XD caliber recommendations

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by in_motion, Nov 23, 2009.

1. in_motion

in_motion New Member

I'm looking into getting a pistol for both carry and plinking (hopefully only the latter exclusively). I've decided on the xd, as soon as funds allow, but am undecided on caliber. I've fired my brother's glock . 40 and found it rather unweildy. I've read that the xd in .45 is manageable for even beginners, but I don't want to get something I'm not going to be able to handle.

I guess what I'm looking for is something cheap enough to plink (I surely need the range time) but have the stopping power for carry (which I hope will never come to).

Thanks in advance!

2. singleshot

singleshot New Member

I have and use the 9mm.

3. DrJason

DrJason New Member

9mm is going to be cheaper to buy (and thus shoot) than either .40 or .45

4. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

I'm no XD fan, but the modern 9mm hollow point is a fine defensive round if you do your part with the aiming. 9mm is the cheaper of the three in ammo price and usually the easier to find in the store. Practice and skill with the 9mm can make up the gound you lose to the 40 and 45's power if you can't afford to get out and shoot them as much.

5. Ubergopher

Ubergopher New Member

I have an XD 40 and I highly recommend it. It kicks about the same compared to most 9mm weapons I've fired.

Remember, the best weapon you can carry is the one you can afford to also keep ammo for. I mean sure owning a Nighthawk 1911 would be awesome, but not if you spend all your money on that and can't afford to ever shoot it.

6. in_motion

in_motion New Member

Thanks for all of the quick replies! I had been looking at the .357 sig, but in doing research, it looks to be a bit rare. I've always heard 9mm is shiat for stopping power, but if a hollow point will do the trick, I'd rather field the cheaper round.

7. User Name

User Name New Member

Trust me, a 9mm 147gr hollow point will do PLENTY of damage to somebody. Even if it does not kill them on the first shot it will definatly take them down. Unless they happen to be on SPEED or soemthing. Thats what the 15 round mag is for. :D Seriously though a 9mm hollow point will do the trick. 9mm is also ALOT cheaper than the .40 and .45

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I've had the XDSC9 and I still have a XD45 service model. If I was shopping for a carry XD, I would go for the XD45 compact. Why carry a 9 when you can carry a 45 in an almost identical package?

9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I have an XD .45 Compact myself - and I have very few poly guns. If ammo price is a huge factor for you - get the 9mm as it's very effective with good SD ammo...

10. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

I'll throw in another vote for the 9mm xd!

.40 ammo seems to be more readily avaliable in my area though.

11. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

I see you're vote and counter it for argument's sake.

I've shot the three (9mm, .40 cal and .45 cal) and feel that .40 is a great compromise. You can feel the difference in power from the 9mm and still shoot accurately at a reasonable rate of fire. I know the 9mm is great, good enough, etc., etc., but the .40 is the way to go in this weapon and a perfect compromise between power, speed and capacity. (In my opinion of course)

12. ARnoob

ARnoob New Member

I have the XD45 and love it! The recoil is almost non-existant. Now the 45ACP round isn't cheap, but it's lot's of fun! I know that I've already posted this, but here's some footage of my brothers and I shooting it. I hope that this helps you with the decision making process.

http://johnny556x45.blogspot.com/2009/11/springfield-xd-45-acp.html

:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  13. orangello

orangello New Member

I also have the XD45 (5" geezer barrel) & really enjoy it. Ammo has been a pain to find until recently, but it is more available now at many online outlets. I would prefer to get shot with the .45 vs the 9mm; i wanna go quick. :D

Hearing protection FTW!

14. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

9mm is a good defensive round, just steer clear of the 147 grain stuff. Tests have proven time and again that the 125gr variety of 9mm HP is more effective. If you want a bigger, slower round (which the 147gr is), you're better off going with 45acp.

40sw is almost as affordable and easy to find as 9mm. The 40 will cost about 20% more for range ammo, and runs about the same as 9mm for HPs.

357sig is a great defensive round, but range ammo can be quite expensive and difficult to find. It can actually cost more than 45acp for practice rounds. This is why many people who own 357sigs get a drop-in barrel that allows them to shoot both 357sig and 40sw from the same gun. The mags are intechangeable, and the extra barrel will set you back about $150.

15. JMB1

JMB1 New Member

I have the xd-40 service model , great shooter. Have never had a single problem with it.

16. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

I agree. By the numbers, 40sw seems to be the ultimate value round. Great round when it comes to cost and availability. 40sw is always the easiest range ammo to find at my local Walmart (@ 25-30 pennies/rd). And for defense ammo, it's a great balance of weight, speed, and power. I guess this is why it's such a popular law enforcement caliber.

Plus, you can drop a 357sig barrel in many models for a little extra fun.

17. in_motion

in_motion New Member

thanks for the great info guys. i think i'm leaning more toward the .40, based on your info and the fact that my brother, who's experience i value rather greatly, fields this round. i definitely want to find a range that rents weapons to test it out before i take the plunge. anyone know of a range in indianapolis that does?

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

You REALLY need to shoot the model you are considering purchasing. Recoil will vary from model to model. Ergonomics vary from maker to maker. Shooting a Brand X .40 w/5" barrel and steel frame will not give you a clue what to expect from a brand Y .40 w/3" barrel and polymer frame. The difference is like the difference between a V-8 Chevy 1500 and a LS-7 Corvette.

IMHO any handgun collection MUST start with a 3-4" 6 shot D/A .357 Mag revolver.

19. diggsbakes

diggsbakes New Member

Absolutely. No question about it.

20. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Now that I have that covered a couple of times over, can I purchase other weapons?