XDm grip safety

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Gnecro, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Gnecro

Gnecro New Member

I am about 99.9% decided on the XDm 40 for my first gun in 12 years. I had an hk usp 40 but can't shell out the cash for another one.

The only thing that I am unsure about is the grip safety. I wanted to hear from people that own any XDm about how you like the safety and is it easy to get used to?

2. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I own the xd40 and it too has the grip safety. I have had no problems with it and am happy it is there.

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I have an XD .40 that has the grip safety, hardly noticeable...

4. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I really like the XD grip safeties. It sort of "Plaxico-proofs" the firearm.

The gun won't go off without pretty well holding it correctly, but yet requires no extra tasks from the shooter. A great combination for a defense/carry firearm in my opinion. The grip safety is comfortable, hardly noticeable, and really shouldn't hinder the shooter in any way.

5. FLASHBANG

FLASHBANG New Member

I have 2 , an xdm 45 and xd9sc and very much like them without any complaints.I cc both in Kholster IWB and forget they are there, I have a few handguns and am very active so this setup works well for me.I feel that grip safety on the xd line is what makes it so special

6. Mr. Bluesky

Mr. Bluesky New Member

The grip safety really has no bearing on the shootability of the gun. You won't even notice it's there when you're at the range.

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I have an XDm 40. It's my favorite. It shoots far better than I do. The grip safety is not noticeable, and it's one of the most "safety" conscious designs on the market.

8. Gnecro

Gnecro New Member

Thanks for the replies! I am hearing a unanimous thumbs up on the grip safety. Excellent. With the bonus magazines until December 31, I am set on the XDm. Thanks again.

9. jeffsmith2208

jeffsmith2208 New Member

I replaced mine with an extended grip safety from Springer Precision. It is a great addition...
    [​IMG]

10. IXLR8

IXLR8 New Member

I have an XDm 9mm. It is the only pistol of many that I own that has a grip safety. The first few boxes of ammo I found myself unable to pull the trigger at times. It was because of the grip safety. After reassessing my grip, it appears that the gun was pointing out my poor grip. It made me concentrate more on holding the grip closer, which in turn actually improved my accuracy. It no longer interferes with my shooting, and has actually improved it.

As for the XDm, it is one of the best designed pistols I have ever owned. Everything is correct, sturdy, and serviceable. The takedown is so easy after fighting with my CZ. It is totally underrated. Buy one. I may have to get a compact to match the long slide...

Just received my bonus magazines, it took about 2 weeks.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  11. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

You actually just named my least favorite part about the XD. While the easy take down is nice, I dislike that I have to pull the trigger to get it to be broken down. That just seems to be begging for an negligent discharge.

12. doctherock

doctherock New Member

That is my least favorite thing as well, however, I check double check and triple check before I pull the trigger to do the breakdown.

13. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Yeah, same here, but we both know that not everyone is that safe or smart. I was talkin' about in general, not me specifically.

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

But no design can fix stupid.

15. mach1337

mach1337 New Member

are you talkin about a xd or a xdm? i have a xdm and never had to pull the trigger to bread it down... or am i just crazy? kinda hard to pull the trigger with the slide locked to the rear.

And to the op as far as the xdm grip safety. well i love it the xdm fits great in my hand and shoots like a champ. my wife however has smaller hands and even with the smallest back strap she sometimes has a hard time gettin the grip safty to engage. i have to readjust her grip more times then not when she shoots. so it definatly works.

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

You have to pull the trigger to take down the XD, but not the XDm.

Not a big deal, but certainly alarming in the wrong person's hands.

17. IXLR8

IXLR8 New Member

There are a series of videos on the XDm website that very thoroughly describe the advantages of the XDm. If you are thinking of buying one, it is a great investment in time. One of the selling points they really drive home is the disassembly without having to fire the pistol. Apparently it was a large effort on the part of Springfield Armory to include this needed feature.

18. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

Hmmm, maybe I'll take a look at getting an XDm when I get back.

19. Gnecro

Gnecro New Member

I ordered my XDm 40 on cheaper than dirt and had it shipped. I shot it yesterday and put about 130 rounds through it. The gun was flawless and I had no problem with the grip safety, though I didn't haven't pressed in a few times and it wouldn't fire. Most of the time, I didn't even think about it.

I love the gun. Just sent in my info for the free magazines and holder. So far so good.