Xdm 10mm's are on the way!

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by jjones45, Feb 20, 2017.

1. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Springfield announced that this year 10mm xdm's will be released with trp models to follow after that some time. I like the idea of a xdm compact 10mm with an 11 round flush mag and 16 round extended mag.

2. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

3. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Sorry about that lol

4. Kilibreaux

Kilibreaux Member

Yeah that's all fine and good, but WE won't get them in California!

5. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

That was 2 minutes of nothing? They don't really seem that exited about a 10MM? It is a great round but has a limited following.

Deeogee likes this.
  6. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Just a announcement of 10mm's to come, that's all. What else do you want? All the companies are bringing some sort of 10mm to the market these days, which is a good thing

7. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

The 10MM has a small, but very loyal, following. These will sell fairly well. Especially of the ammo-makers bring ut a better selection of ammo

a `150 grain 10MM Gold DOT or Ranger "T" at a REAL 1400-1450 FPS from a 4-4 1/2 inch barrel would sell like hotcakes.

8. tinbucket

tinbucket Well-Known Member

Everyone that has a 10mmlikes it, that I've talked with.
    Never did understand why the FBI got away from it, because recoil was too much for some. A compact with 10 rounds would be great so long as it is not cast and bead blasted and sharp edges.

9. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

excuse me? what is wrong with cast, or bead blasted?

10. Kilibreaux

Kilibreaux Member

You know for the past 30 years I've "read" about the crippling recoil of the 10mm and why the average shooter can't handle it, but I have to say, that's way overblown for the most part.

Way back when I bought my first 10mm AMT "Hardballer" I was stunned at just how light recoiling it felt compared to a 1911.

Then, when I finally picked up a Glock 20 - shooting the hottest factory ammo on the planet (www.underwoodammo.com), I was and am surprised as just how "comfortable" the gun feels when shooting! With the 10mm one doesn't stop shooting due to recoil effects, they stop shooting due to ammunition cost and supply.

(By comparison, one stops shooting an 11 ounce S&W M340PD due to the sheer pain inflicted with each pull of the trigger!)

I simply haven't found the 10mm to be anywhere close to "brutal" in terms of recoil, but then, the 1911 really isn't all that much if one starts their shooting day with the mighty S&W 500 stoked with 440 grain LFP's making 1,500 lb-ft of KE!

So maybe THAT's the approach to training the FBI should take to training agents to handle a truly powerful semiautomatic pistol cartridge...start them out shooting something that REALLY kicks, then hand them a G20...suddenly they'll all be in love with the 10mm shooting 800 lb-ft of KE rounds!

11. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

The 1911 10 MM pistols must handle 33,000 PSI loads. Most 1911 owners are familiar with the .45 ACP, 9MM etc with a pressure range near 18,000 PSI. The properly constructed 10 MM pistols have fully supported chambers to handle these pressures. The Glock & Colt offerings do not have fully supported chambers. The Rock Island, STI, Dan Wesson etc. are heavy 3 Lbs loaded with fully supported chambers. It seems the weight combined with recoil restricts many novice hand gunners.
    I have found the 10 MM in properly engineered handguns to be a hand loaders dream. ;) This is the most interesting caliber I have found along with the .22 TCM. ;)

12. Dallas53

recoil is a subjective thing. it's also dependent upon the design of the pistol, along with grip design, and weight.

a particular cartridge in one pistol may be tame, and in lighter and smaller pistol, be unbearable to shoot.

it also comes down to personal preference in pistols and what we are willing to put up with in regards to recoil. personally, i love the looks of the Colt SAA pistols and the clones, but find them to be very uncomfortable to shoot in just about any cartridge. and i routinely shoot large bore magnums on regular basis, including hot handloads, so i'm not exactly recoil shy.

13. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Well-Known Member

I started with a 10mm AO gov't. It is not listed in any of AO's catalogs as a production Model. It is one of the pistols made for the FBI, Secret Service trials. The weak spot is the barrel bushing. I mainly shot cast lead out of her. Bought her used at a shop in 1992 or so for 175.00. I fell in love. I just bought a Sig P220 10mm Target Elite. OMG, It takes the cartridge to a whole new level. The controls are the same as a 1911, but in a modern package. I'm all set up to handload 10mm already, so it just made sense. Just an outstanding cartridge.

14. Dallas53

the 40 S&W round is in essence the 10mm Lite! nothing wrong with the 40 S&W, it's just that the 10mm is a much better round.

i just haven't gotten around to one yet, but hopefully in the future, it may happen. a friend of mine pointed out a website that intrigues him. an AR in 10mm! now i have never seen the need personally for an AR in a pistol cartridge, but that rifle in the 10mm was sure interesting.

15. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Yep, I'll be buying one of those 10mm AR's in the near future. I might even let you shoot it Dallas!