wtb 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by RadioActiV, May 29, 2010.

1. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

I've decided that my next purchase is to be a 1911, but i'm not sure which one to get, and what has more bang for the buck. It's going to be a carry, a plinker a home defense and a safe queen as well. Now I plan on setting about 1500 aside for this buy. I will have to budget about 75 bucks a paycheck till I reach this goal. So who has thought's for a good one in that price range that will fit my needs? If you reply thank you for playing along and entertaining my habit. I also thank you for the input.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Fifteen hundred bucks will buy you a pretty darn nice 1911 and give you some good choices. Do your homework and narrow your selections down a bit. Then, let us know what you're thinking and we can help you better.

3. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

For that much I would get a Dan Wesson. :)

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

You might take a close look at the Springfield Loaded and have a little $ left over for ammo and/or a holster.

GalleryofGuns.com - Gun Genie

And goju is right about Dan Wesson, but the one I would want, the Valor, is outside of your budget....and mine!

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I agree with possibly buying a good qualiy at a lower price and maybe get some ammo or some work done. For instance, you can get a Springer Loaded for less than $900, but to make it carry ready you might want to have the rear sight changed. Mine came with a adjustable rear sight which might get caught up on clothing or such. Maybe have the rear of the grip bobbed, that kind of stuff.

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      35 KB
      Views:
  6. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

What is the 11 gear system on the springfield? I'm thinking of going to a medium or even a compact model. Only because if I do carry it I don't want to look like I have a growth on my side lol:D

7. sigp250

sigp250 New Member

I had a few Valor's show up unexpected. I mentioned that they were gone within an hour. Some moron on another forum was trying to tell me, Yup, I seen one just the other day for around $1,300. I thought, You were probably looking at a Bobtail. I know what my cost is it is over $1,500 and I don't expect to see any more coming my way this year.

8. SHAMUSPI

SHAMUSPI New Member

The problem in your question is that most replies will be of someone's favorite, a kindof sharing the misery. Size of the gun will depend upon your size (I carry a full size, 5" S&W, concealed). I hear very good things about Smith's PD model, 4.25" bbl - and no, I do not own one. While Springfield does have a good rep, I do not like the idea of a two piece barrel. If you have the time before making a purchase, start picking up gun magazines and read what the hacks have to say.;)

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Good advice, but what 2 piece barrel? I know not of what you speak in regards to the Springfield.

Radio, maybe an officer's model Colt. Maybe a compact Kimber? Lots of models from which to choose. Had I the money when I got my Springer, I would have leaned toward a Colt Ghost Talo...just ask Dzscubie. :D

10. Wambli

Wambli New Member

Funny, at $1500 you are smack in the middle between a very good production 1911 like a SA Loaded or a Kimber (about $850-$1000) and a high end like a Wilson, Baer or such. I would either go for the $1,000 gun and ammo/accessories or wait a couple more months and treat yourself to a high end gun.

11. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

It will take a period of time to gather your funds....so

I would recommend you start by making a list of the features you want to have on your 1911. It is always cheaper to buy a 1911 with the features included than to modify and install parts after purchase.

Decide on what size pistol you feel most comfortable in carrying and shooting.
    Either full size Govt or Commander size are very suitable. I would avoid compacts due to reliability issues.

I would recommend talking with Crazy John (208) 772-2339
    Pro Load Distributors about a Les Baer 1911.... JHMO :cool:

12. sigp250

sigp250 New Member

I'm a fairly new member on this forum but have been around some of the other gun forums. I always like to look a member profiles. I noticed you listed your bio as: 1911 professional. Are you gun smithing? Only 1911's?

13. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

Great idea! I'll get the list together and post it later. I decided to post this topic so maybe I could come to a decision before I saved up the money. That way if it's cheaper then I have a goal better than what I set. plus if i were to save up 1500 I might wind up buying something with out an informed thought and wind up hating what I purchased. So once again thank you for your responses.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

While I prefer the Ed Brown, it is a little above the price range. Check out gunbroker.com and look for your price range. Good luck