XD laser suggestions?

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by fireguy, Oct 29, 2010.

1. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I've been looking on the web at different lasers available for the xd. Midway usa has one that replaces the rear sight, most others are mounted on the bottom rail. It doesn't look like there is a guide rod laser yet for the 3.8" barrel.

Does anyone have experience with the above or another suggestion, or hopefully, a resounding endorsement? Thanks for the help.

2. Craig801

Craig801 New Member

I've got a Springfield 40xd subcompact with the Crimson Trace laser grip. I really like the feel of it.

3. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

I can't speak for the 3.8in. new XDm, but I just ordered a LaserMax guide rod laser for my XD45C. Should arrive Tuesday. I have a streamlight TLR-2 light/laser combo that lives on my FNP-45 Tac in the house/night stand that I like just fine.

4. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I've seen the one that replaces the rear sight, that would be good to not interfere with holster options. I'm not sure if I want to hang anything on the rail.

5. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

O.k., the lasermax guide-rod laser is awesome. I know that they don't offer one for the 3.8 yet but I think it is worth contacting them about and seeing what sort of time line they can give you.

6. fireguy

fireguy New Member

That is a good suggestion, get them some motivation to get the thing in production. I'm glad to hear that it is a good system, I would prefer one of them. How much work is it to replace the takedown lever with the one that has the controller? Does it just hold in with detent?

7. SGT_Calle

SGT_Calle New Member

Very easy. You just slide the lever out with a little wiggling and muscle and slide the new one in. The switch can be pressed from either side of the frame. It's like a three position button where the middle position is off so, if you turn it on with your right index finger, you turn it off with your left. Also, cool note: the laser stays off when the slide locks at the end of a magazine.
    I shot with it at 10 and 15 yards and it was super accurate.

8. tireless

tireless New Member

I have a Viridian C5L mounted on the lower rail of my XDM. It has a smaller footprint than the SXD they market for the XD's (doesn't extend below the trigger guard) and has a very bright LED light to boot. Viridian C5L Gun Laser Sights | Viridian Green Laser Gun Sights | Glock P22 Ruger Sig Springfield XD

It can be set to strobe the light only, strobe the laser only, solid light only, solid laser only, strobe the light with solid laser or strobe the laser with solid light. Plus it shows up well outdoors in natural light. It was easy to sight in and holds zero when I take it off and put it back on.

It is more obtrusive than the op rod lasers you asked about and there aren't a lot of concealed holster options out there. Viridian makes an inside the belt for the Walther that will accomodate the laser and the website indicates more are coming. It all boils down to what you intend it to be used for and where you intend it to be used it at.

I think it's the best all around pistol laser option out there. lMHO, jw

9. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Thanks for the info, Tireless. You hit the nail on the head with the holster part. I really like the kydex type of holsters, and they are molded to fit without anything hanging on the rails. I'll have to search holsters for the model I have, I'm not sure what all is out there.

10. Krazeehorse

Krazeehorse New Member

I have a lasermax in my XD40SC and like it very much. I think if you called Lasermax they would give you a straight answer on how far away from production they are for your gun.

11. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I used the on-line message system on Lasermax's site to ask about their plans for the 3.8" barrel. Hope to hear from them soon. I've got the itch to buy something.

12. fireguy

fireguy New Member

response

This is what I got back from Lasermax:

We released the 4.5" XDM in 9 and 40. We can take orders at
    1-800-527-3703 and ask for sales Monday-Friday 9-5 EST or on line now.
    The success in the marketplace will determine if or when we will
    design one for the 4.5 inch .45 ACP and the 3.8" version in 9mm and 40.
    Check our web site for "new release" information as it develops. Our Uni Max
    in red or green will also work on the rail of both XDMs.
    Uni Max Laser UniMax Rail Mount Laser Sight Thank you for your interest in
    LaserMax.

So I guess it is up to y'all with the 4.5's to buy them up so they will make one for me. I'm counting on you, guys, shell it out!

13. forecon8654

forecon8654 New Member

Ammo for .40 XDM?

Can anyone tell me the best ammo to get for my new .40 XDM? I have heard ball ammo is the way to go. I would appreciate any feedback though from people with one or who knows for sure! Thank you and I really enjoy this forum... Sorry I didn't reply about the laser mounts too! I thought this would not show up like this actually.

14. mykelb

mykelb New Member

I agree with SGT Calle. I have the same, the only issue is activating the LaserMax is when the XD45 is layed on it's side, that the activation switch does not rest on something that depresses it and turns it on. I did contact them before the XD45C Laser was available and they did reply.

15. itsmycall

itsmycall New Member

XD9SC, very pleased with my rear laserlyte, never interfers with carry selections. I've had mine over a year and carry daily.

16. KentuckyBob

KentuckyBob Member

If I rememeber correct they had some problems with those that replace the rear sight. I put a set of CT LG-448 Laserguards on my XD40 Service and they are sweet!! ProTech.com has a cheap OTW Nylon holster called the intimadater that fits the pistol and laser perfect.

Protech Outdoors - Holsters

17. Tommy34

Tommy34 New Member

I've got a crimson trace on my sub i like it i just cant wait for lazermax to make a guide rod for it though:cool:

18. Tommy34

Tommy34 New Member

I have found in my 10,000+ rounds in both my XD's they will eat what ever you throw in them pretty much the only problems i had was with steel cased ammo

19. Rangar

Rangar New Member

I lust checked out their sight! Wow cant wait to get one. I just need to start saving up.:D

20. capstone

capstone New Member

I have the full size .40xdm...I went with the NcSTAR compact flashlight/green laser Item #AQPTFLG Absolutely love it.