XDs .45 pocket carry

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by danolator, Oct 17, 2013.

1. danolator

danolator New Member

Hey everyone. I am a loyal Glock guy for the most part, but in warm months, I pocket carry the LC9. Would love to pocket carry a .45, but Glock doesn't work. Looks like the XDs just might. How does it compare to the LC9 in size? And do any of you pocket carry this gun?

2. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

XDs is slightly bigger, but I can pocket mine in cargo shorts or jeans without problem. It's not ideal, but it's doable.

3. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

That is my carry weapon. Never have tried to pocket carry it. I would agree it would be doable but for me in jeans it would be a pocket full.

4. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

I have pocket carried my XDs and it is doable like the other person says. Have to be picky about what pants or shorts though. Cargo shorts have worked well for me. Any type of slacks so far have been a no go. Jeans I haven't tried...waiting to get mine back from SA :-(. I did install the Pierce grip extensions and they make pocket carry a little more difficult but I still do it. I would think the extended mag wouldn't work for pocket carry. I do have a Sticky holster that works pretty well for pocket and IWB carry for the XDs. Great gun, love it. Haven't had one issue with about 200-300 rounds through it. Hope this helps!

5. danolator

danolator New Member

Thanks. So it looks like cargo shorts, no mag extensions, and it's doable. Appreciate the input. Now to find one to shoot!!

6. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

You know about the recall, right? If not, read some of the threads below this one.

7. drtybrd97

drtybrd97 New Member

Yea might be difficult finding one. That's why I'm waiting on getting mine back. Funny thing though, SA has had it for over a week+ and i just now got a letter in the mail about the recall! Never had any issues out of mine but since I carry it every day I thought I'd rather be safe than sorry.

8. danolator

danolator New Member

Yea, I know about the recall. I figure I'll buy new production with later serial numbers.

9. danolator

danolator New Member

Saw my first post recall XDs 45 today. Looks sweet. Now let's see how low the price goes. I've seen them online for 500 and 529 at the LGS. I'm guessing demand will be low and prices will drop even further. Shouldn't be too awful long. I can definitely pocket carry this gun.

10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I wouldn't bank on it. The recall is largely preventive. For pocket carry they dont get any thinner in 45, with the possible exception of the Kahr. All depends on the production numbers.

11. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

I could see an inside the waist band being pretty nice for these. I don't carry mine since I haven't sent it back for the recall but as soon as I get it back, IWB is the route I'm going . Buy one, you will love it.

12. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Just so you are aware! I know they have sped up the return program at SA for those sent in for the recall. But in the beginning mine was gone two months from August 30-End of Oct. I do not think it will be near that long, but certainly not back in a few weeks.
    As far as carrying it in a pocket. I was disappointed to hear it was not that feasible with the magazine extension. I can not stand to have my little finger hanging over the edge of the pistol grip. So I guess I need to come up with another method of carry.

13. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I have carried my brothers Kimber Ultra carry II in my pocket. To start off with we had to improvise a pocket holster. Then the beavertail got caught in my pants a lot. I am a big guy so the pockets on my pants are larger than average. I can see the back of the XDM giving you the same issues as the beavertail on the Kimber.

Overall size the kimber is smaller than the XDM. I have pocket carried a Ruger P95 which is about the same size as a XDM. I can carry the P95. I don't want to pocket carry the P95.

My advice is don't sell your PF9 until you carry the XDM for a few months in the summer.

14. BUCSFAN99

BUCSFAN99 New Member

The OP is asking about the XD-S, not the XDM. The XD-S is much smaller than the XDM.

15. danolator

danolator New Member

Got it!! In my pocket as I write this. Fits in the same pocket holster I used for my LC9. Gonna frog lube it up & get it to the range ASAP. Shot one today & realized my LC9 needs to find a new owner.

16. danolator

danolator New Member

Of course an update is required as I will not carry this gun until it proves reliable at the range. I started another thread on that issue. Merry Christmas!

17. mahall

mahall New Member

Bought one today! Out the door 510!

18. k9guy

k9guy New Member

I like the trigger better than my glocks i had also the ambi mag release being left handed it is nice

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

19. k9guy

k9guy New Member

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1396454675.599030.jpg also like the 7 rd mag too

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk