X-ray shielding

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by thesalos, Nov 20, 2010.

1. thesalos

thesalos New Member

Is x-ray shelding safe to use for bullit casting

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Should be just lead. It may be just lead with no additives and you would need to add to it like tin or something else. Sure someone will be along to get you a good solid answer. I don't see why it wouldn't be safe.

3. orangello

orangello New Member

Does the shielding pick up any kind of radiation from repeated use?

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

not from an xray machine. lead itself wont retain radiation. all the impurities mixed in can but medical xray machines of modern manufacturer do not generate enough radiation to irradiate things. your more at risk handling the lead itself via heavy metal poisoning than any residual emmissions. i dunno about industrial grade xrays for scanning materials.

5. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Lead and Gold are the two metals that block/absorb radiation without themselves becoming radioactive. X-ray shielding is perfectly safe. It should be treated as virgin lead and alloyed "up" with Tin and or Antimony for proper bullet use.

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Lead is the bottom of the radiation food chain- it is what radioactives decay INTO. It cannot be radioactive.

X-Rays- no residual radiation. When you turn off the power to the tube, it quits making X rays. They are a form of light, and quite different from alpha, beta, and gamma.

Test hardness of lead for alloying. May need to add more tin/antimony. Beware dust on lead bricks. Lead oxide, bad ju-ju to breathe. Wear gloves, wash skin after handling. Do not drop on foot. Do not drop into pot of molten lead.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Looking for some "hot" loads for those bears again?

8. orangello

orangello New Member

Yup, hoping to cast with a nice big hollow-tip to hold the cyanide.
    ;)

9. stick_man

stick_man New Member

X-ray shielding is (as has been said already) very nearly pure lead. It makes great muzzle-loader projectiles as is. For handguns, you will want to add some tin and antimony to it. Mix it 50/50 with clip-on wheelweights for a good alloy for mild and medium handgun loads. For magnum handgun loads, I'd probably go 50/50 with linotype. For most rifle loads, you will want linotype.

If you are loading for handguns or rifles, you may consider offering it up for trading fodder and get some of the harder alloys. There are a couple other forums that discuss almost exclusively with shooting lead that would be worth checking out. I'd be happy to point you in their direction via PM if you are interested.