wsm

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by skeniger2002, Dec 13, 2011.

1. skeniger2002

skeniger2002 New Member

What the knowledge on wsm the better than the long actions or the same

2. Wambli

Wambli New Member

WSMs shine with bullets in the lighter end of their LA counterparts niche. My .300 WSM was great with 150-168 gr bullets but started running out of steam with 180 and above where the WinMag counterpart shines.

The beauty of the WSMs has always been in being able to get the WinMag performance in short action rifles that are a joy to carry afield like the Kimber Montana models.

3. skeniger2002

skeniger2002 New Member

Thanks I been thinking of getting the 300 wsm

4. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

The short magnums are a dying breed.If you get one,stock up on ammo,and brass.

5. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I have a winchester model 70 7mmwsm, ive noticed that ammo is a little harder to find than it used to be and the price has gone up

6. natman

natman Member

The SUPER short magnums (WSSM) are a dead breed. The 7mm WSM hasn't really caught on. The 270 WSM and 300 WSM are quite popular.

7. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

Agreed. I know some guys with the 270 and 300 WSM, but not much of the others. Personal opinion, the regular 270win, 300WM, and 7mm RM are still the standards in those calibers. Ammunition will always be available for them, and they perform ballistically in a way that doesn't require a short mag. But hey, if we all had a choice we'd have a gun in every caliber, right? hahahaha So if you want one, get it.

8. Wambli

Wambli New Member

While it's not a round you'll likely find in Walmarts the .300 and .270 WSM have a growing hardcore following and ammo is plentyful and pricewise in line with other rounds in their class. My old Montana was an absolute sweet shooting gun and even in it's ultralight configuration not a tough gun to handle. I sold it because I just have too many overlapping purposed guns and I have a Remington Custom Shop AWR 700 in .300 WinMag so that one won the slot in the gun safe. But of all the guns I've sold I probably miss that one the most.

9. bigsteve89

bigsteve89 New Member

i had a howa 1500 in .270 wsm. i never noticed a big difference between it and my friends regular .270 other than mine kicked alot harder... ill attribute that to the difference in stocks though mine was synthetic and around 2lbs lighter than his though. the main reason i got rid of it was that it was costing me almost 45 per box of 20 and it was nearly impossible to find ammo.

10. skeniger2002

skeniger2002 New Member

So the long action be the better choice

11. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

I wouldn't let a bunch of guys like us talk you out of what you want. YOu just have to be prepared for whatever you may need to shoot it in the future. For example, brass basically. If you are a reloader, you will be fine. If not, you could have to become a reloader in a few years. haha

When I bought my first 7mm Rem Mag, I went through the same discussion in my mind. I wanted a 7mm Ultra Mag, but after looking at shell cost, and choices, it was easy to decide I would go with the straight 7mm Rem Mag for those reasons. Just depends on what is important to you. I have a buddy with a 270WSM that shoots pretty good.

12. skeniger2002

skeniger2002 New Member

You guys are not deciding it for me. I was figuring it our myself been looking at a sendero an love the idea of a fluted bull barrel,and yea I do reload my shells gives better quality than factory loads unless u goof up

13. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

You and I think alike. I have a Sendero. Awesome gun

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Do you think that the WSM will continue to fade out or will it stay fairly available? I really love my 7mmwsm, but if the ammo continues to fade out i may have to get a more popular and readily available caliber for long range.

15. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I have 300 rounds of assorted weights 7mm WSM. At the time I paid $24.99 for 150gr pp, $38.99 for 140gr ballistic silvertip, and $42.99 for 160gr fail safe. The short mag seems to me to recoil lighter than the full length 7mm. I also reload.

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the way i see it is this way, the short mags and the super short mags were a fad that has passed to some degree, it didn't catch on as well as the gun and ammo makers had hoped. will they fade away into obscurity, probably not. as the fad has run it's course, availability of ammo and rifles will decline and prices will go up somewhat. i think these cartridges will be more economical in the long run to reload for, rather than buying factory ammo. will the 270 wsm take the place of the 270 win., or the 7mm wssm take the place of the 7mm rem. mag, ect.ect. ? probably not, as they have still got a loyal following and have proven themselves many times over the years.

17. mrb1982

mrb1982 New Member

That about sums it up.

18. Wambli

Wambli New Member

This "fad" has been going along for over a decade now. Not sure at which point we stop calling a cartridge "new" but us gun owners seem to clamp on to a notion and never let it go (like WSMs are a fad). Major rifle manufacturers continue selling WSM guns and ammo is widely available and more popular in sales than some of what we consider "classics" like the .35 Whelen, .257 Roberts and 8mm Mauser. WSSMs sold like hell and you go to Cabelas and there is plenty of ammo for them on the shelves.

Jeez, you can still buy Remington Core-Lokt ammo for 30-40 Krag and NO ONE has made a gun chambered in 30-40 for probably 100 years. :D