/

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  8. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

I have both guns as well. I almost think the xds is easier to handle than the PPS. I really like this pistol.

9. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Good, I don't even understand that thing. How could the chamber be loaded and the striker NOT be cocked?

My Kahr PM45 has the exact same measurements as this XDs and I love carrying it. The 5+1 is a little small, but it is still one more than a snubbie PLUS it is 45acp!

My Kahr's 3" barrel is a little short in that it is VERY flashy. It is my only pistol that I am distinctly aware of the flash when I fire it. But it doesn't recoil any more than my Colt New Agent did.

10. genesis

genesis New Member

Hi Zeuss. Here's a half hour review video on the new very small Springfield Armory 45ACP sub-compact. Single stack, 5 round mag. It looks like a mighty fine gun. My local Gander Mountain has them occasionally. There are other youtube vids on this model. Just do a search at youtube.

Enjoy,

Don <><

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmr8iZyeXw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fmr8iZyeXw[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  11. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

The hardest thing for me to get used to when I first got my XD's was the trigger pull. It was heavy and hard for me to get used to especially after shooting a Sig and a 1911 for over 17yrs. But once I got used to it was a great handgun.

12. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I have handled several and shot one. I'm impressed and it is more then likely the next handgun I will bring home.

I should also say that I'm an XD fan and have owned several over the years. IMHO, the XD line is the best line of poly guns on the market.

13. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Ok I'm new so Plz be gentle w the "pointing me in the right direction" but I have owned two concealed weapons so far, started w a not so well thought out choice of a Glock 23. I loved the gun but for a new ta the "life style" it wasn't as easy to conceal as I wanted. Then of course the lack of a safety is of concern having small children. So onto my next choice a way easy to conseal S&W BG.380 the size and a safety were welcome, but(as w life there always is) I'm not as happy w the knock down power. While I'm open to any reasonable option the XDS 3.3 is floating tru my dreams as my next choice......???? Any input would be welcome(helpful prefered) Thx a OIF Army vet(ret)

14. zeuss

zeuss New Member

I have handled and shot the compact version since I last posted on this thread and am very impressed with it, it is going to be my next handgun purchase.

15. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

Thank you, I love Glocks but the piece of mind w a second safety and size and weight are on the XDS side and that counts enough for my vote.

16. estalzer

estalzer New Member

I purchased an XDS a few months ago. Great cc gun. I was carrying an XD 40sc for several years and after carrying the XDS I won't go back. It's better for carry and shoots greats. Let's not forget its a cannon.

17. sjn1955

sjn1955 New Member

I purchased the XDs a few months ago and it is now my primary carry gun. In the past I have carried quite a few guns from Glock Springfield Ruger and S&W. The XDs is awesome shoots well with very little recoil given the caliber and size of the gun. I carry it with the 5 round magazine plus one in the pipe and a spare 7 round mag in my pocket. It is carried in a Cross Breed Mini Tuck holster and the set up is so comfortable you almost forget you are carrying.
    BTW I carry everyday all day long including when I am at work and nobody has a clue:)

18. ares338

ares338 New Member

The XDS is a great pistol. I have now put 200 rounds of all different kinds of ammo and it eats them all. I really put it to the test today and shot 100 rounds of TulAmmo. The recoil is not a factor and the little blaster is accurate as heck. I feel as protected as I can be carrying the XDS.