Wrongfully Arrested in Vancouver WA

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by Tackleberry1, Jul 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-cvipwCcm8&sns=em[/ame]

In this video, Air Force Veteran Mack Worley is wrongfully arrested for trespass while on a public sidewalk over a year ago.

It took almost exactly 1 year for the VPD to return his phone and stolen video but only when forced to do so in discovery at a trial they postponed for as long as they could.

Numerous plea offers were made and rejected because the City refused to turn over the video to the defendant and lied about possessing it on numerous occasions.

I heard Mack's side of the story last year within weeks of it happening and have been patiently waiting for VPD to produce some evidence that their actions were just.

At trial, the trespass charge was dropped but the prosecutor managed to get a guilty verdict on a obscure law about displaying a weapon despite the fact that he was legally open carrying a legal firearm?

Tack

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2014
  2. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Pro-open carry or not. This is one of those attention seeking acts that earned the guy exactly the kind of response he was hoping for. He was hoping the cops would misunderstand. Good job. They did.

By purposefully seeking a police response he created a disturbance with his firearm.

There are right ways and wrong ways to promote the gun owners cause. This doesn't help much.

3. mopowerbmx

mopowerbmx New Member

When you look for trouble,trouble finds you.

4. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I agree and would not personally OC an AR in a location like this "which happens to be a 1/2 mile from my home"

The problem is that after being released from an illegal detention, he was arrested for trespass on a public sidewalk?

It's pretty clear to me that the only reason VPD did this was his assertion of his 4A rights.

They arrested him for "contempt of cop", plain and simple. That's the part I've got a problem with and why I'm supporting him.

Tack

5. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

This is true, but when it shows up in the uniform of local PD... It should be "legal."

6. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

+1000....... Amen !

7. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I think the biggest prob here was the guy was out of his league, 3 armed LEO's likely trump one OC (Obsessive Compulsive). If he was trying to make a point, it got lost the second he attempted to cross back onto private property after somewhat successfully trying to make that point. All they had to do was wait and he was bound to give them a string to hang him with, he did.

If your out to make a point, be sure its one you can sleep comfortably with. He knew what he was getting himself into, he just pushed it one step too far. Im sure that LEO's work for us but understand they have one personal goal, to go home after their shift and be with their family. Momma didnt raise no fool, never disrespect someone with a badge and a gun, you can lose bigtime.

OC is a a basic right in all 50 states that has somehow been made illegal in most of them, I disagree with the states take on it but I will try to only pick fights Im sure I will come out on top. His lone voice only put him in a place he had nobody standing beside him other than legal counsel.

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

My question is where is the line here? I thought the cops were for the most part, being pretty polite and respectable. So, would it have hurt to answer some of their questions? At what point are you obligated to? I get the feeling that if he'd told them his name, and why he's toting an AR, they'd have let him go without further difficulties. Honestly, I'd have to put him in the category with the Target guys. Dumbass.

9. WNGMSTR

WNGMSTR Troll Scout

Yep, he has absolutely no right to go about his day freely.:rolleyes:

If one is going to OC you'd better be prepared to defend that "RIGHT" as most of the LE in this country have been trained to disarm the public. Physically or thru intimidation to the point where most are afraid to expose a firearm even under the most innocent of intent.

The pyscho latino gal with the shotgun should be counting her blessings.

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I'm not sure that phrase is applicable. These people's intent is to basically pick a fight. They have no other reason to have a rifle on them. I watched a video from Cali where the cops made sure it was unloaded, as per the law. (It was) So, that right there removes all defense arguments. What is left? NOTHING. They're picking a fight. Want proof? Who takes an unloaded gun, and walks around with it "while my car is being washed" (that's what the Cali guy actually said), while videotaping the WHOLE time? No one.

Now, if someone said, "I live down there, and I'm going to the range a mile down the street.", whole different story. But so far I have never heard of that.

11. WNGMSTR

WNGMSTR Troll Scout

Exercising a "Right" is the reason.

The conditioning exercise by the govt. is nearly complete.

12. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

If the state law is not clear on this, then it should be. One, no open display of firearms by a civilian, except in self defense. Two, deliberately staging a provocation to distract law enforcement should be a criminal offense in itself. Like false crime reporting or phone pranks.

13. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

i just love this political play on veterans status. The guy played a stupid game, ran his mouth and won a stupid prize.

14. CzarChasm

CzarChasm New Member

How easily people give up liberty, that they would turn on those challenging tyrants and thugs who steal it from us daily with impunity.

The opposition to the rifle-bearing (does that word ring a bell?) young man displayed with angst, mocking and vitriol is certainly not unique to this gun forum. It is a ubiquitous schism amongst "factions" of so-called gun rights "advocates" that plays itself out on gun forums every day of every week of every year for the last 20+ years of my being online. Perhaps a reminder from "Candidus" from 1771 as our Great Revolution was bubbling up from the hearts of Patriots of Liberty will inspire introspection to find our better "advocacy," but I can't say I'm particularly confident that it will. Still a good read though, if one can stand a mirror being held up to their face:

Samuel Adams is known best for another salient quotation, which also applies:

Some on this forum apparently believe that both Samuel Adams' words, and the Constitution and Bill of Rights he advocated for with every fiber of his being, are obsolete, irrelevant in modern society. The truth is, we are regressing. As a country, we more-closely resemble the majority of pre-Revolution British Loyalists of Colonial days that Adams was speaking to when he urged they go home in peace with their chains resting lightly upon them. The majority of replies in this thread stands as my evidence substantiating that claim.

CzarChasm

15. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Bottom line, the guy was a complete A***ole Jerk. And deserved everything he got! Went looking for trouble and provoking trouble and found it. If he would have been civil the issue would have been resolved to everyone's good. Including preserving our rights! It is Idiots like him that do more harm than good! He obviously suffers from a severe case of Crainial Rectitis and Diahrea of the Mouth! Anyone that would support an idiot like that is surely not helping protect our Second Amendment. Nothing wrong with him having a rifle but it was obviously in a residential area. And the police have every right to investigate since obviously they were responding to "another citizen" who has the expectantcy being a tax payer, that the police would respond to he or she's call requesting a response. This by calling the police about an unknown individual walking in their neighborhood with a rifle. No one knew he was obviously looking for a political motivated confrontation with who ever and not a criminal who possibly may have shot someone or was on his way to commit a crime. Obviously he qualifies for being a little bit of a WHAAK! Love the back seat quarterbacks who have no experience!;)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  16. Defiant_one

Defiant_one New Member

Lose Lose situation

I have to agree, he had every right to do what he did and they violated his constitutional rights on several counts - they also entrapped him when he wanted to disengage. With that said though...was it smart ?

Of course he has his rights...but every day, LE has to deal with some pretty wild things. From the very small to the most horrendous. When they don't do their job we complain. When they do their job but not to our liking, we complain.

There needs to be some wisdom and modern day reality in our actions. Saying you have a right and displaying that right to its extreme may have consequences. Even if you are in the right.

Your first amendment rights say you can shout at the top of your lungs "I hate black people and wish they would all die". Doing it in Compton, downtown Detroit and various other places may get you killed. Buy hey, its your right, right ?

Too many want their "rights" and lack the wisdom to truly appreciate them

17. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

I actually think the guy knew exactly what he thought he was doing and got exactly what he thought he would in the end. He may have changed his mind when he was in the heat of it but by that time, the stakes had been raised and he wasnt in control. This isnt a case of oops, its a case of oh sh!t! His prior service status has very little to do with the situation at hand, nobody in the military taught him to take a weapon for a public walk, he was told that the weapon was made for killing and unless your in a mode to do that, carrying it isnt any more useful than carrying a Extreme weather sleeping bag in Texas, extra weight.

The right to open carry and the cause for it are both things I personally believe should be in sync. He wasnt guarding or protecting anything or hunting, if your saying your doing this for all our good, I might suggest they leave my name out of that cause being legal isnt the only reason to do something.

18. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Some folks are just so desperate for attention thst they'll do almost anything, no matter how stupid, just to get others to notice them.

Like 2 year olds that throw their food so mommy will pay attention to them.

19. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Odd isn't it ,when a liberal knot head burns the flag, almost to a man everyone here will say it is his right to do these things but let some body actually exercise a right that is actually written on paper by the founding fathers and almost to a man you all claim him to be an A$$hole and a dumb a$$. What's worse, you do it out of fear that politicians will take even more of your rights. Instead of standing up for him as you should because he did nothing illegal. I think you have forgotten some other important words uttered by Patrick Henry, "we must all hang together or assuredly we shall all hang separately". No where is it written that it's ok to burn the flag. Look up the definition of the word speech. However it is written that we have a right to keep and BEAR arms.
    Don't give me the old tired crap about baiting the police. The police bait citizens everyday. In fact they are so proud of it they have TV shows dedicated to it. On the other hand let somebody bait them and they scurry around trying to confiscate/steal all the cameras and phones. When the police violate your constitutional rights it's a far worse crime than some kid stealing a bait car or a shmuck soliciting a prostitute.

Something else to think about, the government and police have been trampling on your rights long before these guys started carrying long guns in protest. So blaming them is wrong and quite frankly cowardly.

20. WNGMSTR

WNGMSTR Troll Scout

Those who afraid to exercise their Rights have already relinquished them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.