XD or XDM?

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by Serengeti, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Serengeti

Serengeti New Member

This has probably been asked many time but it is very hard to find on the net. What are the main differences, advantages and/or disadvantages between the XD and the XDM? I have an XD 45 and love it, better than the Glock that I used to own. Thanks for any replies.

2. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I believe the XDm has:
    • Better barrel
    • Adjustable grip
    • Better trigger
    • Whizbangs (loaded chamber indicator & striker indicator)

I own an XDm .40, but it's been a while since I looked closely at an XD.

3. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

^^^^ What he said.

I also own an XDm 40 and IIRC, you need to pull the trigger on the XD when field stripping. No need to do that in XDm. XDm also have bigger ammo capacity.

4. orangello

orangello New Member

My XD45 has these two indicators. I think it's just the grip & "match grade" barrel. I seem to recall the 9mm XDm holds a couple of extra rounds in the mag, not 100%.

There is a nice chart on the Wiki: HS2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Serengeti

Serengeti New Member

Interesting. My XD 45 has the loaded chamber and striker indicators. I'm in Canada and can't have more than 10 rounds. The trigger is good and I found it to be a very accurate gun. More accurate than the Glock I had. The XDM must be heaven. Thanks for the info.

6. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

IMO the xdm is not worth the price difference. I currently own an xd40sc and previously owned the xdm40 and xd45. They are all good guns though.

7. orangello

orangello New Member

My shooting buddy came to a similar conclusion when shopping for a 9mm; he went with the XD and has been happy with it.

8. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I have an XD45 compact and an XDm45. They're both great guns. Somewhere near equally great in fact, although I find the concealable XD compact to be a bit more useful...and it set me back about $250 less than the XDm.

I'm not unhappy with my XDm. But I'd certainly call it more "expendable" than the XD. As GoJu mentions...good gun (great gun, in fact), but not quite worthy of the 30-50% price hike in my opinion.

9. Gnecro

Gnecro New Member

I flipped between the xd and xdm 40 and went with the xdm. It is more money, but the grip is so comfortable. I am looking at an xd subcompact for conceal.

The xdm 40 is an amazing gun; accurate and reliable.

10. doctherock

doctherock New Member

XD and xdm 40 IMO shoot the same, biggest difference I've seen personally is I hold 12 in the xd40 and the xdm holds 16.

11. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Capacity and the match barrel distinguish the M's. XD has both the loaded and cocked indicators, too. Haven't seen the guts of an M to see how the slide releases (XD requires a trigger press) but simplicity is attractive.

12. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I have a six month old XD, which has the loaded chamber indicator & striker indicator. I absolutely love the XD trigger, so the XDm must be a real thing of beauty. The XDm I think was designed for the military .45 acp evaluations which were canceled. For that reason they have a thumb safety option, and the barrel according to Rob Lathem, is a match barrel.
    XD = Xtreme Duty, so does the M = match, or military?

From everything I've read or heard about them, the entire XD line is a great choice.

13. LightArtisan

LightArtisan New Member

Was just going to start this same discussion, glad to see one on page one already in progress - it was very helpful, thanks.

14. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

XD vs. XDm? Sort of like: Do you want your car with or without the premium package?
    My XD 40 SC was a pleasant surprise. For a compact carry gun it's very accurate and the trigger is decent. For my use, the upgrades are unnecessary. Much will depend on your intended use.
    Better barrel: It's not like the XD was inaccurate. Since most people just shoot discount ammo through them, I can't help but wonder if there is any real advantage to be had for 90% of XDm owners.
    Better trigger: On the XDms I've played with, I thought the trigger was pretty good. Light years ahead of the standard XD, not really, but better. I believe that there are upgrades to the XD trigger available, so that may be worth a look.
    Adjustable grips: I found that the standard XD fit well enough, but then I'm not that fussy. Only you can say if it's important to you.
    Just because SA released an upgraded model did not cause all previous versions to suddenly suck.
    With all of the hype surrounding the XDm, I will probably get a used & unappreciated XD45 at a discount one of these days.

15. remington7mm

remington7mm New Member

i picked up an xd got it to the range yesterday and couldnt be happier. i love the short and compactness of the xd 45 with the 4inch no safty. the speed loader works awsome. i couldnt be happier with it. not a flaw or jam in 200 rnds

16. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I was saving my money for the day that the XDm45 came out and was ready to order it when I was able to do some reserch on the difference between them. Then I was able to finally able to hold both of them.

I have carried a XD45 and XD45c for the past 4yrs and really love the way they carry and shoot. So I could not wait till the XDm came out. I was a little disappointed when it did. I figured it would be like the XDm9 and have a larger magazine capacity, but it was not to be.

I can not see spending the extra $200-$300 for the XDm. When my regular XD works just as good and does everything that I need it to do.

[​IMG]

17. deadworm

deadworm New Member

xdm-xd

anyone with a xd or xdm 40 or 45 want to trade for a raging bull 44 mag?

18. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

ummm.... no.

19. ObsceneJesster

ObsceneJesster New Member

Externally, in my opinion it looks much better. The XD looks Glock like with it's boxy look but the XDM looks sleeker and in my opinion feels much better in you hand. I don't mind paying $200 more for a firearm that feels better in my hand and has a better barrel.

The XDM also uses updated internals.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  20. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

If you like your XD, that is fine but please do not over exaggerate the price difference.

Springfield XDM-45 4.5" Black
    Price: $579.99

Unless you bought your XD for $280.00 - $380.00