WTB new .357 wheel gun need advice

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by Powersportgiant, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

FTF friends, I am new to the revolver world besides an old .22 mag that I have. I own several semi auto pistols and various rifles so I am not new to the firearm world.

I am wanting a .357 revolver with either a 4" or a 6" barrell. I am not partial to brand but I do want a good firearm. I have a budget of around $600. Suggestions are greatly appreciated on make and models. Thanks !

2. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I'm a big Ruger fan.

Double Action = GP100
    Single Action = Blackhawk

3. vincent

vincent New Member

Ditto, GP100, a lot more folks will say the same about it as well. Built like a tank, eats any ammo, takes abuse like a Cuban welterweight. If you have the means, Colt Python, yummm!

4. tCan

tCan Active Member

The Taurus 608 might be interesting. It's an 8-shot .357 that can shoot .38 and it has a ported barrel. ~$500. We are considering one ourselves.

5. ANGRYcanary

ANGRYcanary New Member

Ruger, Taurus, or Smith N Wesson, Colt had some good ones but some of their 80s stuff had issues. Here's a GP100.

Attached Files:

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

The ruger fan club showed up and beat me to it :( looky here. And yes those are my slippers in the background.

ForumRunner_20111206_225631.jpg

7. vincent

vincent New Member

It takes a real man to admit that! My hat's off to ya Trip!! :D

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

Ha ha! They're warm too! And much better looking than my frostbite brown toes!

9. ANGRYcanary

ANGRYcanary New Member

They look all warm and cozy, dude I'd wear 'em !!!

10. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco New Member

Look for a used Ruger Blackhawk and with the money you save pick up a used .357 lever action to go with it! ;)

11. Powersportgiant

Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I can't go wrong with a ruger.

Anyone know if the GP100 shoots .38 special as well ?

12. Jay

Jay New Member

As far as I know, anything chambered in .357 will also shoot .38 special...

Rugers, S&W, Colt, Dan Wesson.... lots to choose from

13. Powersportgiant

That is good to know. I am excited about going to the local hardwear store now. I will be looking mostly at the Rugers and the S&W

14. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Ruger GP100's shoot .38 and .357 mag. I have one and I love it.

[​IMG]

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have shot the ruger GP100, but am more partial to the Smith & Wesson pistols. if you are leaning for more target shooting, go with the 6" barrel, the 4" barrel is a good choice if wanting it for sd and target shooting, and anything less is more favorablefor sd use. good luck in your search.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

All a .357 is is a .38 with a longer case with more powder and power. that's how it was developed. So yeah, any .357 should shoot it, except for auto loaders I believe, and that has more to do with the mags and action I think.

17. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

New:
    Ruger.
    Taurus QC can be problematic. More of a dice roll than I would prefer. YMMV.

Used:
    S&W
    Colt
    Dan Wesson
    Ruger Security Six. I find them more appealling than the newer models, opinions vary of course.

18. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I just got into handguns and i picked up a Ruger Gp100 .357 with a four inch barrel and i love it. New in the box was $599 so its with in your price range and it will shoot anything you put in it. Just watch out when you buy ammo because your gonna be buying ALOT of it. I go to the range atleast once a week. Don't mind the Glock that's my oldladys....also my oldlady shoots .38s all day with it no problem and i shoot .357 because that's what i use for SD. And i shoot winchester ammo because that's what works for me and every store around me carries it in stock. Hope this helps.

19. fupuk

fupuk New Member

First post didn't show the picture when i posted my message.

Attached Files:

20. Powersportgiant

Getting some great feedback here. Looking forward to checking these wheel guns out !