Xd vs xdm

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by schnelting21, Feb 7, 2012.

1. schnelting21

schnelting21 New Member

What's the big difference between the 2??? Is the xd gear better?? Or what's better about the xdm then the xd??

2. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

XDm-
    Match barrel.
    Interchangeable back straps.
    Improved (IMHO) trigger.
    I believe that they changed the design so you don't have to pull the trigger as part of field stripping.
    Styling- New cooler appearance. There may be more, but those are the highlights.
    XD- still a viable platform.
    Barrel, sure the new kid has a match barrel, but the older ones are decent.
    No interchangeable back straps-the older design is actually not bad.
    Not as good a trigger as the XDm- there are upgrade kits if you are bothered by it. As polymer guns go it's not that bad.
    Trigger pull as part of take down-clear your weapon properly and you'll be fine.
    Styling-Sure, it's a bit dated, but then so is that unnamed Austrian competitor.

Just my opinion, but if you can find an XD that does what you need it to, you can save a fair bit of money with a new purchase. In my area, there are a LOT of used XDs out there and you can save even more used.

3. schnelting21

schnelting21 New Member

So a xdm 9mm for 560 is a good price

4. TNBlackSheep

TNBlackSheep New Member

Yeah, that's a pretty good price. That's what I got mine for (4.5") and I looked all over the local stores, big stores, and online before buying. Most places are 599-649.

I haven't shot an XD, but I'm loving my XDm. I've heard nothing but good things about the XD too, the m is just the newest shiniest toy. One afternoon at the range, it changed my brother's opinion from "You should get a Glock, not a Springfield" to "I still love my Glocks, but maybe I'll get a Springfield too."

5. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

Correct about the XDm change to eliminate the trigger pull to disassemble the weapon. I rented an XD 9mm subcompact for a few months while saving to buy my gun. I asked if they had an XDm compact to rent. Tried it once and bought one on the spot. Maybe it was just the longer barrel (3.8 vs. 3.1 inch) but I shot a lot better than I had with the subcompact. The nice thing about the XD / XDm is that you are choosing between good and gooder!

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

i rented xd pistols in the past never tried a xdm until my wife picked a xdm 9mm as her ccw gun. then i bought myself a 45acp version. the grip of the xd was just a little off. everything with the xd was just not quite there for me. after trying her xdm i had to have one. its a lot of little stuff that adds up to a big difference for me. the grip texture of the xdm better. the design of the mag release on the xdm is better. i like the changeable backstraps. gives the gun a good feel for me i swapped in the smallest backstrap and it was perfect.

thats all pretty subjective however

the biggest difference in the 9mm versions is capacity. xd 16+1 xdm 19+1.

20 rounds of 9mm has almost convinced me to switch from 45acp!!

the 45acp version capacity is the same. i was a very long time 1911 person, 20+ years, but i switched to the xdm for most of my ccw needs. i still carry a 1911 colt new agent at times but its rare. my need for concealed at all times is not anywhere like it used to be

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the XD is a good handgun, but with the improvements offered by the XDm, it just becomes a mch better pistol. the top of the slide is profiled a little differently from the XD also. i like the fact that i can change the backstrap and make it more comfortable for the wife to shoot. i bought mine last year, in very lightly used condition, almost perfect, for $475+tax. i still feel i made out like a bandit. IMO, the Glock is a good pistol, and one i wouldn't hesitate buying either if the price was right, but the XDm is a much better pistol that is an improvement over the Glock. if Glock were to incorporate some of the features of the XDm, they would have an awesome pistol.

8. Magnaiter

Magnaiter New Member

I've had my XDm scence 09' , it shoots Whell for me, carry it ever day bout all day but was look'n to buy the 3.8 XDm soon. I had a chance to shoot a friends compact XD an it shot jus as good as mine but I did notice a different fell in the trigger .

9. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

XDm trigger felt pretty good to me. A little different from the XD, but I'm not very experienced and may not be sensitive to the subtleties of trigger pull. Pretty sure preferences in trigger pull can be a lot like preferences in beer, largely a matter of personal taste. All I know is, XDm felt a lot better overall to me.

I had tried 1911 and one or two other semi-automatics. Settled in on the XD style mainly to avoid the manual safety. If (God forbid) I ever have to use my gun in self defense, I don't want to think about much of anything except point and shoot. I like the extra capacity of an semi-automatic compared to a revolver. In a sense, the XD is a lot like a revolver. If I have the gun in hand and finger on the trigger, one squeeze and I get one round. The safeties (which do not exist on the revolver) are built in to the trigger and the grip. When I tried the XDm the grip was only a little different from the XD, but felt a lot better. When I shot better with it, that settled my questions.

Sorry for the rabbit trail off the thread. XDm or XD, 6:5 and pick'em. Both good guns to me, for what it's worth. What matters is how YOU feel about them. Pick the one you like and run/gun with it!

10. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

I recently was faced with the same question. My buddy wants a new .40 sw, he asked me what one I liked better. I have an XD, and my other buddy has a XDm, .40 sw as well. So we headed off to the local range to try them out. XDm had a 3.8 barrel, my XD has the 4, I noticed his has a little more whip, I liked the higher cap mags, I didn't feel a big difference in the grips. My take? (Let me put on my combat helmet real quick here) Now, I'm no pistolero by any means, I hardly shoot mine, but I couldn't really see $200 worth of difference. XDm is a damn fine gun, but not worth $200 more to me.

11. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

I recently was faced with the same question. My buddy wants a new .40 sw, he asked me what one I liked better. I have an XD, and my other buddy has a XDm, .40 sw as well. So we headed off to the local range to try them out. XDm had a 3.8 barrel, my XD has the 4, I noticed his has a little more whip, I liked the higher cap mags, I didn't feel a big difference in the grips. My take? (Let me put on my combat helmet real quick here) Now, I'm no pistolero by any means, I hardly shoot mine, but I couldn't really see $200 worth of difference. XDm is a damn fine gun, but not worth $200 more to me.

12. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

Sorry bout that. Said it failed so I submitted again. Now it's on twice. Thanks iPhone!

13. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

I'm on the same page as you. I cant justify the $200 difference. I can tell you that my preference is springfield xd over the glock 22.

Shot my buddies g22; most inaccurate gun i've ever shot; wasnt just me either the 3 other buddies had the same problem.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

14. Axxe55

i bought my XDm40 for a really good price, and would i pay $200 more for the XDm over the XD? maybe, just not for sure on that one. sometimes my decisions on firearms are emotional, being if i really like something better than something else, then i will just go ahead and buy it, regardless of the price difference.

15. SmokyMtnHiker

SmokyMtnHiker New Member

Thats great for folks that can afford it. Some do not have extra income as others do. No disrespect intended.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using FirearmsTalk

16. Axxe55

smoky, i learned many years ago, that settling for less than i really wanted, just left me feeling dissatified in the long run. so i either just bite the bullet and buy it, or save up and buy it, or sell or trade something not quite meeting my expectations. i have put guns on layaway before, because i didn't have the full amount at the time. there are many ways to get what you want if it's what you really want. careful shopping has paid off on things i wanted also, but only really works on things that are commonly available. sometimes, there are things that don't come along everyday, and when they do, you just go for it, because it might be a long time before you see another one. just my way of doing it.

17. utf59

utf59 New Member

The difference in the two was enough for me, especially the trigger. Before the XDM came out, I tried XDs that belonged to friends of mine. I like Glock triggers better. But when I tried the XDM, I bought it.