WWI gun help

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Zombiegirl, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Below is a message from a friend of mine. I am not familiar with the guns that he is asking about and was hoping that someone would be able to help. He currently owns a musket for other re-enacting, but that is his only experience. Thanks so much!!

......... since you're into guns, I thought I'd give you some fun homework for your day off. I'm looking into getting a hand gun. Which one do you like better, a Smith and Wesson M1917 or a Webley Mark VI? They're both .45s from WWI. I'm a dork, as you know, and some friends and I are putting together a WWI impression to go re-enacting, so it has nothing to do with home protection or anything. What's it like firing a .45? Do you know where I could get a good price for such an item?

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Wellllllll...............Actually, the Webley Mark VI is not a 45. It is a .455, a smaller cartridge with a bit less power. There was a S&W 1917, and a Colt 1917, both in 45 ACP. The S&W COULD be fired without moon clips, the Colt required them.

Firing a 45 is like..... firing a 45. You know it is not a .22, neither is it a S&W 500. Recoil is there, to me more of a shove than a sharp snap.

.455 ammo will be available, but a challenge. .45 ACP is everwhere and cheap. Webley revolver may be cheaper than the S&W or Colt.

PS- old really bad joke

Is this a Webley?
    No, it's Thursday
    So am I- let's go get a beer.

3. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Thanks C3!! He'll appreciate the info. :)

4. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Well-Known Member

If it's for a re-enactment, either one would be fine. I guess it depends on whether he wants to be American (S&W) or British (Webley). I don't know much about either of these guns, so someone else should be able to give you a better answer.

Another good choice would be an 1911 that looks like a traditional 1911A1. It would probably be easier to find.

5. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Again, thank you. :)

6. BillM

BillM Well-Known Member Supporter

And then there is the S&W in .455. Picked one up a couple of weeks ago,
    cylinder has been faced for moon clips and the last 5 in 455 is x'd out.
    Came with 2 boxes of 45 auto rim ammo.

7. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Where did you get it and what was the cost if you don't mind sharing?

8. nitestalker

nitestalker Active Member

The S&W chambered in .45 Enfield is a neat caliber. This Ctg was close to the orginal U.S. Army M1878 .45 Colt {Short}. These were carried by the Brits.

9. BillM

BillM Well-Known Member Supporter

Bought it at a local estate sale. About a 60% finish gun, and as I said the
    rear face of the cylinder has been modified for use with moon clips.
    Original finish and grips, lanyard ring intact etc.

$350 with the autorim ammo and a non-correct holster. Fair price but
    not a screamin' deal. The 455 S&W's look like the 1917, but are actually
    Hand Ejector Second Models, and they don't have to heat treating of the
    1917's for use with 45 ACP. I'll use my 45 ICORE loads in it--pretty mild.

10. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Awesome Bill. Thanks. :)

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

If it's for a "re-enactment" why not get a replica for much cheaper? :confused:

Unless his term for "re-enactment" is like the guys who dress up in Civil War Era stuff and have "battles" in which case he needs a firing weapon, but he certainly DOES NOT need live ammo. :eek:

12. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Yes he is planning to do "live" re-enacting.

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay, than he needs a weapon he can find "stage ready" blanks for, not a weapon that fires real ammo. Or that will be one re-enactment that goes down in history as the worst idea EVAH! :eek:

In that case trying to find blanks for say the .445 Webley, is going to be a HELL of a lot harder than a traditional .45, either Long Colt or ACP.

14. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

I will pass along the Info. I believe he currently does The French and Indian War.