XD rear sight adjustment ???

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by fins59, Dec 28, 2011.

1. fins59

fins59 New Member

Can the rear sight on an XD be adjusted with ordinary tools such as a brass punch & hammer? Or do I need something more specialized? Or send it off?
    I only mention punch & hammer cause that's what a local shop says they're gonna use. Not so sure I like the sound of that.
    Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

I have no firsthand experience with hammer adjusting my rear sights on my XD45, but i have read that the sights are set pretty tightly on the XD's. IIRC, there was some tool that was better than the hammerinpunch; i'm thinking it was something like the adjustment tool for my SKS front sight, but i am not certain.

3. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Op... I wouldn't frquent them for gunsmiting services! Yikes.:)

4. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

My XDM9 sights were so tight, I couldn't move them with a reasonably hard hit with the hammer/punch.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

a proper sight pusher runs about 140$ for the xd/m and most other semi autos.

unless your doing it for a living or are going to be doing it a lot on a fleet of xd/m's its best to find a qualified xd/m gunsmith or send it to springfield custom shop for zeroing.

personally i wouldnt use the drift method with a punch on a xdm the sights are set very very tight.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  6. fins59

fins59 New Member

Guess I'll keep shooting to make absolutely sure it ain't me (which it could be). Then if it is the sights I'll have to send it off or buy a tool. Can't seem to locate anyone local yet.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/diagnosis-handgun-inaccuracy-53591/

I would try resting on a sand bag or something to steady me up & get consistent groupings to identify the problem. There is a chart in that link that shows what small problems can do to your shot placement.

If the sights are a bit off, they should stay a bit off. Also, did yousee the bit in the manual about a "six o'clock" sight picture (for consistently low/high shots at a given distance)? It is on page 40 of the manual (also available online Springfield Armory

8. Blackwaterkatz

Blackwaterkatz New Member

My XD40 shot slightly left when I first got it; tried to move the rear sight, but didn't have much luck, and did not want to hit it too hard and potentially cause some damage. I'm glad I waited, because I eventually discovered that it was my trigger pull that was doing it; one hand shots were good, two hand would go left. I still have to concentrate a little more when shooting, but I'm doing pretty well now. The weapon is more accurate than I am. :)

9. fins59

fins59 New Member

That's what I'm gettin. It's probably me, not the weapon. It's just funny, I can shoot others more accurate.
    Still gonna work with it more before I commit to tweaking anything. As well as get some others to shoot mine, see how it goes for them.

10. JohnJak

JohnJak New Member

Last thing I would want is some local yocal gunsmith beating my gun with a hammer and punch.

If he can't afford a sight pusher he is a backyard smith.

11. crazycharlie2

crazycharlie2 New Member

Orangello has the right idea. Use the chart he referenced in his post.
    I made copies of it for my friends at the range.
    I have the XD 45 Tactical and it is spot on.

12. fins59

fins59 New Member

Thanks. I'm headin back to the range this weekend to try and figure out my problem. Hopefully the chart'll help. Thanks again.

13. orangello

orangello New Member

If that doesn't work, you could always try moving the target. ;)

14. fins59

fins59 New Member

Lol. When it maters. It's probably gonna be movin anyway.

15. JonM

JonM Moderator

when i suspect im having a sight issue or if im having a monkey holding the stick issue, i try and find a couple different other monkies to hold the stick for a bit...

16. orangello

orangello New Member

[​IMG]
    I understand the simians are pretty good with their accuracy. ;)

17. fins59

fins59 New Member

Maybe I can resolve this without the monkeys. As I recall on "Planet of The Apes" monkeys with guns doesn't end to well for humans.