Wtf is this thing?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by swazispencer, Feb 1, 2013.

1. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

I just picked up my Mossberg 500 yesterday. I'm getting "acquainted" with it I guess, an I pulled this thing out of the tube. What is it? I apologize I'm new to firearms, kind of.

image-1004454881.jpg

image-1419695777.jpg

2. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

Is this the "limiter plug" I am hearing about? I never imagined it'd look like this b

3. undumb

undumb New Member

It is the limiting plug, if you are going to hunt with this shotgun, check your state laws, you might need to put it back in. If not, lose it.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Yes. When used for hunting the dowel will limit the magazine's capacity to 2 or 3 shells. You would be surprised how many times people have posted about not being able to load more than 2 rounds into their new Mossberg only to find that it shipped with the plug in the mag tube. :)

It looks like you got them both but those o-rings frequently get caught up in the mag tube, if you need a plug for hunting I would recommend ditching the wooden dowel for a single plastic plug.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  5. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

Awesome! Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I believe, here in California the law does say you must use it. What type of plastic dowel are you using, or what would you recommend? Any ideas?

6. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The laws on migratory game birds is federal not state. :)

7. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

I see. Now I know. Thanks.

8. AR10

AR10 New Member

The resale value of your gun, is somewhat better, if all that came in the box, moves on to the next owner. I would save that original plug.

Mossberg makes a great shotgun, my personal favorite, or right up there.

9. Blueguns

Blueguns New Member

All I know is in CA any and all wingshooting must be done with that plug. You are limited to 3 rounds. 2+ 1 in the chamber.

10. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Is that just a bit of dowel?

11. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Dowel and rubber o-rings. Yessir.

12. Overkill0084

Wow, the engineering dept kinda phoned it in that day.
    I thought the cheesy plastic bit that came with my browning was cheap looking.
    On the plus side, replacements can be had in any Lowe's or ACE hardware.

13. undumb

undumb New Member

A #2 pencil works too.

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Why bother with some kind of titanium alloy when a wooden dowel works just as well?

15. Overkill0084

I know it works. It's just that pulling apart your brand new shotgun and finding a stick has to be a bit of a letdown.

16. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Not as bad as not finding it and getting to the range and not being able to get more than 2 shells in the tube. :p

17. Yunus

Yunus New Member

To satisfy the mall ninjas searching for that tactical limiting plug. :cool:

18. swazispencer

swazispencer New Member

That's exactly how I felt

19. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Its a plug so you can only load 2 shells into the magazine to make it legal for hunting

20. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Its mossbergs way of making a legal hunting gun without having to completely reengineer the magazine tube