XD9 sub compact vs tactcal/full size

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Centurian22, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

Hey all,

New to the forum, love the app, very well designed and easy to use. Got an XD question. I really like full size grips and have yet to EVER feel comfortable with shooting a handgun that I only have a 'two finger grip on' typical of sub compacts. I know the XD9 sub compact has a grip extending mag (16rd). My questions are these: does anyone think the extra inch of barrel from 3" to 4" makes much difference in accuracy or conceal ability? Also does the sub compact with the grip extended mag feel just like a full size XD or can you feel any 'Play' in the part of the grip that is actually magazine.

I'm trying to finalize my decision and jump on in to the XD world, even if I have to do layaway at my LGS to do it.

Thanks for any input!!!

2. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

I carry the XD 9mm Subcompact and love it. The extended grip does feel just like a full size gun but I very rarely use it. With practice you will most likely get very used to it with the smaller grip. I did.

I live in The Florida Keys where we dress very light and the smaller gun made a world of difference to me. Consider your wardrobe style when selecting a carry gun.

3. chazzy

chazzy New Member

Hey KeysKelly....being that you are in a warm climate and dress very light, how do you conceal carry your xd9sc and what holster? I live in northern Wisconsin and it's been extremely hot and humid for the last few weeks and can't figure out how to carry my xd9sc comfortably

4. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

It varies really. Often times in my purse. I have a pocket holster that I sewed some industrial strength Velcro on and sewed some on the side of my purse. Also I will use a Belly Band some. Most common, being in Key West, I will use a fanny pack holster. I fits my gun, extra magazine, cell phone, car keys, ID & Credit card or a small wallet all in the fanny pack. I look like a tourist or a lesbian but being Key West I blend in and I have my gun.

5. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

I live in Maine so wardrobe can vary greatly from shorts and tee's to 3 layers of long sleeves. I'm 6'1" and 195lbs so I would expect to have no problems concealing a full size. I expect to carry in an IWB holster 90% of the time and probably a jacket pocket carry in the extreme cold. I think I am leaning towards the XD9sc so I have as many available options as possible. It will just bother me if I always use the extended mag and gave up the added inch of the full size for nothing.

6. Centurian22

Centurian22 New Member

Anyone else able to provide any input on the sub compact vs full size issue?

7. XxChino13xX

XxChino13xX New Member

I actually just sold off my XD40 FS the other day, loved that pistol. My fiancée was originally shooting my XD until she got her own XD9SC and she loves the pistol. It fits her hand better and she's more accurate with it due to it being a 9 opposed to a 40. She prefers the extended mag when she shoots because she feels it gives her more control over the firearm with the full grip. She doesn't mind shooting with the standard mag, but it's not what she wants, after we shot it for the first time, she immediately said "if you're stuck on what to buy me for my bday and xmas, get me more extended magazines please". As far as concealment, I'm also in FL (Tampa area), and I carry a full size XDM40 in a IWB at about 2-3 o'clock depending what shorts I'm wearing. I don't wear pants/jeans ever really, even during the winter, I'm 99.9% of the time wearing shorts and a hoodie and you can't really tell, (and I'm not that big, 5'8" 235). I carry mine in a Blade-Tech IWB holster, took some getting used to, but it's like my wallet and keys now, I don't leave home without it.

8. CallMaker

CallMaker New Member

I carry a XD9 4" barrel at ALL times. Waist holster, "man purse", fanny pack, camera bag...all depends on the weather. I considered the SC but decided against it because of the short grip.

9. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I have a XDM 40 and love it. I'm not so crazy about the "sub-compact" XD's or XDM's. They are just too big to be a sub gun. Now the XDS I think is a different animal. That gun I may consider.

As to accuracy, I would certainly expect the shorter sight radius to have an impact on accuracy.

10. omroi2001

omroi2001 New Member

I have the XD40 subcompact and with the Pierce extention mag pinky grip I Love It. Carry it in a Crossbreed IWB Holster. Just have to wear it where it will fit properly.

11. refugeepj

refugeepj New Member

gave my xd service to my oldest son it is a fine weapon. replaced it with an xd tactical model and an xds. all three work -- reliable, accurate and shootable. the 3.3 xds has surprised the snot out of me. i shoot it as well as the full sized models. the xds hides very well obviously, the service model was more difficult and the tactical needs cold weather and a jacket. pick the one that best fits into what you require of it, do not be worried about accuracy. all three will impress.
    the xds with 5 round mag is small in my hand but handels very well. the 7 round mags with sleves make it feel better in the hand with. don't be afraid of the small ones, they shoot lkie the hand fillers.

12. GaMatt72

GaMatt72 New Member

I have not played with the subcompact yet. I like XD. I was going to get one for my carry but decided on the G27 only due to I can use the same mags as my G22. I am going to try one when I can go shooting with a friend that just picked one up.

13. genesis

genesis New Member

Go to youtube and do a search on Springfield Armory XD. You will get a ton of review videos on all of the various configurations. I just tried it. I particularly like the reviews by Hickok45. Nutnfancy is also a good reviewer.

Don <><

14. clem_

clem_ New Member

Mine has the 4" barrel and I like it alot more then the glock 19 I use to have.:D

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

i carry an xdm 45 compact. i like the shorter barrel since it is less likely to peek out from under my shirt as i carry owb 99% of the time. i use the fullsize 13+1 mags with grip extension most of the time but if i need to go a little smaller to reduce the print i can always pop in the 9 round mag. its just versatile.

accuracy is pretty much the same as my full size xdm 45. im severely tempted by the xdm 9mm solely because of the 19+1 capacity over the smaller capacity of the xd i think its a no brainer

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012