Xdm 40 wont fire

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Rockjeep94, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

Tried a few different ammo, primer has hits on them but no fire??? Whats going on

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

maybe a bad firing pin? just a thought.

3. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

If the primer has a dent wouldnt the firing pin be fine? That is my thought also, it just seems wierd there is a strike but no fire... And I tried multiple different ammos

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

How old is the gun, how many rounds through it? Do you oil the striker channel? Gummy deposits may collect in the mechanism and restrict the pin from fully engaging the primer...it may dent the primer but lack sufficient force to fire the round. Strip the striker down and give it a good, thorough cleaning...inspect the pin or replace it while you have it apart.

5. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

if it was one brand of ammo it could of been that lot. but you tried different brands and the chances they are all bad is very slim. the pin could leave a mark but still not ignite the primer if its lightly striking them. its probly not positioned right, or is just defected. email Springfield they should be able to either send you a replacement or have you send it in for repair. but to me sounds like the firing pin.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think JJ and Jpyle both made some good suggestions to try out. if you had used only one box and brand of ammo, i would have suggested trying a different ammo. JPyle's suggestion does make the most sense to me.

7. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

Yeah tried 3 different brands of ammo... The gun is about a year old, probably 1,500 rounds I will cal SA tomorrow if they are open and see what they will do about it

8. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I had a light strike at an IDPA match a couple weeks ago. Rechambered it and it fired on 2nd strike. I'm up around 3500 rounds. May need to have gunsmith give it a once over pretty soon.

9. Byron0022

Byron0022 New Member

Deposits is my first though, have you done this yet?

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  10. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies New Member

as they said above..
    1. check primer, no dent go to two..
    2. disassemble check disconnecter, if you do not know what or where this is take it to a gun smith....

11. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I experienced a light strike with my XD .45 which baffled me as well. Suggestions here were to remove the firing pin and spring and clean the channel.

An amazing amount of gunk and copper shavings flushed out of the channel and she was good as new afterward.

^^THIS^^ was my first striker gun and it never occurred to me to clean this area before the problem. I now flush the chanels on both my striker guns durring regular maintenance and have had no reoccurances.

Good Luck

Tack

12. mcramer

mcramer New Member

I had an XD that had similar issues. I took the back plate off and pulled the striker out, removed the cup, and spring and cleaned all the gunk out of it, and it worked like new.