XDm 3.8

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by jwhirl413, Dec 7, 2009.

1. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

I wasn't sure if any of you guys have seen this yet, but Springfield just came out with a new XDm model. They call it the 3.8. It comes in 9mm and is deisned for conceal carry. I think it still holds 19 rounds but is shorter(3.8 inches instead of 4.5). It looks pretty nice and has different serrations on the slide. I just wish they would have come out with a 45 in the XDm first. Springfield Armory - Introducing the XD(m) Polymer Handgun

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

That is bad ***. I want one. Much easier to conceal then my 4.5 inch barrel for sure:D

3. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

I thought it was pretty sweet too, I just wish they would expand the XDm line a little bit faster.

4. singleshot

singleshot New Member

I would like it better if the stock was shorter.

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

I have an XD45 and, for the life of me, I can't see why everyone is crying for the XDm in .45. What is the big improvement....a match-grade barrel? Are the ergonomics a little different?

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I would like it if the stock was shorter too...and it needs to be a .40. :)

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

We can't get XDm's in California. I guess they're dangerous or something. :rolleyes:

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

It's suppose to have a better trigger and changable backstrap but I'm like you, I can't see a match grade barrel doing anything for most people. I have an XD45 and wouldn't mind an XDm in 45 but for now I'll settle for a new trigger.

I think it's a neat little piece but personally would have a hard time finding a need for it. Springfield is riding the XD cash cow and they should, it's a very popular weapon right now. A great weapon too I might add.

9. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

You also wouldn't have to pull the trigger to break it down

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

I have no problem with pulling the trigger....:confused:

I understand about the better trigger on the (m) version. It's just that I see the pistol as a very good self-defense weapon and, in that role, the trigger doesn't matter that much to me. If I were using the XD for competition or something like that, it would be a different story. And then the match-grade barrel would make a difference, too. But, for what I use it for.......nah.

Spitty is right, it's another way to sell more of what has already been a wildly successful product.

11. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Buy a new barrel and a trigger kit for your XD, and **VOILA**.....you got yerself virtually an XD(m)!

12. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

I also agree. I would have thought that when the XDm came out, it would be like a new model of a car and they would stop making the old models and convert everything to a M. But I guess if its selling why retool all your factories. I looked long and hard at the XD45 recently and then decided on the Sig P220. Its real easy to see why you guys rave about the 45.

13. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I think they're doing a fine job. Before they release a weapon it is tested and tested and tweaked and tested again. Not to mention all the engineering that goes into the design, before a prototype is made. Springfield is concentrating on putting out quality firearms while expanding a successful line of pistols and they're doing well.

14. jwhirl413

jwhirl413 New Member

I think they are doing an excellent job as well, which is aparent through their popularity, I just tend to be a tad impatient, and I love my XDm9.

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'm planning on getting a trigger and the barrel is still up in the air but most likely it will remain stock.

16. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

I feel your pain...illegal in NJ as well.

17. Don Davis

Don Davis New Member

SA is a good company and I like the way they bring different models to the market :cool:

I'd rather have high quality than rush stuff to market. :eek:

I do believe that the grip on the 3.8 should have been shorter to make it a good conceal gun. :confused:

18. cameronguyton

cameronguyton New Member

There is also the larger magazine capacity of with the M series. But the XD 45s already holds up to 13 rounds. I couldn't justify spending the cash just for 2 or 3 rounds more in the mag.

More I shoot and handle my XD .45, the more I love it. But if there were some improvements and they released a XDM in .45 I would probably get it.

19. NICMG

NICMG New Member

I DO AGREE! even though the 3.8 looks bad *** a 45 would have been nice. a lot of SA xd owners voiced that a 45 xdm would have been more appreciated than the 3.8 model. the only ****ty thing is no joke i bought my xdm .40 cal the day before the 3.8 came out. but i would have preffered a 45 to a smaller 9mm model.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  20. john_bud

john_bud New Member

If it was really for CC, then the grip should have been made shorter and thinner. The grip is the hardest part to conceal, not the length of the barrel.
    I don't see a need to get one. But many will.

jb