xdm 9mm ammo?

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by zack0923, Sep 20, 2011.

1. zack0923

zack0923 New Member

I just recently bought a new xdm 9mm 3.8 subcompact, this is my first gun so I'm trying to be careful with what I get. So I was told 9mm NATO is the best for my gun but in the carrying case it had fired 9mm luger shell from the factory. If I could get some opinions that would awesome, thanks all.

2. RecklessRegard

RecklessRegard New Member

Nato and luger are the same thing. Also, 9mm parabellum and 9x19mm. If you go into a gun store and ask for 9mm they will hand you a standard box of 9mm (luger/9x19/NATO). I shoot Federal and Winchester white box. It seems to run through my XDm reliably (over 5000 rounds and 0 malfunctions). Just stay away from anything that is Russian (corrosive + steel core= dirty and tears gun your up). I have shot a handful of different hollow points too; Gold Dot, Hornaday Critical Defense and Remington Golden Saber cycle great. Federal, Winchester and other "bigger" named ammunitions are a bit more expensive, but a few extra bucks on ammo beats having to pay for new parts on a great gun.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

9MM NATO is dimensionally the same as 9mm Parabellum (the PROPER name) aka 9mm Luger, 9x19, etc. It IS loaded hotter than US industry standard. It is about what the Europeans loaded for years.

4. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i have shot magtech, blazer, pmc, sellier & bellot. they all shoot very well out of my sr9c. 9mm/luger/9x19parabellum/nato 9mm. all equal 9mm. its different ways of saying something.. like dinner,supper,evening meal.

5. zack0923

zack0923 New Member

Thanks guys that was very helpful, I just didn't want to mess up my gun the first time I shoot it. Also thanks for the suggestions!

6. zack0923

zack0923 New Member

Another quick question, is it bad to keep the gun cocked and open with the lock through it or no because a friend told me it was but then what else would the lock be for?

7. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

sorry, personally i dont know. none of mine are kept locked. one is even kept at the ready.

8. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Keeping the slide open with the lock in place will not do anything to damage the gun mechanically but depending where and how you store it you are providing an opening for dust and lint accumulation in one of the most crucial areas. A better alternative is to ditch the cable lock provided, its only a legal CYA anyway, and get a pistol safe or case where the gun can be secured "in battery." A gun safe will allow rapid access to gun and magazine, if needed, and keep the gun out of a child's hands.

9. RecklessRegard

The only thing with keeping your gun in slide lock is, over time (probably years) your recoil spring will start to wear out. But if you shoot regularly, you will need to replace your recoil spring anyways. Better safe than sorry.

10. Glockpotion23

Glockpotion23 New Member

is that for all guns or just xd's? I used the russian stuff(all 300 rds) and it seemed fine. The box said non-corrosive plus it was the cheapest. Maybe i should go back to winchester

11. RecklessRegard

Okay.... Maybe I have over arching opinions... If the box says non-corrosive, and it is a copper jacket with a lead core, you should be okay. When its FMJ and the core is steel, thats when you start to see excessive wear. And really, corrosive primers aren't too big of a deal if you go home and clean the same day. With any ammo, I would recommend cleaning the same day; when you let junk sit in the barrel, it will take longer to clean since the porous barrel metal absorbs gunk and what-not. Not mandatory, but my .02.

12. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Your gun lock is directed at two groups: Children and Lawyers
    For the most part the lock that comes with the gun is pretty useless.

Your XD should handle damn near any competently loaded 9x19 (para, luger, nato, etc) ammo. It'll deal with the Russian stuff just fine, but there are potential long term issues. It'll handle Walmart's cheapest Federal/Winchester just fine too, which is what most of us select.

Shoot whatever brand you want, and do a respectable job cleaning your firearm. That'll serve you quite well with an XD9. And buy a box or two of decent JHPs for defense. I like Winchester Rangers, and I prefer the 124-127gr variety. YMMV, and there are a ton of other great choices for defense ammo.

13. zack0923

zack0923 New Member

Thank you that was very helpful, i purchased the federal at Walmart and plan to fire this weekend for the first time with my gun!