Featured XDE 9mm

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Mosin, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

i just purchased the XDE 9mm, with 3.3" barrel.
    Here's the run down:

This gun rocks. It's my new carry firearm. Out of the box, the case is very nice, almost as nice as a pelican case which I thought was a nice touch. It comes with an 8 round single stack magazine, and a spare 9 round mag. The 8 round mag has one of those pierce extensions that gives your pinky some grip, while the 9 round mag comes with that typical XD mag extension.

The firearm itself is extremely well thought out and very ergonomic. I find it fits perfectly in my big hands, while its slim profile conceals nicely. The firearm has the typical 3 dot sight, the front sight being a fiber optic. The gun comes with two lengths of spare fiber optic rods, one green one red.

The feed ramp is polished to a mirror shine, right out of the box.

The XDE is just like any other XD, except it has a hammer. The decocking lever allows you to decocking the firearm, and also functions as the external safety if you do choose to use it. I am very much in favor of the hammer and it's exactly what I wanted in a semi auto. First shot being double action, and the rest single action if you do not use the decocking lever.

Function:

I smoked this gun right out of the box to see what she had.
    I started with the accuracy test, and at 15 feet, I made one large hole, the grouping never exceeding 2". It opened up as it using double action only (thanks to the decocking lever), but even then I didn't exceed 3".
    At 21 feet, the grouping were about the same, with a few rounds opening the groups up an inch, however I think that was my poor shooting.
    At 75 feet, I placed 5 out of 8 rounds into the head of a standard silhouette target. I know the grouping would've been tighter, but at 75 feet, the front sight completely covers the head of the target.

Next I moved onto the failure to stop drill. With the 3.3" barrel, there is a little muzzle flip. It's noticeable, but not uncontrollable at all. Two rapid fire strings aimed at the heart were both on target, but about 6" apart, while the final, aimed shot, was exactly where I wanted....this was the standard result I got, after about 20-30 rounds of failure to stop drills.
    This was performed at 15 feet.

Next I moved to rapid, yet controlled fire, shooting as fast as I could, every time the front sight paused on the target. All shots were in center mass.

Next I went to smoking the gun. Shooting as fast as I could. At 15 feet, all shots were in target.

Next, i loaded spent brass into the magazine to induce a malfunction. The XDE almost completely fed the spent brass into the chamber, but they all cleared by racking the slide.

In all, I fired about 300 rounds of the cheapest 9mm the range had, including the cheapest hollow points they had. Then I ran through a box of sig sauer hollow points, and a box of sig sauer fmj. The sig ammo had the most recoil, and thus most muzzle flip.

After a few hours I cleaned her up with some SEAL1 clp, and she looked brand new. Not to mention, after the range time, and clean up, the slide is very buttery smooth. To be honest, it's one of the smoothest actions I've felt.

In all, I can't recommend this gun enough, and would most definitely feel confident getting center mass hits, accurately at 75 feet. At ranges of 21 feet and less, I can punch out the scoring numbers on the target.

I am very satisfied with this gun.

Here is a YouTube review:

2. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I want to add:

Even though the gun comes with two magazines, I wanted to get some more. I ASSume that since this gun is new, there are a scare number of magazines out. However, the XDM magazines fit. HOWEVER,the XD^E is smaller, so the 'slip on' thumb grip on XDM magazines (the finger extension XD's have, that slides over the magazine) is a little bigger than what the XD^E comes with. Because of this, the magazine will not lock into place with the finger extension on. You can completely remove the finger extension and use the magazine with a half inch of bare magazine protruding, or you can do what I did, and remove the magazine extension, saw it in half, and sand and shape until it works like the XD^E design.

Hope this helps.

3. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

One more thing to add, that I forgot in my original post.
    The XD has a takedown lever (which I love) for easy disassembly.
    On the XD^E, the takedown lever is shaped in such a way and protrudes in such a way, that it functions like the 'gas pedal' on a race gun. This gives your support thumb a very very strong purchase on the firearm, that really helps negate the muzzle flip. Making it very controllable.

4. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

They 'reinvented' the S&W 39 series! Can you say 3913???;)
    This type of semi-auto is the one I HIGHLY recommend due to the FULL DA first shot. KISS (keep it simple and safe):)

bobbb and Mosin like this.
  5. Mouser

Mouser Member

Great review...was waiting for someone to get one and post.

My biggest questions are around the quality of the trigger...how close is it to a crisp 1911? Does it have creep when firing from a single action posture? How many pounds of pull?

My experience has been single/double action pistols don't have the crisp trigger a SAO pistol does. I have a HK USP compact and it has too much take up for my liking...the CZ 75B is much better, but not the SAO for sure...your comments on the trigger would be much appreciated!

Mosin likes this.
  6. Mouser

Mouser Member

just watched video...all trigger questions answered! should have watched before posting

Mosin likes this.
  7. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for the info. I had handled but not shot this item and was impressed by it. Glad to hear you like it.

Mosin likes this.
  8. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

I bought one 2 weeks ago and love it just as much as Mosin stated in his review. It rocks ! I've only shot it once (and this Tuesdays range day got interrupted). Because its new, there is only one source for xtra mags - SpringField Armory. They did include with the gun a 20% of code at their store of which I bought a third Mag.

[​IMG]