WWII Bayonet

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by warrioroftheland, Apr 25, 2009.

1. warrioroftheland

warrioroftheland New Member

My wife to be was left a japanese bayonet from WWII over a yr ago. I was wondering if anyone might know anything about it. I can get some pictures later. It has never been clean ( still has blood on the blade and scared to clean it for fear of messing up the blade ) and still being held by its Wooden scabbard. It was brought home by a Sailor of the US Navy. It sat in a closet for yrs. The rifle that went with the bayonet is said to be in the house some where but we have yet to find that..... YET.

2. cbw

cbw New Member

Pictures would help, I also have one that my father got in the war. It has a metal scabbard though. Lets see some pics.

3. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

If it's an Arisaka, don't toch anything on it. Depending on the type, you'd be hard pressed to find anything but a reproduction today, so this may be very valuable.

4. warrioroftheland

I will get some pictures as soon as i can. we dont live and a lil ways apart so it might take a lil while for me to get some.

5. warrioroftheland

pictures

sorry it took so long guys. there are some number on the butt of the handle i couldnt get a picture of them. also the paint of whatever it is was on the scaberd when we was given this. the blade is about 15 inches long over all i'd say its about 20 inches long

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 27, 2009
  6. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Looks to be a Jap bayo. I have one just like it, with the rifle, bolt cover and mum still on, that my dad brought home from Burma during WWII. It was a battlefield pick-up.

7. warrioroftheland

it is i'm just trying to find out more about it.

8. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Check on the Internet. I had a great website on my "favorites" saved, showing all the different arsenal markings, dates of manf, and complete info on the different bayos the japs made during the war. However, my 'puter got a virus and I lost all that info. I do know it is on the Internet though. Good luck.

9. warrioroftheland

i found this site.. Markings on Japanese Arisaka Rifles and Bayonets of World War II
    which told me that this bayonet was made by National Denki (National Electric).... then i found this site Japan
    which told me that "Made by Matshusita National Denki, under Kokura Army Arsenal supervision. Matshusita National Denki translates to Matsu****a National Electric Co. They were founded in 1918 to make consumer household electric apppliances and have evolved into the present-day Panasonic Corporation."

AND

" Type 30

95th Series, late-war substitute-standard or "last-ditch" Type 30 bayonet. These bayonets went along with the 7.7 mm. Substitute-Standard Type 99 Short Rifle.

This example was made by the Hikari Seiki Seisaku-jo KK, under Kokura Army Arsenal supervision, in 1945. The 95th series was the final series produced by Hikari Seiki.

This bayonet exhibits the simplified manufacture typical of late-war substitute-standard bayonets:

Crude, unfullered blade;
    Straight crosspiece;
    Rectangular pommel; and,
    Riveted, slab-sided grips.

The scabbard is a late-war wooden scabbard, held together with string. "

this means that if we can find it i can add a 7.7 mm. Substitute-Standard Type 99 Short Rifle to my collection!!

10. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Hey, thanks for the link!! This is the same website I had saved!!!

11. warrioroftheland

lol nice. i forgot that i stashed away a bayonet that i was given when i was younger sooo i am going to start lookin around to see if i can get some info on it. i'll post some pics of it soon

12. marysdad

marysdad New Member

As you have already figured out, your Type 30 bayonet was made by Matshusita. This is a fairly late-war example. This would have been an 88th or 89th series piece, the 89th series being the last run of bayonets made by Matshusita. The series marks are on the pommel, along with the number you found. It is rare that one can state with any certainty that a Type 30 bayonet and scabbard are an original pair. However, this scabbard is most likely original to the bayonet. It is unique in having thicker string ties than other wooden scabbards. Compare yours to the wooden scabbard pics on my site (url below). The thick string is indicative of Matshusita manufacture.

Give the bayonet a light cleaning with superfine (0000) steel wool saturated in oil. This will remove any loose scale and stop further rusting. It would also be OK to go over the blade with acetone, lacquer thinner, etc. to try and remove the white paint. Just be sure to re-oil afterwards, so it doesn't start rusting. The scabbard is obviously quite dry and the string is likely pretty fragile. It's probably best to leave as is. If you are really careful, you may be able to chip some of the paint off with a fingernail.

Substitute-standard Type 99 rifles are quite common (as are the bayonets). You shouldn't have too much difficulty locating one at a reasonable price to go with your bayonet.

Congrats!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  13. warrioroftheland

THANKS for the info. the think about the rifle is its hidden in the house somewhere. grandpa hide it rather well. it will be found.

14. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Typically, if a sheath or scabbard is held together with string, it is so that the blade can be swung and cut through it , thereby deploying it faster than by drawing it.

I believe the Moros bound sheaths with fronds for this purpose, as well.

15. FearKVB93

FearKVB93 New Member

I have the same bayonet except it has a steel scabbard and has the National Denki under Kokura supervision markings on it. It is in great condition other than the little bit of rust due to sitting in a closet for a long time. The blade is in great shape as well.

16. marysdad

marysdad New Member

Not the case with Japanese WW II wooden scabbards. Just hard up for steel, so using substitute materials. The throatpiece is steel, so any technique to try and destroy the scabbard, to deploy the bayonet, wouldn't be nearly as effective as drawing it the usual way.

17. cregan88

cregan88 New Member

hey

hey i have what i belive is a arisaka type 30 bayonet and i was wondering if there was anyway you could help me identifiy it

thanks

18. Benning Boy

Benning Boy New Member

Need pictures.