Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was looking to buy an XDs at my LGS for summer carry but then I searched YouTube for "xds problems" and came across a lot of videos showing problems with light primer strikes, mag release problems, etc. hoping this was just a first run type of problem and have since been corrected but I'm sure you guys know more about this than I do. Could you guys shed some light on this so I can make a good decision? Any experiences and reviews of the XDs are more than welcome. Thank you very much guys!

Just to clarify I'm talking about the XDs 3.3 45cal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
LaiePoi said:
How about HP ammo?
Never tried hp ammo. It feeds Winchester white box perfectly (range ammo) lawman also no issues ,and Winchester PDX1 230 gr. (carry ammo) without an issue. I have put several hundred rounds of the white box and law man down range, and about 250 rounds of what is my carry ammo (pdx1) without an issue.

Whatever you choose as your carry ammo even though a bit pricey to do so put at least 200 rounds through it to be sure the gun "likes" it. I know pricey but how much is your, or your families life worth. I do this with all my pistols.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ctshooter said:
Never tried hp ammo. It feeds Winchester white box perfectly (range ammo) lawman also no issues ,and Winchester PDX1 230 gr. (carry ammo) without an issue. I have put several hundred rounds of the white box and law man down range, and about 250 rounds of what is my carry ammo (pdx1) without an issue.

Whatever you choose as your carry ammo even though a bit pricey to do so put at least 200 rounds through it to be sure the gun "likes" it. I know pricey but how much is your, or your families life worth. I do this with all my pistols.
Thanks for the info! I actually use PDX1 as my carry ammo also in my glock 30sf so it's good to know it feeds well in the XD-S. I saw that the XD-S is coming out in 9mm but I'm more of a ,45 guy. Just looking for something slimmer to carry during summer. The G30 gets a bit bulky during that time if the year in lighter clothing so the XD-S fits the bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,159 Posts
LaiePoi said:
Thanks for the info! I actually use PDX1 as my carry ammo also in my glock 30sf so it's good to know it feeds well in the XD-S. I saw that the XD-S is coming out in 9mm but I'm more of a ,45 guy. Just looking for something slimmer to carry during summer. The G30 gets a bit bulky during that time if the year in lighter clothing so the XD-S fits the bill
No problem at all. If you do end up getting it also look into the pinky extension that Pearce makes for the mag. Well worth the $10 or $15 it cost
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ctshooter said:
No problem at all. If you do end up getting it also look into the pinky extension that Pearce makes for the mag. Well worth the $10 or $15 it cost
Yes I will definitely get the ext if I buy it. Gonna check it out again tomorrow
 

·
Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
Joined
·
4,609 Posts
Hey guys I was looking to buy an XDs at my LGS for summer carry but then I searched YouTube for "xds problems" and came across a lot of videos showing problems with light primer strikes, mag release problems, etc. hoping this was just a first run type of problem and have since been corrected but I'm sure you guys know more about this than I do. Could you guys shed some light on this so I can make a good decision? Any experiences and reviews of the XDs are more than welcome. Thank you very much guys!

Just to clarify I'm talking about the XDs 3.3 45cal
I think a lot of the problems were "limp wrist" shooting.
I have had no problems with my XDS.

Read this.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2012/08/springfield-armory-xds-pistol-update-by-pat-cascio.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
I can tell you from experience that the XDm strikers will light strike if they get oil in the firing pin. Had this happen on my 45. Clean and lubricate (extremely light coating almost dry) reassemble and problem solved. Known issue easily remedied. They also make stronger spring kits for the XDm not sure about the XDS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
InDefenseofLiberty said:
I can tell you from experience that the XDm strikers will light strike if they get oil in the firing pin. Had this happen on my 45. Clean and lubricate (extremely light coating almost dry) reassemble and problem solved. Known issue easily remedied. They also make stronger spring kits for the XDm not sure about the XDS.
Good to know. Thank you! I never put any lube in the firing pin area so that shouldn't be a problem. I just lightly put lube on the rails and the barrel is already lubed from cleaning...I use ballistol and like it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ctshooter said:
Be sure to let us know if you get it.
They just sold it 20 mins before I got there! :( bummer I always wanted the bitone but ill just wait for another to come around
 

·
Audentes Fortuna Iuvat
Joined
·
4,609 Posts
I chose the bitone myself.
Hopefully you can run up on one soon, in the meantime. ;)

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,295 Posts
Thanks for the info! I actually use PDX1 as my carry ammo also in my glock 30sf so it's good to know it feeds well in the XD-S. I saw that the XD-S is coming out in 9mm but I'm more of a ,45 guy. Just looking for something slimmer to carry during summer. The G30 gets a bit bulky during that time if the year in lighter clothing so the XD-S fits the bill
You could also look at the Glock G36 single stack. It is thinner than the G30.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top