XD 45 Serious trouble

Discussion in 'XD Forum' started by C-Melancon, Jun 21, 2010.

1. C-Melancon

C-Melancon New Member

Hello to everyone, I am new here and this is my first post.
    I had a very bad day saturday and wanted to share it with you guys and see what you thoughts were on it.
    I was out shooting my 8 month old XD tactical 45, factory winchester 180 grain hollow points. Sent about 4 rounds down the range and that was the end of it. The right side of the gun under the slide blow off, cracked that handle all the way around, blew the clip out.
    good thing is I was not hurt got a few scratches on hand but nothing bad.
    I brought the gun back to the guy I purchased it from and he will be sending it to springfield today and he told me he never seen this happen before.

so what do you guys think springfield will do about this?

2. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Any pictures?

Glad you're all right.

3. C-Melancon

C-Melancon New Member

thanks an no sir i did not take time or even think about taking any pictures. everything went down so fast an i was so scared i just wanted to get to someone or find something out about the gun.

4. KBlue

KBlue New Member

damn! glad you're ok. I've never heard of an XD kb before. I hope the issue is with the ammo rather than the gun itself. Here's some additional hope that the response from springfield is prompt....

5. General_lee

General_lee New Member

I've seen this happen to a M&P .45 but never an XD.
    What caused the M&P to blow was a reload round with a double charge of powder.

6. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Sorry to hear about the mishap and glad a fellow Louisiana resident didnt lose a hand.
    If the ammo was factory ammo, I'd give the Winchester people a call once Springfield lets you know what they think. If it was a reload I could only guess it was a hot load.
    I've seen "factory ammo" at less reputable gun-shops that didnt have all the same ammo in the box. I promptly let them know its a lawsuit waiting to happen.

It sounds like most of the force was pushed down toward the clip and handle which leads me to think the barrel wasnt completely seated in battery before the round was fired.
    There are a lot of variables that can make a handgun have a critical failure, but the most common is the ammo being loaded too hot.
    Keep us updated, I'm interested to find out what could have caused such a critical failure.

7. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I am so sorry to hear about your XD. Even more glad that you recieved nothing but a few scratches.

Make sure you take pictures of you XD before you send it back to Sprinfield. Ensure that you keep all the ammo and empty cartirdges from that day of shooting in case you have to send it back to Winchester.

8. C-Melancon

C-Melancon New Member

I would like to thank everyone that has replied so far. as for as reloads the gun has never shot reloads, i had only shot factory rounds, all rounds were bought from a local dealer that is only first class. for as pictures i acted so fast on the situation that i did not even think of taking any. the gun is already on its way back to springfield we should hear something by the end of the week or for sure next week i was told. I sent five rounds of the same ammo with the gun and i still have about eight or nine left at home. again i want to thank everyone. soon as i hear something i will post it.

9. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Kinda like this?

[​IMG]

Glad your all right, otherwise you might be all left.

10. C-Melancon

C-Melancon New Member

yes sir that is the same spot. but instead of hanging on mine blew all the way off. and also from the safety on the back it cracked all the way around to the left side holding the gun....
    did you send yours back to springfield?
    if so what did they do for you..
    do you know what caused yours to do this failer?

11. orangello

orangello New Member

I'm glad you didn't get hurt. I am also VERY interested in what went wrong, especially since i own a XD45 tactical. I don't know that i've tried any of the winchester ammo in it, though; usually i shoot Blazer or Federal or Remington (limited options here).

12. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

What kind of Winchester Ammo were you using?

Have you contacted Winchester and informed them about what has happened? Pretty sure that they might be interested in something happening to a firearm using there ammo?

13. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Oh, that isn't my XD, those are not MA compliant :rolleyes:.

14. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

I could not imagine what it would be like to live in a state that tells me what firearms I can or can not have.

15. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Check it.

Its easier to list the firearms that are legal in MA than the ones that are illegal. :rolleyes:

16. Phelenwolf

Phelenwolf New Member

DAMN! That list sucks I am really happy I live here. Who knows one day they may wake up and change there minds or you all may end up electing the right people in to office and change everything.

17. mesinge2

mesinge2 New Member

That list makes no sense. Why can you own a Rock Island 1911 in 45 ACP but you can't own a Colt 1911 in 45 ACP. I don't get it! :mad:

18. FlBob518

FlBob518 New Member

It looks as if the gun company does not run it through the MA safety test, it does not get listed. I see there are several companies not even listed. No telling what it costs to have it "approved"! When I head out in my RV next Spring, it looks like I will be avoiding most of the North East states. My sister lives in MA. Too bad sis!

19. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Wow, this is the first I'm hearing of this. Is it only happening with the XDs with safties? I've got thousands of rounds thru mine without a problem but it doesn't have the safety.

20. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

Can you say Commie Liberal anti-gunner? That's why.