XD(M) 9mm 3.8 vs. 4.5

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by ShadowForce, Mar 8, 2012.

1. ShadowForce

ShadowForce New Member

I'm ready to purchase my first pistol and the XD(M) is a serious contender. Can someone with more experience share the differences between the 3.8 and 4.5? I know the 3.8 would be a good carry pistol and it's attractive due to the extended mag offering the full 19+1 capacity. Are there many differences in how they shoot? Is the difference in felt recoil worth mentioning?

Thanks - Bob

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Had a 4.5 & shot both but NO, not a NOTICEABLE difference between the 3.8 and 4.5-IMO-
    I don't carry a XD these days but still have a 5" Tactical 45 for bedside & truck gun ;)
    Can't go wrong with either-

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012

3. ShadowForce

ShadowForce New Member

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Most welcome- Trust me- The XD series are NOT the prettiest, sexiest or even the easiest to concel but DAM they shoot & shoot every time & hit what they are aimed at :D Leave the fancy stuff to Bar-B-Q's & showing off to others- Take a tool that works to work :rolleyes:

5. ShadowForce

ShadowForce New Member

I appreciate your advice. Is there another pistol you'd recommend me comparing this to? I've looked at the S&W MP full size 9mm and the G19 as well.

6. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards.

I have an XDm 9mm 3.8 and I have shot an XD (not m) 9mm 4.5. The 4.5 barrel length is on a full frame weapon/slide. The longer slide is a bit heavier, which reduces the felt recoil some. The solid handle (vs. either the magazine extension piece or the short magazine) provides a more stable grip which also helps felt recoil some. "Some" might be a fraction of an inch less scatter in a group. The longer barrel length almost certainly translates into slightly higher muzzle velocity with a corresponding increase in penetration.

If your purpose is home defense, probably the 4.5 would serve you better. If your purpose is concealment, the shorter 3.8 is more easily concealed, especially with the shorter magazine.

7. ShadowForce

ShadowForce New Member

Thank you Balota. I eventually want to get my CCW so i'm likely leaning towards the 3.8.

8. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I have the XDm 3.8". I also have a full size Ruger P89. That is as close as I can come for a comparison for you. The XD is easier to shoot than the Ruger is. I can shoot a full mag as fast as I want and stay on target well enough for combat accuracy if you are intending to carry for self defense. Best I can do for you without having shot the other XD's.

9. JohnnyIron

JohnnyIron New Member

I just bought the 3.8 compact and was shooting it some tonite. Man is this a sweet shooter. To me it's like 2 great guns in one. Shorter mag for CCW and full size mags for a day at the range.

I guess compared to my 1911 Colt this thing doesn't have much for recoil! LOL

I love this thing!

10. ShadowForce

ShadowForce New Member

Thanks for the feedback!

11. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Really depends on what your going to use it for ? I have the 4.5" in bi-tone 9mm and I wish I had the 5.25 as it has all the upgrades I w like. Never understood why they went w 4.5" barrel in the first place.

Try to fire a 3.8 w mag extension before buying. Some have been pinched and find it less than stable While others love, love, love it. The cost of rental & range fees is insurance against buyers remorse.

If 90% of your time is spent at the range, 5.25 is the way to go. I like stainless steel but the SS upgrade vs duracoat finish is probably a wash. Get both & your prepared for anything.