Xdm 9 or .45, or glock 21?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Down_Town_Dalton, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Down_Town_Dalton

Down_Town_Dalton New Member

I have no idea what gun I should buy next. I currently own a 1911 in a .45 and a glock 19. I'm ready to make my next purchase but I'm not sure what I want. I want the bitone xdm in either 9 or .45, or the glock 21. Anyone have some opinions that could help with my problem? Thanks!

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Get that XDm 45 and DO NOT LOOK BACK!!!

3. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I have Glocks and XDms, and prefer the XDms.

Do you prefer/shoot better with your Glock 19 or 1911? Odds are, the XDm is your answer if you prefer shooting the 1911. But if you prefer the G19, set your sights on the G21.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Not a doubt in my mind i'd buy the one I liked best ;)

5. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

I'm also a fan of the XDM, in 45 cal.

[​IMG]

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

Get whichever fits your hand the best and you shoot the best.

Ok, now that the standard answer is out of the way, I'm personally not a Glock lover. I do like the XD line, almost bought one a couple years ago in .40 S&W.

If it were ME, I'd get the XDM.45.

EDIT: I typed this whole response which dealt with the XDs, and then I realized you're talking about the XDM. Whoops

:)

7. Donn

Donn Active Member

Probably not the answer you're looking for, but it seems like you've got the pistol end pretty much covered with the 1911 and the 19. Since you've already got a 45, I'd look for 1) A revolver in 357mag. Or, 2) A rifle. Maybe an AR or AK platform. MHO you understand.

8. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

The 45 is fine if you keep the bbl length at 4.25 or longer (Commander length). If you go below that length you will lose too much velocity for modern ammo to perform properly so you set yourself back 100 years in terminal ballistic performance. :eek:
    The 9x19 is probably the most efficient short bbl round in the world. Even at just over 3 inches it still breaks 1000+ fps with most defence loads.;)
    Don't take my word for it. Do a little research and you will see what I mean.
    SO, to answer your question in the XDS I would STRONGLY recommend you go with the 9. In the XDM you are right at the point where the velocity starts going down drastically so I would still go with the 9:)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  9. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

I copied and pasted this from one of the other threads I posted on , There isnt that much difference between 5" barrel and the 3.3" barrel . I dont think HPs or self defense ammo is going to be a problem opening but I will let ya know here in about a week . Going to do some HP ammo shooting into some very large thick skinned balloons filled with water and see what they look like when were done

10. JimRau

Well I have been watching MANY tests with MV figures and they validate my findings. The 45 is a 'low pressure/velocity' cartridge to begin with and thus it can not tolerate even a slight loss in MV to be effective. The figures you posted above are WAY off compared to those I have seen of late!!!!:eek: The only rounds which seen to survive somewhat with a shorter bbl are the 165 and 185 gr loads. If I have time later I will try and post some of the data I have.
    To each his own, but why take the chance of this loss of effectiveness when there is no logical reason to do so?????:confused:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I am a strong believer in muscle memory. That is why I try to stick with one platform.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Jim , these were live figures right off the Chrony , I wrote down every single shot which were 5 shots each and verified by another shooter so they were not flawed. Itossed the highest or lowest depending on how far off it was from the average then added up the 4 shot total and divided them by 4 . All these were 230 gr rounds for equal comparison .

13. hkhunter

hkhunter New Member

I have both. Which one fits your hand and fits most natural to you. Either is reliable and quality. The grip angles are different.
    My XD seems thicker than the Glock

14. JimRau

Roger that. I just did some looking and have what I think is a logical reply to you.
    All guns have their own 'personality'. Some are 'fast' some are 'slow', some are accurate, some are not, some are more reliable than others.
    I just saw a test where two HIGH dollar Custom 1911's was chronyed and the velocities were VERY high! One was a 5 inch (average with 9 loads 936 fps) and one a 4 1/4 inch (same loads average 820 fps). There was 116 fps difference between the two, which is very impressive.;) Both would be classed as 'fast'.
    Then I a read a test of a factory 4 1/4 inch bbl 1911 and the results were less than impressive! The average MV from 5 loads was 706 fps!:( This is obviously a 'slow' gun.
    Then still another 4 1/4 inch high dollar custom averaged 890 fps with 4 loads.;) This too would be a 'fast' gun.
    I then read a test of several 45 'little' guns, 3 1/2 + or - bbls. They tested only the 165gr and 185 gr high velocity loads and the average was about 850 with the loads which in the 5 inch would do 1050 to 1100 fps. This is about a 200 fps loss. I would consider these guns as 'fast' for this bbl length. 850- fps would be VERY close to the lower threshold where reliable expansion would cease with these bullets!!! :eek:
    Hope this helped,
    Jim

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

We can agree to disagree, but that 50 fps difference in barrel length can vary that much in just ammo selection . Take a look at the difference between the CCI's and the Aguilia rounds . I believe what you are reading on expansion is old news , some of these newer rounds take alot lesser energy to fully expand such as the PDX1 and a few others because of the way the HP is actually formed with reliefs ,it peels back much easier. I would say that with ammo such as a Hornady match HP yes those would require more energy to fully expand because of the design . Stay tuned I plan on taking out some personal defense rounds next week and shooting these through essentially rubber tube type balloons filled with water 14" thick to simulate thick skin / human body simulation using the full length barrel and the short barrel with varied HP ammo . Should be interesting results ;)

16. JimRau

I don't see where we disagree!!!:confused:
    Your numbers verify what I said. Your MV in the short bbl guns did not even break 800 fps. So the bullets from these guns would not expand reliably on a human target. Where do we disagree????;)