XD VS Glock 19

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by iVTEC, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iVTEC

iVTEC New Member

I am really stuck on a 9mm XD after shooting my buddies, but I haven't shot a Glock 19 yet. I went to a local gun shop here and fell in love with the way the Glock 19's feel and size. I'm still a gun noob, so does anyone have some input they want to give me? :eek:

IMO the XD looks way better, but I think the Glock 19 is going to be the smarter choice.

2. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

My personal opinion would be to go with the Glock 19. The Glock has a more proven track record. The XD has a grip safety, but in today's time, a grip safety is a little outdated IMHO. Grip safety originated back when mounted calvary was still on horses, and the grip safety helped keep the gun from firing if it was dropped and banging against the horse (most common calvary pistols had lanyards). It was known as the "dead man's safety". It kept the weapon from shooting the horse or rider unintentionally. Basically the grip safety is sometimes used as a gimmick these days by the firearms manufacturers.

The XD does shoot reliably, though. I am not a big fan, but if it feels very comfortable to you shooting, that may be an omen that the XD is the gun for you.

If you want to truthfully look at things though, the XD in reality is just a knock-off of the Glock (I'm gonna hurt some feelings around here with that sentence....lol).

3. KellyTTE

KellyTTE New Member

+1 on the G19. Parts and service are more widely available as well. Since XD's are imported, and major problems have to go back to SA quite often. Getting factory parts (not aftermarket stuff) is kinda tough for the XD as well.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Well, I would say you should probably shoot the Glock and see if what you think holds water.

I am not a fan of either platforms, but plenty of people are. They both have their admirers and they both have people carrying them and using them everyday.

My vote be you shoot the Glock, and if it fits your hand better and it shoots well for you, get that one. Otherwise, go with the XD.

JD

5. iVTEC

iVTEC New Member

Thanks fellas. I think I'm going to go ahead and pick up the Glock 19c. To tell you guys the truth, I may pick up both of them eventually.

6. iVTEC

iVTEC New Member

Edit: Went with the XD9... couldn't get over how crappy the Glock 19 looks.

7. Ram Rod

Ram Rod New Member

That's a rather piss-poor excuse for not purchasing the pistol you said felt better. Remember to ask the BG first time you have to draw your pistol to save your life........."how do you think my pistol looks". I'd like to rant about what's wrong with America these days, but I'll refrain from posting any further on the obvious. Good luck with your new pistol......your 'good looking' pistol.

8. iVTEC

iVTEC New Member

Read again... I said that they both felt good to me, and I actually shot the XD. Either one of these guns is a win, but the XD is a better looking gun. I carry my sig for protection, not the XD.

Don't be a tool, "Ram Rod".

9. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I took the XD-9 over the Glock because it is just a bit more nose-heavy, and you can field-strip it in about 10 seconds.

10. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

Glad you are happy with the gun you bought iVTEC. I personally think that xd's are ugly and that glocks are pretty. But that is just me. To each his own. Now the new XDM's those are pretty.:D

11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

For me it is about feel. The glock feels too blocky. The third generation frames have finger grooves where my fingers go (I have REALLY big hands). The XD feels good to me. I don't own either but my next purchase will likely be an XD-9.

12. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I got the same impression about the glock. The XD felt a little better, but neither felt as good as the P345. I really have a tough time warming up to polymer frames anyway. The P345 just has a nice comfortable feel to it.

13. KellyTTE

KellyTTE New Member

This reply is as wrong as two boys kissing. Choose a weapon. BUY AN EXACT COPY of your carry weapon. Why? Because, that way if you shoot someone in self-defense, you have an identical carry weapon to use when the police take your primary.

Your logic fails muster, you are a no go at this station in life.

14. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

Don't be gay, KellyTTE..................

If he wants to have two different weapons, that's fine. As long as he knows how to use both of them effectively. Nothing wrong with that. It's his choice.

Your logic is void and stupid.........you fail at being educated and helpful...........return immediately to preschool.:D

15. KellyTTE

KellyTTE New Member

Multiple people already tried the 'educated and helpful' route to no avail. This thread was started as an attempt to justify a purchase already mentally made. As much as it pains me to say so, I agree with Ram-Rod, the decision making process of the OP is plain ole dumberer.

And to anyone that says 'I don't do well with Glocks'

If an 11yo girl can make do: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B2rKj4eZgo[/ame]
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  16. SGT-MILLER

SGT-MILLER New Member

What's it to you how he decides to buy guns?

.....I'm just curious, that's all.

:confused:

I guess all of our guns need to be like our carry gun. Instead of having 2, 3, 5, etc different types of guns, we need to have exact copies of our carry gun (the more copies the better, in case we have to shoot lots of people). That makes sense....................:rolleyes:

P.S. I think Glocks royally suck..............what now?

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I would be inclined to agree with the good Sgt. I personally don't prefer the plastic wonder pistol either...

I don't care how many cops carry it, how many people recommend it, how many 11 year old girls shoot well with it, but that's just me.... and the good Sgt it would appear. :rolleyes:

18. BigO01

BigO01 New Member

If it makes ya feel any better JD 11 YO Boys shoot 1911's just fine "At least mine did" and it was/is in 45 ACP not no stinkin 9mm .

19. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

DON'T FEED THE TROLLS....

Attached Files:

20. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

Glocks don't suck. If they did millions of people wouldn't have bought them. This place is really starting to turn into a bashing forum. That is why I left Glocktalk. Just because you don't like something does not mean it sucks. Do you realize you are gun racists???:D Lighten up people. To each his own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.