XDM slide release

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by utf59, Jun 26, 2013.

1. utf59

utf59 New Member

when I shoot my XDM, my thumb occasionally touches the slide release, causing it to not lock back on an empty mag. I looked around on the Internet a bit and found that it's not that uncommon a problem. One of the solutions I saw recommended was to substitute an XD slide release. Has anyone here done that, and does it work?

Thanks.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

so far i haven't had that problem. i looked mine over and can see if maybe your hands are larger than mine, it could happen. is yours a full size or a compact? mine is the full size XDm40.

3. utf59

utf59 New Member

I grip as high up as I can, and shoot with my thumbs forward. It's an XDM 9 4.5".

At first I thought it was just bad form on my part or that I was letting my thumb move a bit during recoil. But I recently read a description of the grip used by Bob Vogel (a world champion pistol competitor for those who don't follow such things). He has the same issue. I'm not claiming to be Bob Vogel by any means, and I'm not trying to be a fanboy. But I figure if a shooter as capable as he is has the same problem, then there might be more to it than just my grip.

So I did some reading, and some other people people are having the same issue with the XDM specifically. I think it's because the slide release sticks out a little farther than the XD, and (it seems to me) the slide release is a little closer to the grip. It's the only full-size pistol I've owned where I could reach the slide release with my strong hand without shifting my grip a bit.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

its your grip :)

just cuz your holding it not as intended doesnt mean you arent going to hit your mark just means your going to have issues with certain features.

i think this applies

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehyGgsNTIis[/ame]

5. utf59

utf59 New Member

Exactly. I'm happy with the grip. I get the hits and have the best recoil recovery I have ever experienced. So now I'm trying to make the gun work with my hands.

If nobody knows whether the XD and XDM slide releases are interchangeable, there's a company out there that makes a slide release specifically designed to address this problem. But if I want to compete with the gun, it is no longer a Production gun if I use the slide release (near as I can tell).

The solution will probably be to get the dedicated part and switch back if I want to compete with it.

6. aandbdavis

aandbdavis New Member

I have had this issue also. I have the 9mm XDm4.5" I have alternated my grip to see what works. Lately I've been holding really high on the pistol with thumbs forward and my right hand thumb slightly over on my left hand, so it stays off the slide release. I just had the grip stippled too so I can't wait to shoot it again and see how it feels.

Attached Files:

7. num1dude13

num1dude13 New Member

I had to do the same with my thumbs on my regular XD. good looking pistol btw!

8. aandbdavis

aandbdavis New Member

Thanks. I really like running this pistol. I hope Springfield comes up with a factory alternative slide release. I plan to send it
    To the custom shop for some more work. We'll see how sweet this thing can get!

9. dva56613

dva56613 New Member

I have opposite problem my hands are so big that no matter how I hold XDM-3.8 the slide lock hits inside my thumb joint. I also have arthritis in my thumbs which make bending my thumb back far enough to operate the lock very painful. Any suggestions?

10. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

Though I do t own an xd I now have a reason to be glad I shoot left handed :)