XDM question

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by jhbwolverine, Jul 31, 2011.

1. jhbwolverine

jhbwolverine New Member

I own a 9mm full-size XDM. Any time I take it out of the safe I check the chamber to be sure that it's unloaded, just as I was taught. The issue that I'm having is that I can't pull the slide back far enough to see into the chamber without cocking the striker, and I've heard that dry firing it can damage the striker. So I'm left with a bit of a conundrum as to what to do.

Should I stop visually inspecting the chamber and just rely on the loaded chamber indicator?
    Should I stop worrying about dry firing damaging the striker?
    Should I just leave the striker cocked after I check it?
    Should I just leave the slide locked back when I put it away in the safe?

2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Should I stop visually inspecting the chamber and just rely on the loaded chamber indicator?

Absolutely not, it's a mechanical device and could fail. Check it manually.

Should I stop worrying about dry firing damaging the striker?

Yes. You will not hurt your XD by dry firing it. It was designed to be dry fired. You can damage some weapons by dry firing but the XD isn't one of them.

Should I just leave the striker cocked after I check it?

Leaving the striker in the "cocked" position will not hurt anything. If you would rather pull the trigger to "decock" it feel free but if it were mine(and I have one) I would leave it cocked.

Should I just leave the slide locked back when I put it away in the safe?
    I wouldn't. I would rather have the recoil spring closer to a state of rest then compression. It also keep the internals of the weapon covered so dust and what not doesn't settle on them.

3. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I agree with everything above.

4. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

I too, in agreement with the supporting members.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Spitty nailed it!

You are way over-thinking this.

What you should do is stop being afraid of your gun. ;)

6. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I thought I read that Springfield highly encourages using snap caps since dry firing w/o one can damage the roll pin.

I just keep a snap cap on mine and fire after each "inspection".

7. Thadeuce

Thadeuce New Member

I'm not sure on this but I will say this: If any semi-auto discourages dry-firing, they are asking someone to buy a Glock.