WWII Luger markings

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by PeterLuger, Jan 19, 2013.

1. PeterLuger

PeterLuger New Member

Hey guys,

So, I'm at my grandpa's house and he has a WWII Luger and said that HIS father's friend (an expeditionary) picked it up from a German trooper (rank unknown) and it only has ONE marking. I want to know if this is standard issue and would also like to know the selling value.

EDIT: Also, the rifling on the barrel is almost invisible, as it was apparently used extensively in battle.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  2. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Is that D W M on the toggle?
    My old eyes cant tell.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013

3. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Yes that is a DWN front breech block on the toggle. It looks like a Russian capture or "Volpo". They picked up tons of Lugers and refinished them removing or defacing the German stamps. That is a parts gun which has been refinished. I would say Russian.:)

4. 25-5

25-5 New Member

Try
    1916 DWM P-08 Luger

5. 25-5

25-5 New Member

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

That could also be one of the Post War "Fabs". Allied troops took over the arms plants. There were hundreds of Lugers made from what ever parts they could find. The DWM on the toggle means nothing. Hell that could have been a Simson Frame who knows. It is not legal anyway lacking serial numbers.:)

7. PeterLuger

PeterLuger New Member

So you're saying it's a russian capture? It doesnt have any other markings, just that. I thought it was from a german officer.. Also, could I get a value?

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

A parts luger will bring $900 or a $1,000 dollars. Problem here is if there is no serial numbers on this gun it is contraband. You can not legally own transport or sell this firearm. These firearms could have been given a legal serial number during the amnesty of 1968. After the closure the guns have been illegal to own.:eek:

9. PeterLuger

PeterLuger New Member

Oh ****... Well anyway, its not like im gonna just start taking it everywhere so lets just leave it at that.
    But I'm sorry to keep pulling at that string but just to be sure, you guys are positive that it is a russian capture? 'Cause that would be kinda confusing, given how it got to my family...
    Anyway, thank you all for the information!

10. Garadex

Garadex New Member

But doesn't a gun made before than not need a serial number?

11. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

My friend just bought a savage bolt action 30-30 (don't remember the particular model), at a LGS and the serial # wasn't legible. And they still sold it to him.

12. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

No as I posted there was a federal amnisty period after 1968 to allow these guns to be numbered. Any firearm without a number after that period is illegal.
    The problem is if you are convicted of owning such a weapon it can cause the loss of your rights to own firearms.

13. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

given the story of the acquisition, I doubt if it is a Russian capture. If the story is true then is is probably a pre NAZI Luger with the DWM scroll. However it should have a serial number. Lugers were hand fitted and the parts should have at least the last 2 digits of the serial number since the parts are not exactly interchangeable. A parts gun would not have matching numbers. Do you have the original magazine and does it have a wooden or aluminum knob? An original magazine would have a wooden knob. If there are no other markings on the pistol including a serial number, then you have an enigma and a possibly illegal one at that.

14. PeterLuger

PeterLuger New Member

We keep the gun in another house so I cant verify the serial number but the knob is wood and is also cracked. I think I remember a serial somewhere..

15. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The front toggle marked DWM means nothing I replace toggles a wear part with what every I have. If the frame is DWM it will be stamped in the magazine well.

16. PeterLuger

PeterLuger New Member

I only found this serial:

Attached Files: