XDM - Dry Firing "OK"

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Gonzilla, May 1, 2012.

1. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Just saw a youTube video where a guy said he broke his XDM striker retaining pin through dry firing and had the devil of a time with the roll pin. I have been dry firing mine w/o incident but I might have to invest in snap cap. Anyone else have a problem ?

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Buy the snap caps. They are cheap and reduce wear on the gun.

3. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Good advice, I went to XD forum and googled it - lots of people have had this problem. SA should have anticipated this and advised people to buy snap caps if they dry fire on a regular basis.

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Even if everybody including the manufacturer says its fine to dry fire whatever gun, I still refuse to do so without the caps. No matter what its uneeded stress on parts that cost more than the caps.
    Glad to be of help

5. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I had a problem with the roll pin breaking. Mine is an XDm Compact 9mm. I had loaded some manually reloaded dummy rounds to use like snap caps mixed with live rounds to check for anticipating recoil. Worked for a little while, then jammed very badly. In the process of driving the slide loose, the roll pin broke.

Took it to my armorer. He said he has had the same problem in 4 or 5 other XDm pistols. Apparently the roll pin design was changed when SA upgraded their XD design to make the XDm series. The same problem did not affect the XD series.

Armorer also said that dry firing the XD (or the XDm for that matter) is not a problem. I don't see a problem with the dry firing either, but using snap caps doesn't cost nearly what a trip to the armorer could run you. I use snap caps now.

6. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Maybe I just got spoiled w my Colt & HK which have taken bu-co dry firing for IPSC training and never had an issue. In fact, the HK seemed to get even smoother the more I used it. Can't kill a USP...

With modern manufacturing, I thought this issue was in the past with a possible exception for high end, 22 Target guns. Very surprised we are having to talk,about this now. The pistol is called XD - Extreme Duty ??(Except for dry firing).

This pistol was the darling of the gun writers, and NRA's gun of the year in 08 which they celebrated w a nice roll mark on their slide. NO one discovered this flaw ?

The good news: SA will send you two retaining pins once informed but it is up you to pound the old out, clean up any pieces which could jam things up, and then pound the new one in.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Geez, take it easy. It's not the end of the world. If you dry fire an XD/XDm, upgrade the pins and move on with your life.

http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/product.sc?productId=32

Snap caps are still never a bad idea, regardless of the gun.

8. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

You missed the point, in an Exteme Duty service weapon, this should not be necessary.

One engineer even praised the weak link design because it was designed/created to break before other (more expensive parts) were damaged. Put a stronger pin in and what will happen ? Why didn't SA do this from the start ? Was there a reason ? I don't know...?

Yes, I am upset - not quite end of the world - its more like finding problems AFTER I own the gun when IMHO this should have been discovered & fixed BEFORE the gun hit the shelves.

Last edited: May 2, 2012
  9. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I've never had a problem-
    I DON'T DRYFIRE ANY OF MY GUNS-----
    If you want to pull the trigger go shoot something :D

10. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Lord I wish it was that easy, I envy those of you who can step of the porch and just shoot. I have to use a 22 short with a long barrel just to keep the woodland critters in check.

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

UNDERSTAND & FEEL FOR YA :eek:

12. Oblivion9

Oblivion9 New Member

Trigger pull is pretty short and light. Nit really seeing much need for dry firing XD.

Got the kinks out of my technique within the first 50 glorious rounds.

Now this keltec pf9 I just bought...has a long pull and I find it affecting my aim. So dry firing is helping.

13. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

Not a month ago, I contacted SA regarding a roll pin issue. Within 48 hours, I had a merchandise catalog with a shiny new roll pin taped to one of the pages. I used to do a lot of dry firing with it, and later invested in snap caps.

**No matter how smooth a trigger is, a few squeezes a day does count as practice; and as they say, "practice makes perfect."

14. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

OK, I just got off the phone w SA and they are sending me a new roll pin as well. SA does not consider this a design flaw nor do They feel the need to include a WARNING in their manual. At least Glock CYAs it's two biggest weaknesses in its manual. No lead, no reloads.

Why ? I told them I found out about this problem while reading a Glock vs HD thread. Thank you - "Bilt" for the info & HD forum link.

SA ANSWER: The gun has a lifetime guarantee. It's not a problem because they will fix it or any other "issue" free. Good to know but the ability to "fix" a problem is not exactly my idea of prevention.

Lesson Learned: Read this forum BEFORE buying any firearm. Not a single review from any of the major mags noted this fault. Only the forums talked about it.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  15. Freedom_Eagle

Freedom_Eagle New Member

Wrong. Only perfect practice makes perfect ;) On the dry fire note I agree. My uncle a U.S Army Ranger for 25 years still serving says dry fire practice is most important! He says you can perfect your bullet placement with dry fire practice and should be done as much as possible. I can honestly vouch for that as my aim is becoming more and more accurate (in a combat since)... While the gun range is most common for people to shoot and practice aim it does nothing for you in a real life situation while dry fire you can draw your weapon on a whim bring it to a natural point of aim and squeeze the trigger in the privacy of your own home. Overall my 2¢ on dry fire.... EVERYDAY!!! I have been using snap caps since day one!

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

Been dry firing my xdm 45 pretty much nightly since about novemberish/decemberish of last year when i got it. 30-45 minutes of that a nite until i get bored.

No problems yet.

17. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

What about just dry firing occasionally?

Like before/after cleaning or say clearing the weapon during an IDPA match?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  18. fakwak

fakwak New Member

I dry fire my XD 45, the manual talks about dry firing. I have learned a lot from dry firing. This is improving my shot.

19. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

For what it's worth, there are other uses for the snap caps. Putting a couple at random into your magazine gives you the chance to detect anticipation (pushing muzzle down just before discharge). When the snap cap comes up, you squeeze the trigger as usual, but there is no recoil to cover up your muzzle dropping.

Lately I've found another way to use snap caps for this issue. I don't need to detect that I'm anticipating, I need to correct it. I found that I never, ever, push the muzzle down during dry fire. So, I started loading a magazine with every other round as a snap cap. I get one dry fire to remind myself how I should be squeezing, then one live round to practice it. Haven't dropped my muzzle once in 2-3 range trips. Gonna keep doing this for a while to allow my body (hands, arms, eyes, etc.) to get used to what the squeeze is supposed to feel like. I already know (at least basically) what I'm supposed to be doing, but gotta get the body on board to make it work.

As far as at home dry firing, I tried using snap caps for dry fire practice, but found that I eject the snap cap too often. Even with 5 snap caps in the magazine, after 5-10 dry fires, I'm crawling all over my living room floor looking for snap caps. So I'm back to empty dry fire.

20. eborden1122

eborden1122 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Look at the manual and see what it says.