XD-s 9

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by TankTop, Nov 5, 2014.

1. TankTop

TankTop Well-Known Member Supporter

I've shot 50+ rounds of Hornady Critical Duty with no issues. Last night inserted a mag, racked the slide and round jammed against the feedramp. Alternated 1st round in mag and tried with one less round in mag all with same results. Luckily I had another mag with Winchester PDX-1, experienced no issues. Will test the mag when I get a chance but for now Hornady is on the shelf.

2. stag556

stag556 Member

Please keep us informed of what you find out. I have the .45 XDs and have had similar experience's with WWB hollow points. Although they shoot well and group well, it seems recently I have had them hang up on the feed ramp as well.

I was going to switch to Hornady Critical Duty once I burned up my WWB hollow points.

3. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

I have had no issues with any particular ammo. Ive tried WWB, Hornaday Critical Duty, Winchester PDX1, Federal JHP, Liberty Defense +P. I will say that both my XDs 9MM and 45 both shoot to the left. I though it was me and had my nephew try how is a LEO. Same thing... Shoots to the left. Anyone else having that issue?

4. stag556

stag556 Member

I'm glad to hear your not having any troubles cycling any ammo. Is there one that you have found seems to shoot particularly well over another. It looks like you have shot all the different types I was going to try.

As far as it shooting left I noticed that as well, at 7 yards shooting at a bowing pin I have to hold to the far right of the pin. At ten yards and more seems to be 2-3" left. I installed Trijicon night sights and am now in the process of adjusting them to compensate for that.

Glad to know its not just me though, thought maybe I just sucked shooting this gun :rolleyes:

5. Stillersfan

Stillersfan New Member

Federal seems to be the one my guns really like but your could be a little temperamental... You'll just have to experiment.

6. JerrBear48

JerrBear48 Active Member

I've put about 400 rounds of American Eagle 115 gr. FMJ through my XDs 9mm, and NO FTF or FTE. However, it does shoot to the left, and just a little low. Had my gunsmith drift the front sight slightly left, but have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I shot one mag of MagTec 115 gr. FMJ, and grouped very well for height, but still to the left. UPDATE 3/31/15: I shot 4 mags of various loads on 3/31, still a little low, and a little left. Then I shot one mag LEFT-HANDED with a rest, put five of seven in the black, one just touching the black, top but dead center, and one perfect height but 2" right. Any thoughts/suggestions? Besides the obvious, start shooting left-handed! I'd welcome any feedback.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  7. JonM

JonM Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

when handguns of good quality are off its not the gun. its pretty much 99.9% technique errors

[​IMG]

8. TankTop

So what about when I consistently hit every one of those segments?

RONWIL likes this.
  9. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I guess that would make you an equal opportunity employer of errors.... ;):smile gallery:

10. TankTop

I usually show friends my target then tell them I'll show them my new shotgun next time they come over... Note to self, buy shotgun

11. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

It's possible that you are used to a larger gun, perhaps a double stack. The grip for the XDs is much thinner which changes the pattern of pressure your finger muscles apply.

Just for kicks try shooting with the opposite hand supported. See if it still pulls left.

12. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

XDs likes "sportier" ammo. Don't go with light loaded stuff

Also appreciates a FIRM grip... no limp wristing.

Having said all that, my wife's s had one magazine that would occasionally fail to feed. I took it apart, cleaned it well, and found a rough edge like burr on the follower. kind of smoothed that out and nary of a problem since.

13. Werminator

Werminator Member

I also noticed issues with the polymer tipped Hornady in mine but when I started letting the top round tip itself upward and stopped forcing the nose down to match the rounds lower in the mag it stopped hanging up...

14. ca1survivor

ca1survivor Member

if a gun is going to fail, it be with Hornady ammo, I don't consider it for SD at all.

15. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Odd. I've fired older Hornady ammo with the XTP bullets before TAP and Critical Duty and Critical Defense came out and subsequently each of the others with no failures ever. But I don't have any XD pistols, and this thread started in 2014. But some pistols just don't like some ammo. This is why we should try brands before carrying them.

My preferred loads are God Dots and HST though, but I'd take the Hornady stuff in a pinch, form my experiences with them. YMMV

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  16. Balota

Been carrying Hornady Critical Defense in my XDm 9mm (both 3.8 and 4.5 inch barrels) for several years now. Before that I ran about 200 rounds through each of them with no flaws.

17. ca1survivor

ca1survivor Member

a while back there was a guy leaving the range with a target that looked like hit by OO buck, I didn't say anything since he was real proud of his accuracy, maybe it was you ? LOL.

18. Minorcan

Minorcan Active Member

VT Hornady Critical Defensive run fine in my XDS 45. Never had a jam or failure to fire and I've probably running 500 through it.