WWII Relic!

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by no_man_army, Mar 12, 2010.

  1. no_man_army

    no_man_army New Member

    yesterday whilst i was at work i recieved a phone call asking me if i could identify a ww2 relic somebody had dug up, so when i got home they brought it round for me to see and told me "it was covered in rocks and shells so we hit it all off with a chisel " lol after seeing what it was they found im supprised they were still alive! after i told them what it was they took it straight home and called the police (after polishing and chiseling it a bit more in their kitchen!) anyway here it is... a British 18 pounder shrapnel round!!!!

    09032010552.jpg 09032010556.jpg 09032010559.jpg
  2. c3shooter

    c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

    That could have been the fastest redecoration of a kitchen in history! From the marks on the driving band, looks like was fired, but failed to detonate. Possibly bad fuse.

    As we have development encroaching on military bases here in the US- or are closing and recycling older military bases, we are encountering more and more UXOs. I am working on a training document for contractors over the next few months on the Do's and Don'ts for these. Hammering on one in your kitchen is VERY high on the Don't list.....

  3. opaww

    opaww New Member

    What c3shooter said
  4. Ubergopher

    Ubergopher New Member

    ...Yeah... I'd give a call to the closest base and their EOD shop...
  5. slowryde45

    slowryde45 New Member

    Years...more like a lifetime ago...:p, we grew up overseas on air bases, one of which was Clark AFB, in the Philippines. Well, as young school kids, we crawled around under one of the school buildings chasing bugs and whatever. Digging in the sand and dirt under our building, we uncovered what looked to be a round "pot". So we kept digging at it, trying to dig it out of the dirt. I can't remember how many times we punched, kicked, and hit that thing with sticks, rock, fists, and feet. When it started getting "long" instead of round, we got more curious and invited the older kids to come look at it. Well...the excitement caught the attention of the teachers, who promptly moved us out of that area, and the base EOD came out. They closed that area of the school for a week, while they pulled out our "pot", which turned out to be a 132 pound bomb, from WWII, unexploded and still live :eek: A search of the surrounding area turned up another one, and several rounds of 7.7mm machine gun rounds, and quite a few 20mm cannon rounds, they think all came from a Japanese Zero.

    Clark, used to be Fort Stotsenburg, originally an Army air base, that got hit the day after Pearl Harbor did. So we used to scour all over the base, up in the hills, in the swamps around the golf course, and behind the high school. We found all kinds of war memoribilia, relics, ammo, guns, munitions, etc. The hard part, was trying to keep it. Whenever you packed your household, Air Force and US Customs did a heck of a job making sure of "what" you had :mad: I must have given up a fortune in U.S. and Japanese helmets, swords, pistols, rifles, munitions, uniforms, radios, you name it. What got us in hot water was finding a case of Japanese hand grenades, and throwing them down this river valley. Nothing happened, for the longest time. Then all hell broke loose, and we had the base security police and OSI all over us before we even knew what was going on. No one's dad's lost any rank over all of our shenanigans, and luckily none of us ever got hurt.

    But in the times we were stationed over there, on Guam, and Okinawa, we did hear of several enlisted men, and a few dependents, losing their lives when they found things. It wasn't rare for the items to be booby-trapped, and over the years, the explosives would become very unstable, so it didn't take much to set them off. At Clark, an officer's kid found a 20mm cannon round that was all rusty and corroded, and used a hammer to knock the rust off. He was the first fatality we heard of, and hit close to home, because that came from an area that we always dug around in. You can still find alot of that kind of stuff out there if you look...just be careful ;)
  6. Hey-you-guys

    Hey-you-guys New Member

    Wow, Slowryde. That is truly awesome, man. Wish I could grow up finding stuff like that. Closest I ever came was a lead cannonball.
  7. Rick1967

    Rick1967 Well-Known Member

    Hey, a lead cannonball is better than enything I have ran across.
  8. saviorslegacy

    saviorslegacy New Member

    Holy ****! You shoulda started a museum!
    What was the most exotic thing that you guys found?
    Also, what kinds of guns did you guys find?

    I found an old presidential button once. I think it is from the 1800's.
  9. gorknoids

    gorknoids New Member

    Digging up anything like that can rapidly become the last thing you ever do. Get the police on the scene first of all to secure the area, then let the pros figure out what they have and what to do with it. There are all sorts of reasons for a round like that not detonating as designed, but that doesn't mean they are safe.
  10. orangello

    orangello New Member

    A friend of mine works as a driver on pipeline projects. He switches projects & companies frequently. He left a project in MS last year, and heard a week later that they dug up some artillery shells of some kind. He was glad to have switched to a GA worksite. IIRC, the ammo was from some ancient training session & had been layed out along a line that happened to be the same line the pipeline was following; the military peeps found some other locations that the pipeliners would've hit later.
  11. slowryde45

    slowryde45 New Member

    The best 'haul' I ever found, was in a cave that was dug into the side of a hill behind the NCO club on the base. Looking back now at what we did in that cave, I shudder to think how 'brave' or completely STUPID we were. About 100ft into the cave, it just disappeared into what looked like a flooded cave-in. Well, I got this 'notion' to put on my diving mask and snorkle and see if it went anywhere :rolleyes: As STUPID as that was, since most of the caves were loaded with snakes, rats, bats, spiders, not to mention things that could go BOOM, it actually worked out, and I swam about 50ft under water to another room deeper in the cave.

    It was there that I found the remains of a Japanese officer, in a kneeling position, clutching a small sword. From his position, it looked like he had committed seppuku, rather than surrender. The wakizashi sword he used was still in great condition, even over all the years. And in a kind of chest by his side, was the rest of the ceremonial robe, head piece, a tanto knife, and his samurai sword, along with personal papers. Across this room from him were a couple other remains, we thought they were probably his men, both looked to have been shot, execution style.

    It was very surreal in there, because everything was almost like it just happened. The uniforms were pretty tattered, from decay and rats and other creatures eating on them. But the badges and insignias were in great shape. There were about 4 remains of Arisaka rifles, all rusted and would almost fall apart to the touch. Most of the stocks were eaten up. But the officer had a Nambu pistol that was protected in that chest. It was still kind of pitted, but in decent condition. Probably the thing that bothered us the most, was a collection of papers, including letters that GI's had written to family and girlfriends. We tried to make out names and addresses, but most had deteriorated too far.

    So, I swam out and came back with plastic sheeting, garbage bags, whatever I could find to recover what we could. And most of it we did. Until I was getting ready to come back to the US for college. That's when US Customs found all that stuff and basically took it :( But, they did manage to contact the officer's surviving family, through the Japanese embassy in Manila, Philippines. Before I left, his family was flown to the base, the Air Force EOD team drained the water out of the cave, and they recovered the remains for the family. I was rewarded by someone who turned out to be the officer's grandson, for finding him and his men. My reward...a complete Nikon F2 camera system, including almost every lens they made, motor drives, tripod, case, you name it. Turns out, his family was very high up in Nikon's corporate structure, so that explained the gifts, as he put it, it was the best he could do. Only one problem...I would have rather kept the things I found:( But I gratefully accepted the gifts, and was glad that the families could finally have some closure, almost 33 years later.

    We still have friends who live out there, and they still have some of the other things we found out there. That includes the remains of a 1919 machine gun, 4 garands, a S&W model 10, a couple Lee Enfields, a few kyu gunto swords, helmets, radios, and all kinds of badges, patches, hats, etc. I left it all with them, because I knew I could not sneak it out past the Air Force and US Customs. So they have my collection. Oh well....

  12. saviorslegacy

    saviorslegacy New Member

    You went treasure hunting and find **** like that.
    I went treasure hunting and found..... arrow heads and a partial Native American pipe.
    I think you came out on top TBH. Treasure hunting for WW2 stuff is one of the coolest things I have heard yet.

    You should go back there on vacation and crap and retrieve some of your stuff. Boy what I would do to go WW2 treasure hunting.

    In other news...... I was just talking to a friend of mine from Austria and he said that they had just found a bomb under a road using radar or something. The road crews can't get to it right now because it is in the middle of an intersection. LMAO Man it must suck knowing that you are driving over a bomb. They said that the likely hood of it damaging anything in a case of it exploding is low since there is a layer of concrete and asphalt above it. That and the likely hood of it being set off is low. They are supposedly going to shut that section of town down this summer when there are fewer tourists.

    I wonder when people will stop uncovering this kind of stuff.