wyatt earp

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by brandonannette, Aug 18, 2012.

1. brandonannette

brandonannette New Member

A quetion that been asked for years since the ok corral shoot out was it a smith and wesson or was it colt butline that was used

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

In re: Buntline- legend and TV shows notwithstanding- one story was that after being gifted with that LOOOONG barreled Colt, Earp took the gun to the blacksmith, who chopped the barrel. :eek:

3. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Active Member

The entire story of the Colt Buntline Special has been disputed and refuted. Colt records show no "Buntline Specials" were ever made for Ned Buntline (Edwin C. Judson). Long barreled SAAs were made, but none went in a batch to any known characters.

Most accounts have Earp carrying a 5 1/2" barredl Colt.

Incidentally, family members insist the name is pronounced "ARP". I served in Korea with a distant descendant of Wyatt's. Never met him, just an article in "Stars and Stripes."

Bob Wright

towboater likes this.
  4. Ibmikey

Ibmikey Active Member

If the real Earp had a buntline ( believe Bob’s post above) at the OK I should hope it is not the rubber one he often had on the tv show, the barrel was conspicuously bent after hitting citizen on top of head :rolleyes: And that would affect accuracy a bit.

MisterMcCool and SRK97 like this.
  5. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

That was to shoot from cover.....

towboater, locutus and MisterMcCool like this.
  6. Donn

Donn Well-Known Member

Earp preferred a Colt, as it would hold up to pistol whipping someone. Whatever handgun Wyatt had that day, he carried it to the gunfight in his coat pocket. He didn't have a gun belt & holster. It was correctly depicted in the movie Tombstone, one of the few aspects of the gunfight that was correct in that film, except the outcome of course.

towboater, kfox75 and tinbucket like this.
  7. hotchilipowder1

hotchilipowder1 Member

Some say a Colt...some say a S & W Scofield.....we'll never know, except it was not a Buntline. I've read many books on Wyatt Earp and he seems to have borrowed guns to use at various times when needed. Learn about the Earps....read "The Last Gunfight by Jeff Guinn, FYI

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Josey Wales/Sam Wilson carried a Schofield revolver, a pair of em, Earp carried a Colt !.................

towboater likes this.
  9. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member Supporter

there have been so many books and movies made about Wyatt Earp, many of them fictionalized or embellished to the point that fact has lost out to fantasy, and the truth is probably for the most part lost to history.

much like Jesse James, and Billy the Kid.

locutus likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a small town named Earp, Calif located across the river from Parker AZ.

11. F4U

F4U Well-Known Member Supporter

Please explain Josey Wales/Sam Wilson. I thought Josey Wales was a fictional character from the movie " The Outlaw Josey Wales" based on the Forrest Carter book "Gone to Texas". Was the character based on a real person? This is one of my favorite movies and the book is even better.

In the movie he carries a pair of Colt Walkers in holsters on his hips, an 1851 Navy .36 in a shoulder holster, an 1860 Colt Army under his belt buckle, plus 4 pistols on his saddle, but those don't seem to be documented in the movie, but they are in the book.

SRK97, towboater, 303tom and 2 others like this.
  12. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

My mistake, but yes he was real and it was Bill not Sam, I should have looked it up before I opened my mouth/put finger to keyboard !..........

Josey Wales” was more than a tale, a script, he was real and his name was Bill Wilson and as Ronie Atnip writes at: ntex-news: The story of Bill Wilson has been told throughout the Ozark Mountains since he began his bloody career in 1861 to the present day. He is a true folk hero.

Ghost1958 and towboater like this.
  13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

He prolly carried a long barrel Colt Marshall Dillon was his hero and role model.:D:D

Dallas53 and towboater like this.
  14. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

The fictional character, Josey Wales may have been based on the " Bill Wilson " mentioned above but I was unaware of that until now . The author, Forrest Carter, pulled off one of the greatest literary hoaxes of all time ( read link ) :
    http://www.radiodiaries.org/the-two-lives-of-asa-carter/

15. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

Earp's position as Sheriff and gunfighter is legendary, but a student of
    history finds his real occupation much less glamorous than depicted in
    fictional accounts and movies. He was essentially a glorified bouncer,
    greatly respected by the towns he worked in for keeping rowdy drunks
    in line, and making sure
    the gaming at the bars stayed within reason. He was also appreciated
    for the generally available presence of his brothers, Virgil and James.

The Earps preferred to close with their adversaries, and avoid gunplay
    whenever possible, as their vocation was keeping the peace, not
    shooting people, and of a busy weekend, it was a bulk business.
    The point being a short barreled Colt would have been the sensible choice
    for someone who had a gun, but generally chose not to use it as such.

While it's considered that he followed his brothers James and Virgil
    around, and had positions under them, writers preferred his name,
    as it had a nicer ring to it, and caught the public's imagination more readily.
    Much of the finer points of the history and specifics has been lost to the sands
    of time, however.

16. Dallas53

Wyatt Earp was probably as much an outlaw as he was lawman.

when legend exceeds the truth, always go with the legend!

303tom and Imurhuckleberry like this.
  17. Donn

Donn Well-Known Member

Fact is, the OK Corral would just be a footnote in history and the Earps would've been portrayed as the bad guys were it not for 1) Wyatt outliving the other participants, the opposition in particular, in the gunfight. And, 2) Stuart Lake, Wyatt's biographer. To say he embellished Wyatt's life is to say the least. At the time, the cowboy faction had more money, could buy better lawyers and media influence. Until Lake's "biography," Wyatt Earp Frontier Marshall, the Earps were considered the bad guys at the OK Corral. Lake's book, for better or worse, turned all that on a dime. The winners do indeed write the history. As mentioned elsewhere, Jeff Guinn's, The Last Gunfight and Paula Mitchell Marks, And Die In The West are probably the most definitive works on Earp, the OK Corral, and the aftermath.

Ghost1958 likes this.
  18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Yeah, you know like a LOT of em today !.............:rolleyes:

Ghost1958 and Dallas53 like this.
  19. Dallas53

but of course! :)

303tom likes this.