XDm reliability

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Sonic82, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I love my XDm Compact. I haven't shot it as much as I should. I would like some opinions on the striker retaining roll pins breaking. Is it a concern? Should I replace it with the stronger one from Powder River? Anyone experience there's breaking?

2. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

I have about 200 rds thru mine w/no problems so far.

[​IMG]

3. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

I had issues with mine, but I'll attribute it to dry firing without snap caps. Mine didn't break, but it would work its way out during shooting. I just pushed it back in every few hundred rounds. I emailed SA and they sent me a new one free of charge. The new one is nice and tight after about 900 rounds, however I will not be dry firing without snap caps.

4. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

3000 rounds no one issue

5. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

I appreciate the responses here...I just thought we had more XD owners to gain more insight.

6. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Have not had any problems with mine. But I only have about 110 rounds through it.

7. B5Dan

B5Dan New Member

I guess I can't add any meaningful info, but I'll tell you this; I HATE striker fired pistols, but decided I might look into them for ease of discrete CC. I've researched about all of them, and I didn't find too many instances of the problem you mention. It happens, but it happens less than other brands experienced with their individual problems. After looking at them all I found that for the money (or even if they were $200 more) the SA XD is a great, reliable, trustworthy piece. I do like the M&P, but still put an XD on layaway

8. TNBlackSheep

TNBlackSheep New Member

Check the XD forum, this has been discussed in there.

I've got a 4.5" XDm 9mm...another 50 rounds through it today, 280 total so far, and quite a bit of dry firing with not even a hint of a problem at any time.

9. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

Good advice. Ok, nobody has experienced the retaining roll pins breaking that responded....however, does anyone find it a concern? Especially if you intend to use you XD (XDm) as a defense or CCW weapon. Hate to have it break at the wrong time.

10. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I use my XD for cc. Springfield has always bin a very good quality gun. I don't have any concern of pins breaking. But it could happen. If I was you I would go ahead and buy the stronger pins tho. I would think that you starting this thread means it is something you are worried about. Just give your self pice of mind and upgrade them so you don't have to worry about it. I might do the same.

11. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

And I'll probably do that. I...for the life of me..can't figure out why a manufacturer would't remedy the problem themselves. In the case of this line of pistols, there are really only two concerns that I've discovered. The pins we are discussing here and some pre mature rusting can take place if the guns aren't taken care of. The first is an easy fix and it would seem to me...benificial to Springfield to simply take care of it...the later, a consumer can be a little pro active and handle it.

12. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

I guess I'm a nobody... I did mention I had issues. Mine didn't break, but the circumference of the roll pin was affected, by dry fire without a snap cap, and it consistently worked its way out.

However, I still trust the gun; it's been too reliable not to trust it.

13. Sonic82

Sonic82 New Member

no...you are sombody...I guess I didn't equate a loose roll pin with the more prevalent broken pins. Not to minimize your issue at all....there's always going to be isolated issues. And I do appreciate the sharing of anything problematic concerning XD's.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2012
  14. johnconway1974

johnconway1974 New Member

I love both of my XD models, the XD Sub Compact 9mm and the XDm 45, Ihavent any issues with them so far. My next purchase will be the XDs 45 Singlestack.. Once i get out of this crap hole of a country.

15. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Been down this road - youtube has video of XDM owner who broke his and had to drive it out. My pin did start to work its way out a slight bit after 500 rds. I did not dry fire much at that time.

A FTF member did point out the manual recommends snap caps. Since I switched to snap caps, no problems.

But I DO agree this issue should have been fixed before leaving the factory.

With little to no maintenance, I've put approx 900 rds and either I've improved or the pistol is shooting better. :p.

Little worried about the rusting issue. XD site - these pistols were not mistreated and were wiped down before being put away in their case. People began to research the properties of the padding etc. (some of the pistols were even SS). No definitive answer was found.

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

just a note on storage. never ever store a pistol or rifle for a long time in a conatiner with foam of any sort. if your going to use the shipping case for storage remove the foam lining on the lid

17. rurak

rurak New Member

What does the foam do?

18. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

It traps very small amounts of moisture. And moisture can rust your gun. That is not good. It is bad.

19. rurak

rurak New Member

Thanks for that

20. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member