Firearms Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, New to the Forum - I have an XDS and three XDM pistols, two 9mm and one 45ACP. Next pistol will be a Springfield 45 Loaded. Question, I can get 1000 45 ACP Federal Classic Hi-Shok, Jacketed Hollow Point Bullet, 185 Grain, 50 Round Box, 950 fps $20 cheaper than Federal 230 grain FMJ to be used for target practice. Any reason not too? Would be less wear and tear on the XDS verses 230 grain, right? Thanks!

·
FAA licensed bugsmasher
7,141 Posts
Odd situation, but I don't see any reason not too.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD94dVu8lqQ[/ame]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking it might be OLD ammo - my son said I should use the older stuff first cause it goes bad after time. Whatcha think ScottA? Thanks for the welcomes.

·
Banned
11,760 Posts
Howdy

Welcome to the FTF community.

Define old in terms of your ammo. How is it stored?

I have shot ammo close to 30 years old, stored in a closet with no issues. Generally speaking, should the oldest first, but if you find some you just want to try, shoot whatever you want. Ammo stored in the climate controlled environment of your house will last many years.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Welcome to FTF

Welcome from Georgia. Glad you found us. Enjoy. I agree with the others. Ammo can last a very long time if stored correctly. There are plenty of WW2 and older ammo out there that works just fine. Buy the cheaper stuff and have fun.

·
Registered
21,822 Posts
to the FTF community. We are glad to have you as a new member!

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

Please read the following, it will save all of us a lot of time and trouble:

Please DO NOT post (including in your signature) advertisements, links to sell or advertise if you are not a vendor.

New folks- Please read this!!! << Click Here

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

FTF's List Of Acronyms << Click Here

Join the Gun Owners of America, a worthy 2nd Amendment protector.

Gun Owners of America << Click Here

Please join the NRA, it serves all gun owners well.

Join the NRA << Click Here

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
TheClown said:
I was thinking it might be OLD ammo - my son said I should use the older stuff first cause it goes bad after time. Whatcha think ScottA? Thanks for the welcomes.
Old ammo??? As long as it is stored properly ammo will last longer than you and I will. You can still buy mil surplus from WW2. And it still works fine.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
TheClown said:
Hello, New to the Forum - I have an XDS and three XDM pistols, two 9mm and one 45ACP. Next pistol will be a Springfield 45 Loaded. Question, I can get 1000 45 ACP Federal Classic Hi-Shok, Jacketed Hollow Point Bullet, 185 Grain, 50 Round Box, 950 fps $20 cheaper than Federal 230 grain FMJ to be used for target practice. Any reason not too? Would be less wear and tear on the XDS verses 230 grain, right? Thanks!
A lighter grain isn't going to save wear and tear. If anything it will increase it. The lighter bullet is going to have more velocity. Which is going to have more snap to it. But its not that big a deal. Either way it will last 1,000's or rounds.

Why are you going to use hydra-shock's for practice? That's kinda expensive. If that's what your going to use for SD. I would run a box or 2 through the gun. Then just use cheap stuff with close ballistics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey IBWAR15, I could get a thousand for $20 cheaper than FMJ is why, but the higher velocity wear and tear sounds logical. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts