WWII and Civil War gun collection

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by Rizz, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Rizz

Rizz New Member

So here's the deal. My grandfather was an infantryman during WWII and he picked up guns from the fallen and sent them home. He also came across a few civil war guns and added them to the collection.

There are 55 rifles and some swords that are stored in my crawl space. He intended them to be sold and the money to be used for education for my siblings and I but I have not been making great progress figuring out what most of these guns are. Out of the 55 I have been able to somewhat identify 30. I'll take any advice I can get and post pics if desired.

2. Esteban

Esteban New Member

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010

3. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Post a few detailed pics at a time. Pick 2 or 3 rifles, start a photobucket account (free) and post the pics! I'll gladly help.

4. Rizz

Rizz New Member

The pics that I took are not very big because they were taken with my cell phone. Here's one thing that I'm having trouble with... Whatever this is I have never seen anything like it before. It's got a blade that stands maybe 4in tall with circular holes cut into it standing off wood shaped like the stock of a rifle...
    [​IMG]

5. Rizz

Rizz New Member

Another one that's been puzzling me is this...
    [​IMG]
    The marking that I can make out are C Sharps Pat Sept 12th 1848 and Caliber 30 30.

It has an octagonal barrel, double trigger and looks like a model 1949 or 1950 but doesn't match the pictures I can find exactly.

It has a silver tip where the wood stock ends instead of a band and the caliber with the double trigger doesn't match either. I read that sometimes officers weapons had the silver tip? No serial number or any other markings were visable.

6. Rizz

Rizz New Member

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Bother, I am sorry, but your photos do not have enuff pixels to allow us to see details- just a very blurry outline. I can only make a couple of them, and that is just an educated guess.

8. Rizz

Rizz New Member

The pictures are better than they appear. I bypassed a step and am making a new album link. Same pics, way better quality. It'll be up soon.

9. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

The first bladed impliment is a war club, but doesnt look old, maybe a quality replica. The Sharps rifle is not an older one if it is chambered in the 30-30 cartridge.The older Sharps company never chambered a rifle for the 30-30 cartridge, in fact Sharps had been out of buisness for 15 years prior to the 30-30 cartridges introduction. Closer more detailed photos would help.

10. superc

superc Member

It could be a post Civil war modification to .30-30 done for a rifle in which bore quality had seen better days, or by an owner who.was having problems locating 56 Sharps ammo. Also copies of the Sharps have been made several times. Could also be a replica made in 30-30. Better pictures would help.

11. Rizz

Rizz New Member

12. Rizz

Rizz New Member

If you guys have any questions about a specific number I can give you all the identifying marks I was able to find and any extra info I was able to come up with. You guys have been great so far. Thanks.

13. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Have you considered having them appriased?

14. Rizz

Rizz New Member

There is a gun shop nearby that specializes in antique military weapons that has an appraiser on staff. He charges $20 per gun + more if it takes alot of research. I'm a single mother so $1,000 is not really an option right now. That's why I'm doing as much research as I can on my own, then after that I will have them appraised.

15. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

What's with this Snapfish. I have to join to be able to view the pics?

16. Rizz

Rizz New Member

My cell sends the pics directly to snapfish so the size and quality is best represented there. I guess you do have to join to see the pics but they don't send out annoying emails or anything like that.