XD45 Need Input Please

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by CA357, Aug 4, 2011.

1. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I was at the gunsmith's today and seriously looked at an XD45 with a 4" barrel. It felt good in my hand but it seems a bit wide for very discrete carry. So, I'm not sure how it will conceal. I plan on carrying OWB.

My plan had been to pick up a Colt Commander, but money just got tight with the loss of my wife's hearing aids.

I'm in a bit of a time crunch to have a reliable carry gun for an early September concealed carry class. I can pick up the XD very reasonably and be good to go. As far as caliber, I prefer the .45ACP over any other pistol round for carry. .357 is great, but I want to carry a semi auto.

I have a FEG PA63 that runs like an old Timex watch for something smaller and more concealable. So I guess the XD would be more for cold weather when I'd be wearing heavier clothing.

I'm wondering about you folks who carry one, what are your impressions?

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

CA

I don't carry but I do like the XD line, might I sugest the compact if it is available. It still has the 4" barrel but the grip is shorter...comes with a 10 and extended 13 rnd mag. XD is a double stack so the wide grip is pretty much non-negotiable.

[​IMG]

3. orangello

orangello New Member

^^^ What he said; you are limited on mag capacity anyways.

My 5" still hasn't had a jam.

4. CA357

Well, he bought a number of the XD's really right and he's just got two of the XD45's, one XD40 and one XD9, all four inch models left. I guess I can live with the width, because ten +1 rounds .45ACP can put up quite a convincing argument. ;)

Who's carrying one and are you guy's happy with them?

5. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I find it hard to conceal my XD40 very well. Its bigger frame makes it stand out.

6. CA357

That's what I'm afraid of. :(

7. doctherock

doctherock New Member

I have a large frame so I can hide it a bit easier as I wear large flannel shirts.

8. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

I use a Crossbreed Supertuck and am a bigger guy but still need looser fitting clothes.

9. CA357

I hesitate to use the word slim. :rolleyes: But I'm 5'7" and around 150lbs +/- so concealment is important. However, I wear flannel shirts untucked in Winter, so that could work. I'd need to pick up a 3/4 length jacket for nasty weather, my Carhartt won't cut it.

10. CA357

Anyone else carrying an XD45?

11. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

I carry an XDm-45 with a 4.5" barrel but then I'm huge. I also often carry a 7.5" Redhawk in the winter and no one is the wiser.

I like being a fat guy. :D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  12. CA357

Whatever floats your boat. :D

I can wear a vertical shoulder holster, but a horizontal rig doesn't work for me. Maybe that's the way to go for the XD in Winter and then carry the PA63 OWB in warm weather.

13. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

XD's are great guns, but I had issues carrying one because of the wide slide and wide grip. Too big of a gap between my pants and skin making everything I wore super tight!

When carrying, slimmer IS better!

14. sublime42283

sublime42283 New Member

I carry the XD40, you should look at a inside the belt or over the belt middle of the back holster. Harder to find, but if you stand up straight you can conceal pretty much anything.

15. orangello

orangello New Member

Didn't Slawth say he used a supertuck holster on the XD45?

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I carried the 4" XD45 last winter but ended up trading out of it. It was fine with layers, but I was also carrying IWB in a Supertuck. The thickness of the gun was my only hangup. It was only practical for me for about 3-6 months a year here in Oregon. It was a great gun otherwise.

I still have an XDm45 (13+1) that I can carry in the same Supertuck if accompanied by a jacket. It'll be strictly a cold weather carry.

I've found that I prefer my BHP for OWB carry. If my wardrobe allowed for it, it's how I'd carry more often than not.

17. CA357

I like the idea of extra capacity that comes with the XD, but with my build, it's just not going to conceal. I guess 1911's are the only .45 I can carry and that's fine with me, I love 1911's.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

19. CA357

I love pies too. :D

20. orangello

orangello New Member

I just had a piece of home-made coconut pie with chocolate syrup on it. SCHLURP! A few of these each day, and you will be IWB-carrying a magnum revolver in no time.