Xdm compact or xds

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by nsin, Jul 30, 2013.

1. nsin

nsin New Member

Hey all,

First time on the forum, but just wanted to get some advice. I've decided to trade in my mp40c for an xdm. I have a lot of .40 ammo stored and like the round so I am sticking with the .40. I assume that springfield will ultimately make an xds chambered in 40 so should I wait for that or go with the xdm compact. I want it for a carry gun, but also want to put some rounds through it at the range.

Thanks in advance.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got an xdm 3.8 in 45acp. not a fan of the xds trigger. its not the same as the xdm series.

the only plus to the xds is if width is an issue. for me we have open carry in wisconsin i typically owb under my shirt and if it peeks out no biggee.

the xds is pretty accurate from the few ive seen in action. the xdm 3.8 with its full size mag and spacer make it into a full size frame. ive also got a 4.5 xdm in 45 acp and at 25 yards i cant really tell a difference in accuracy

not gonna tell you what to do just lay out some advantages

3. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Is xdm or xds trigger like the regular xd?

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

all three are different feels from each other. i think the xds is closer in feel to those nasty draggy glock triggers.

my pref is for the xdm trigger. its predictable in where it breaks making it a very very fast shooter.

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

As has been stated, the big difference is width, which translates to capacity. Apparently the trigger, but having never shot either of them, I wouldn't have known that.

Out of curiosity, what don't you like about the M&P?

Be sure to stop by the introductions thread and tell us about yourself.

6. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

Nooooooo I wanted an xds so bad until that. Ill have to go shoot one and see. I like the xd trigger I did shoot the competition xdm 9 and wow it felt amazing.

7. nsin

nsin New Member

Thanks for the information everyone. I have shot the xds in 45 and I thought the trigger was very glock like.

As for the m&p it was the first handgun I ever purchased. I bought it for the name and that it was made in America. I love the gun and it really got me into firearms, but I just do not like how it feels in my hand compared to the xd and even glocks Also, and maybe it's jut my shooting, after I fire more than about 50 rounds at a time the trigger just doesn't feel right and my trigger finger starts to get fatigued.

Thanks again.

8. JW357

JW357 New Member

Fair enough. If it were only the trigger, I'd say throw in an Apex trigger kit.

But if it doesn't fit you hand, it doesn't fit your hand. *shrug*

9. nsin

nsin New Member

Haha. I could change out the trigger. I've tried and tried to get it to fit better in my hand. I've tried different grips and there is something just off. I still can shoot the gun great. My wife says if I want something new I have to trade it in. But... like the old saying goes its better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Or I could sell a guitar amp and finance a new gun that way.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

yes go shoot one. or handle one. im pretty picky on pistol triggers

11. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

What ever decision you make will be right for you. But, do not go by the trigger of a new gun! The feel will change with your use. My advice is to shoot a gun or two that have several hundred rounds through them and then base your decision on the trigger feel. The difference is like night and day. By the way, I have two XD-s models, an XDM 3.8, and several Glocks. Had an M&P and did not like it either as I could not get the trigger to smooth out after a 1000 rounds. I do not believe in changing out the stock system. I use snap caps and hundreds of dry fires while watching a shoot em up, to smooth out the trigger. Good luck with what ever you choose!!:)