Wrong primer now what??

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by 138bONES, Feb 11, 2014.

1. 138bONES

138bONES New Member

Need some advise/help. Loaded about 250 rounds of 45 ACP and realized I was using large rifle primes and not large pistol primers. I have set them aside and don't know what to do with them now. I'm thinking they should not be used correct. Has anyone ever used a reload with the rifle primer instead of the pistol primer. I really don't want to have the gun explode I'm my hands. What would the more experienced person than me do in this situation. Thanks for any help.

2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

You're going to have to pull them apart and get the components back. Press the primers back out nice and easy. Put the right primer in and rebuild the loads. Tedious work but the safest way. I'm sure some have done the same thing and shot them but not me. My reloading guru normally loads LR primers for .44mag but those are entirely different pressures and FPS.

3. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I don't know, but you should include powder & weight + bullet & weight for those with the experience to advise.
    You can pull the bullet to save the powder & bullet. I would be worried to decap, so toss the brass.
    Lesson learned!

4. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Well I made the same mistake kinda once before I used magnum pistol primers in regular pistol cartridges but I used Sam anyhow obviously had a little more higher pressure I'm sure but function fine.
    I don't know if I was a good thing or not but by the time I figured it out already shot some . so I just went ahead and finished that batch.
    Be patient I'm sure you will get a lot more responses

Plus I never load my cartridges at the higher spectrum anyhow so I figured it was fine

My 2 cents

EZ

5. infidel686

infidel686 New Member

I agree pull them apart and rebuild. No need to toss the brass just deprime slowly and all will be fine. I've had to do it before

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Firearms Talk mobile app

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I've been wondering; what is the differences in primers? Not knowing much about it, it seems pretty obvious to me that the bigger the cartridge/round/load, the bigger and more powerful the primer should be. But are they all the same size? And how much different in power are they really? How about a list of primer sizes, and the kinds of ammo they go in? (Just a general reference)

7. string1946

string1946 New Member

I deprimed a few with live primers over the years but nothing like that many. Usually it was when a primer got turned around and seated backwards. I can't advise anyone else but I would probably break the rounds down and when I got the bullet and power out I would load them in the gun one at a time and pop the primer then procede as normal. All safety rules still apply as a primer has considerable power by its self. If you don't have a kinetic bullet puller its time to get one and its Hammer Time.

8. mseric

mseric New Member

Small rifle primer and small pistol primers are the same dimensions. If they are interchanged you run into a pressure issue and a Cup thickness issue.

Large Pistol Primers are shallower that Large Rifle primers. Not only do you have the same issue listed above with small primers, you also have the fact that he Rifle primer will not be seated below flush or even flush, too tall.

Pull em.

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

this.

if you dont want to mangle yourself stupidly, just pull the bullets and powder and pop the primers one ata time by firing them in the pistol.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  10. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Rifle primers are much harder than pistol primers. There is the possibility that your gun would not set them off. But then there is also the possibility of a slam fire. Rifle primers are a little taller than pistol. So they do stick out of the case. It would be possible for the slide to come forward and hit the primer before you pull the trigger. I have had an sks empty the mag that way once. You need to pull them. Not worth the risk for a few dollars worth of primers.

EZ2b. I use mag pistol primers for everything. I do not load to max loads though. I use starting loads for everything but magnum cartridges.

11. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

Yeah I didn't see big difference and obviously I did mine by mistake and I will not condone going into it purposely that's for sure.
    I got lucky mistakes like that are dangerous

One
    Big
    Mistake
    America

12. jebsca

jebsca New Member

This would have been my reply almost word for word. I have pulled out a few live primers. I was very slow and kept everything clear. In the end it takes too long for no more money than I saved. Since, I load the case and primer in a gun and set it off. BTW, warn the wife first. Mine did not like the scare. I would say to get a press mounted puller like RCBS. Pulling that many rounds, you will get a rhythm going and it's fast, clean, and the wife isn't yelling at you about all that hammering.

Sent from my smart phone using my not smart hand.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

As stated, the large rifle primers are NOT for pistol loads. The dimensions are different. You may also find some .45 ACP cases that use SMALL pistol primers

14. string1946

string1946 New Member

I agree 100%. A while back I needed to pull the bullets from around 200 rounds of .308 so I bought a RCBS press mounted bullet puller and a 30 cal. collet and it worked like a dream. If I need to pull a different caliber later I just need to spend a few $'s for a different collet. When I have deprimed live primers I soak the cases in oil for a few days before depriming. Thats no guarantee it won't detonate so I go slow, wear a face shield, leather gloves and long sleeve shirt like I would if I was casting. If you go the kinetic puller route, someone on the forum suggested putting a foam ear plug in the nose of the puller so as not to deform the bullet nose. I would rather take a butt kicking than lose brass.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app

15. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

I pulled bullets from some ammo given to me (new cases, old timer loaded them, was slipping mentally- so loads of questionable build- verified as dangerous upon dis assembly).

Sized 'em, which knocked out all 100 live primers.

I don't see what the big deal is. Go slow and wear your safety glasses.

16. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

I'd agree. As much as I don't know about them, I know this; they aren't going to blow your hand off. If you're smart, and wear some basic protective gear, you're be fine. Although, you may not want to block the mouth of the case, in the instance one went off….

17. string1946

string1946 New Member

I just don't see any reason to take the chance. I would never reuse the primers anyway. Might as well pop them and be safe. If you wanted to have a little fun in the process go buy some of the wax used for canning. It comes in sheets about 2 x 4" 1/4". Use the cases like cookie cutters and wind up with a wax slug in the case. The primer will push it out with gusto. Don't shoot anything you don't want to damage. I cracked a plastic bird feeder at about 20' with some in 44 mag. cases. The primers will back out a little and can tie up a revolver but single shot in a 45 acp shouldn't be a issue. They don't develop enough pressure to set back against the breach face or recoil shield so hold the primer all the way in. I had bout half a dozen 44 mag. cases I drilled the flash hole out bigger to keep that from happening. I blackened the case heads with a sharpie so as not to get those cases mixed up with my others.

18. jebsca

jebsca New Member

Keep in mind, some ammo by design is powered only by the primer, and no powder. Still, you should be careful to only point it at something you intend to destroy. With that in mind, a primed case going off in close quarters to your face and hands is asking for trouble. After I asked myself if that 3.5 cent primer was worth the risk, I quit trying to pull them.

With that said, if I am pulling bullets, I do not soak them first, cause I would like to save the primer and powder, as well as the bullet and case.

Sent from my smart phone using my not smart hand.

19. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I could not advise anyone, who's expertise is unknown, to play the "so far so good" game with primers. A long list would follow.

20. string1946

string1946 New Member

I don't soak them until the bullet is pulled and the powder salvaged and then only the ones that have the primer in wrong so I can't pop them in the gun.

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Firearms Talk mobile app