xd or glock 19?

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by rob1990, Apr 15, 2013.

1. rob1990

rob1990 New Member

I'm looking for a new gun for my girlfriend. I have a glock 23 and she loves the size but hates the recoil of the 40 so were looking for a 9mm option so far she's held and likes the xd and the glock 19 was wondering if anyone liked either better and why? She's currently shooting my highpoint c9 and I'm looking to get her somthing a bit better.

2. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

Either gun would be great for her but, and I say but: the grip angle is not the same on the two guns. If she likes the grip angle on the G23 and shoots it well, then stay with the Glock format. If she had handles an XD, and likes it, then go that route. I think a trip to a range that rents guns would be worth your effort. Let her shoot both and then let her decide.

3. 11B3OJ3

11B3OJ3 New Member

I have a 9mm duty size xd and of all my pistols it is my wifes favorite and she handles and shoots it very well. But the best advice is to take her to shoot as many models she can and let her decide which fits her best.

4. Crazvet

Crazvet New Member

One thing I considered when I sold my G23 was almost every gun on the market uses a 1911 style grip angle, therefore if I accustom myself to the Glock I'll make it hard to pick any other weapon and be reasonably accurate w it.

5. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

One thing to consider is how is her trigger control. Pay stint ion to how she draws from a holster. Remember the glock has no external safety. And there is no 2nd chance when you take a 9mm HP to the face. At lest the XD has a grip safety and you can git them with external safety's.

Are glocks good guns? Yep. Would I chose one over an XD? Nope. Would I recommend a glock to someone for CC as there first ccw? Nope

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Has she considered any of the DA/SA options, like a CZ75b? It will be a bit heavier than the glock or xd9, BUT this will soften the recoil up.

I do love my XD45 though.

7. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

I would suggest she shoot both before deciding. I'm a former Glock owner (mod. 27-.40 cal.), but found it didn't fit my hand and actually caused a blister on my trigger finger where it rubbed against the frame when firing. Glocks are fine guns, but there is no one-size-fits-all pistol of any make. I presently carry and shoot a Springfield XD sub-compact, .40 cal, which is a much better fit for me. But, that's just me. Some ranges have rental guns for comparison while shooting them, which is preferable to just fondling them in a gun store. Good luck.

8. CoachSWK

CoachSWK New Member

I own a Glock 23 and an XD40c. I shoot competitively in GSSF with the 23, but have found the XD to be just as accurate, if not slightly more so than the Glock. I especially like the extended mags which allows a full grip. That said, my wife has an XDm in 9mm ( full sized) and it is by far her favorite! I would definitely take the advice of try before you buy. I have a good friend with a 27 and have tried it, but I much prefer my XD for the size over a 27...

9. monroe45CAL

monroe45CAL New Member

Go with a Springfield XDM 9MM over glock any day.

10. storm53

storm53 New Member

XD-9 vs. any glock

11. DavidN

DavidN New Member

Since your on an XD forum. I bet most if not all will say XD. IMO I use Glocks at my job and I hate them. My personnel weapon of choice is my XDM.

Attached Files:

12. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I have never really liked the Glock, just never felt the grip was right for me. I have carried the XD45 and really enjoyed it. I have also carried the Sig P-226/229 in 9mm, for about 15yrs. You might want to look at Sig also.

But in the end she is the one that is going to have to make the choice and not you. Look at it this way, does she or do you chose the shoes she is going to buy and wear?

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Take a look at the Ruger SR9 and SR9c. Smaller grip and more rounded. External thumb safety. Made in USA. The Smith M&P compact is also a nice pistol.

14. DavidN

DavidN New Member

Yep, I carried a Sig P226 357 for a few years and loved it also. IMO you can't got wrong with Springfield, Sig. My job at the moment carry the Glocks these days. I find these guns reliable, just do NOT like them and never will. But it's up to the buyer these days. With prices running $500 average for a Glock or Sig weighing in at $999 for a P226, the Springfield comes in at $500-$850 range. Everyone will always have a personnel preference on size, weight and cost. Sorry to blab on and on just you have the fan boys of the Glock the act like its the best thing since sliced bread lol. Well it's not, but they are good just not Sig or Springfield good.

15. danolator

danolator New Member

Huge Ruger fan of the smaller bore guns. Especially the SR & LC platforms. Also a huge fan of Glock & take issue with the above comment. The big gun manufacturers all make excellent weapons and everything boils down to personal preference and intended personal use of the weapon. For me it's Ruger for pocket carry and Glock for IWB & open carry. To each his own. So how does this fit in an XD discussion you ask? I want one!!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  16. DavidN

DavidN New Member

As I wrote above its not that Glocks are bad, I just don't like them. I also think that fit, fill and price is a big thing. Glock fans, Springfield fans, sig fans and all other gun fans will always choose there favorite guns no matter what. It don't matter if its junk or awesome. They stick with it even if they never in life shot any other pistol. Me I've shot a Glock, Ruger , sig and Springfield, hell even a HIPoint lol. They all have pros and cons in some aspect or another. I guess this is why we have a forum so we can Bragg on our personnel guns.

17. andrewquinn308

andrewquinn308 New Member

I own a Springfield XD SC 40 and a Glock 17 gen 1. And I like them both.
    I had a Glock 23 & didn't like the trigger at all.

18. k9guy

k9guy New Member

The trigger is better i agree i have owned both also i shoot alot of reloaded ammo it shoot it good

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

19. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Somebody likes XDs enough to dredge up a bunch of old threads.

20. cutthroatTrav

cutthroatTrav New Member

XD9 over G19 in my opinion but that's because it felt better in my hands and the double safety feature was very nice. However customization of the G19 is nice but everyone has a glock lol

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk