xdm 40 or 45

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by JKirby, Mar 16, 2011.

1. JKirby

JKirby New Member

I'm looking to purchase either a xdm 40 or 45. I have shot the 40 and like it, but have not found a 45 to be able to shoot. Are there any advantages/disadvantages to either caliber. Any opinions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

The .40 is a little cheaper and seems more plentiful where I shop. They are a little snappy though.
    Both are good manstoppers with the right round.

3. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I have shot both the .40 and the .45 and found that I likes the .45 better. Especially in a XD/XDm the recoil is not as snappy with the .45. But the choice is really up to you.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

For me it wouldn't even be a question....get the 45. I like the 45 round, don't care for the 40. Both are good manstoppers, ammo costs aren't much different, both can be found readily in my area so really it's what you prefer.

Do you know anyone who has one or a place you can rent one so you can shoot both before buying?

5. JKirby

JKirby New Member

went with the 45,

6. spittinfire

No pics?!?!! What gives?

7. JKirby

JKirby New Member

will get monday, ordered from budsgunsupply, it was about $150 cheaper than buying here, and the FFL dealer I'm using only charges $10, will post pics once I pick it up

8. spittinfire

Outstanding. Please follow the pictures with a range report.

Give it 500 rounds to so to really settle in.

9. mmszbi

mmszbi New Member

XDM 45, daily carry.

Attached Files:

10. chevelle427

chevelle427 New Member

i love my xdsc9 and xdsc40 if they get a xdsc45 that would me the ticket for me

11. ruggerio

ruggerio New Member

interesting. could you let me know where to get 45 for about the same as 40? i might jump on an officers model colt that i have a line on. my hesitation is that i shoot my 9 and my 40 often and i get good deals on the ammo but it seems i cant find 45 thats comparable in (i understand it is more costly to manufacture and i expect it to be higher to some degree) price and i dont want to have to spend half a days pay to shoot it once a week or more

thanks, R.

12. bowserb

bowserb New Member

Have you tried Wallyworld? Walmart Houston has 100 rds .45acp WWB FMJ for $31.99; the .40 is $36.99. Still a little steep for twice a week.

13. JonM

JonM Moderator

i can reload 45acp for less than the cost of the cheapest steel cased 9mm

14. chevelle427

chevelle427 New Member

makes me thankful started reloading 30+ years ago.

just cranked out 750 308, 1000 223 , 1000 9mm, 1000 45acp.:cool:

15. bowserb

bowserb New Member

If I were looking to get an AR, I would have to start reloading. As it is, I just settle for remembering the M-16 (the older open-end flash suppressor version) and thinking about a modern AR-15. So far, the wife screams NO to both the AR and the AK, but she's OK with handguns.
    Questions. My range--the only one nearby--does not allow you to collect your brass. Is that unusual? What would you ballpark is the total equipment investment to get started reloading? Do you need/have a special rider on your homeowner's insurance for having gunpowder on the premises? How long does it take to "crank out" 1000 rounds of .45acp?
    Thanks to anyone with answers!

16. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

It all depends on the gun range usually. Both of my two local ranges allow you to collect your own brass and take it home. Either one doesn't mind you taking it home, but they also have several buckets on the range for brass that they like for people to put their brass in so they can resell it. Regarding how long it takes to crank out 1,000 rounds of .45 ACP it all depends on what type of press you have and how efficient you are.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

yes its pretty unusual. personally i dont go to ranges i cant keep my own brass.

starting price 200-2000$ just like buying a gun depends on how deep you wanna jump.

complete starter kits can be had for way cheap in single stage versions to very pricey for a progressive and all the automated goodies

i dont have anything special other than fire insurance. but i dont stockpile hundreds of pounds of powder. just depends on your insurance agent.

takes me about 45 minutes to an hour. but i have a lot of automation for some of the bottlenecks in reloading like primer filling and case feeding

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  18. bowserb

bowserb New Member

Thanks for the info. I think I'll investigate further.