WTH is this?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by GonzoLonzo, Oct 3, 2012.

1. GonzoLonzo

GonzoLonzo Member

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yes, it exists. Why? I am not EXACTLY sure, but it DOES exist.

J.D. Jones of SSK Industries developed the .950 JDJ Cartridge. This is a benchrest rifle designed to fire it, but at only 50 pounds. :eek:

The .950 JDJ Facts

These are the stats from the test fire, but they do NOT represent what the caliber is "capable'" of doing. :eek:

2400 grain bullet

240 grains of powder

2100 feet per second

25,400 ft pounds of muzzle energy

277ft pounds of recoil energy!! (10 x a single .30-06 at the same time)

This rifle, while it exists, is not something I would own even if I won the Mega Ball. :confused:

I don't know the range/ballistic coefficient - but I would have to assume it flies as well as a battleship, without the cool aerodynamic properties. :eek:

JD

4. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

i think we found a "winn-ah!"

5. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

According to C3's post...............equivalent to tank rounds of WWI and a 20mm autocannon in BC.

Ballistics

The cartridge propels its 3,600 gr (230 g) bullet at approximately 2,200 ft/s (670 m/s). This yields a muzzle energy of 38,685 ft·lbf (52,450 J)[1] and a momentum of 154.1 Newton-seconds, about the same as a 20x102mm Vulcan round.[citation needed] This kinetic energy would allow the .950 JDJ to pass through several body-armored humans. It is comparable to the original tank rounds of World War I in terms of ballistics.[citation needed]

By comparison, the 5.56×45mm NATO cartridge, used in the M16 rifle, produces between 1,200–1,300 ft·lbf (1,600–1,800 J), while the .308 Winchester, a favorite for hunters and medium-range police/military sniping, produces between 2,000–3,000 ft·lbf (2,700–4,100 J) depending on the load used. The ballistics of the .950 JDJ is more similar to that of the 20mm autocannon round, which delivers approximately 39,500 ft·lbf (53,600 J). The muzzle energy of the .950 JDJ is comparable to the kinetic energy of a 2,800 lb (1,300 kg) automobile traveling at 20 mph (32 km/h).

In a 110 lb (50 kg) rifle, this will develop well over 200 ft·lbf (270 J) of free recoil energy if an efficient muzzle brake is not used. This is far beyond the shoulder-firing capacity of nearly all humans, even without considering the difficulty of shouldering such a heavy rifle. Shooting is usually heavy "lead sled" or similar shooting rest, and the rifle is not held to the shoulder because of the severe recoil and possible injury. The rifle scope has significant eye relief to avoid injuring the ocular orbit.

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That actually tells a lot.

However not everyone is a 155, heavily muscled, 5 minute mile under any circumstance operator, considered the "norm" in the field ops community. ;)

A 110 pound rifle with, say, a couple of rounds, is totally viable for a man of large stature and some training.

My 7mm rifle, which is my "up to & over" 1000 yard gun, is FAT by anyones standards (it's over 20 plus pounds before I added a scope and loaded the damn thing :eek:), but I have no problem packing it because it tames the recoil and allows me some VALUABLE advantages.

Now, I am not 155# and haven't been since about, uh, 6th grade. The last time I could run a 5 minute mile was..... uh....... well..... Yeah. No. I never ran a 5 minute mile. :eek::(

Because I have a thumb and I can shoot, I decided to stop running a long time ago. What good is a 5 minute mile???? :eek::confused::eek: I run when chased. Because I have a 1911 and I carry, I don't run. I may take an alternative route, but I don't "run" because no one in their right mind is going to be "chasing" me to force me to run. :cool:

This weapon serves very little purpose. But if it was available, and I needed to stop a flight from taking off, or a vehicle from transporting necessary mission equipment, I would absolutely take the extra weight on my back. ;)

JD

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012