Xd 45 vs glock 21

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by hq357, Nov 6, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

Which one holds more 45 acp? Can you buy an aftermarket barrel for the xd like you can the glock? Wich do you think is the better 45.?

2. stag556

stag556 New Member

Don't worry about which one holds more, or who says what about one gun is better than the other. If you are interested in buying a .45 go to the LGS and rent the ones you are interested in buying and shoot them, see which one fits you the best and buy it. Every one has there favorites, likes and dislikes. Most all manufactures of guns be it SA,Glock,SW,Ruger,Kimber,Sig Sauer, etc etc etc all make good reliable guns.

Its not about capacity, but your ability to shoot accurately that counts.

3. hq357

hq357 New Member

Its not for me im not buying either yet. i just want to have a discussion, see what what people think is a better gun maybe ill learn somthing im bored. :) im more familiar with glocks so id probably go for the 21 but i do like the look of the xd and if it holds more than a glock then id probably change my mind.

4. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

I prefer the XDm over the Glock.

Capacity is the same between the two. The XDm doesn't feel so much like a brickbat. Man, that Glock grip is HUGE!!

I despise the fact that Glock barrels can't shoot lead cast bullets, especially in a .45acp. I also hate the fact that the chamber isn't supported.

Ohh, and the Glock is WAAAYYY ugly!!! :D

5. cblowe13

cblowe13 New Member

I prefer the xd. I think it's ally smoother less muzzle flip and recoil. The xd .45 is also more concealable for me. Although the glock is a fun gun I prefer Springfield over glock. I prefer xds over both but just my opinion. You can buy aftermarket for both. Glock is of course easier to find though.

6. Norseman

Norseman New Member

I'm pretty happy with my .45 XD 5" Tactical

I'm thinking about a G17 though.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

get the xdm not the xd. much better upgraded design. you dont need a aftermarket barrel with the xdm its superb out of the box super accurate. they have outstanding triggers for a polygun almost on par with 1911's.

there are aftermarket barrels but the factory barrel is really good its not like a glock that needs almost everything replaced or tuned to run...

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

In .45 the Glock chamber is supported. The .40 S&W chambers are the ones that are not fully supported.

9. hq357

hq357 New Member

Supported in what?

10. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

An unsupported chamber means that there is a small area of the casing's side exposed.

Supported means that the entire casing is covered/supported by the chamber.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. JonM

JonM Moderator

the base of the case which the part just ahead of the rim. stock glocks do not fully support the 45acp base. most autoloaders just leave the portion where the the case curves in then out to for the rim unsupported. the glock barrel leaves a large portion of the case body exposed.

the xdm fully supports the case. the reason glock leaves that gap is to increase reliability. the side effect is it can lead to kabooms when the pressure goes up for any reason.

this is also what most "throat jobs" do which is why i dont have that done to any gun.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i much prefer the ergonomics of the XDm over a Glock. feels much better in my hand than the Glock. now i can shoot a Glock decently, i still prefer my XDm over a Glock. as a general rule, the pistol that fits your hand the best, is usually the one you will shoot more accurately simply because you can control the recoil better.

i also have to agree with JonM, the XDm is an improvement over the XD platform. the XD is a good pistol, but the XDm is a much better pistol. match grade barrels, a better feeling trigger, interchangeable grip back straps, more streamlined slide and better sights.

13. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

What would be the purpose behind purchasing a barrel for the XD? :confused:

You do realize that the reason they sell aftermarket barrels for most Glocks is because the factory barrels don't play well with lead ammunition. The XD doesn't have that issue.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  14. hq357

hq357 New Member

Because I'm also thinking about 10mm to use when I'm hiking or camping. with the glock you can just switch barrels and go from a glock 21 to a 20. Can the xdm do the same?

15. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

Nope...ain't no XDm 10mm. You won't find any mags.

16. arizona98tj

arizona98tj New Member

I assume you have looked at the dimensional specs of these two cartridges. How do you intend to address the very notable difference in case head measurements between the .45ACP and 10mm?

17. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an XD45 compact. It comes with a 10 and a 13 round mag unless you live in one of the big brother states. The Glocks just dont fit my hand well so I went to the XD. It is 34 oz loaded with 11 230 grain rounds. There is nothing wrong with the accuracy.

Attached Files:

• XD45.jpg
      XD45.jpg
      File size:
      31.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  18. k9guy

k9guy New Member

I hit everything i aim at with mine

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

19. XDMBOB

XDMBOB New Member

I wouldn't trade my XDM 45 for 2 Glocks. I have about 5k rounds through it and have not replaced anything! There is a reason Glock has so many aftermarket parts available!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

20. DP03

DP03 New Member

I have owned both and no longer have my G21. Perfectly reliable, but as other have pointed out, the ergo on the xdm is better, at least for me.