Wrong handed

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by Cinderocka1989, May 23, 2011.

1. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

I seem to have a problem, I'm left handed (my Grandpa tells me I'm wrong handed) but my dominant eye is my right eye. I learned to shoot rifles and shotguns from my Grandpa so I shoot them right handed, and pretty decent. When I pick up a handgun it feels best in my left hand. So I'm shooting with my left hand and aiming with my right eye or trying to shoot right handed and neither seem to be working for me, anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it? :confused:

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

I'm right handed and left eyed but I shoot with my right eye cause it is easier. I tried shooting right handed and left eye but it feels wierd.

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

When you shoot left handed, see if you can find a head angle that allows you to use your dominant/right eye to aim. My shooting buddy is blind in his left eye and he shoots left handed. He's found a way to use his right eye to aim and he's deadly accurate with a long gun or a handgun.

Keep fooling with it and see if maybe you can get comfortable that way.

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  4. freefall

freefall New Member

Smear some vaseline on the right lens of your shooting glasses when you shoot your pistol.

5. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I'm right handed/left eye dominant.
    I have always shot long guns left handed,but have trained myself to also shoot right handed/right eye.
    Now I can shoot almost as good right handed as I do left handed.

I used to only shoot pistols,right hand/right eye,but have also been shooting left hand/left eye with rimfires.But after I got used to the feel of the weapon in my weak hand,and worked on my technique,I can shoot almost as good with my weak hand.

It takes time and a lot of practice to get your brain retrained to do it both ways.I hoping to be shooting my 1911's weak hand soon,but for now,I'll stick with the rimfires until I'm sure my brain and hand/eye are on the same page.

6. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I am left handed and right eyed as well. I shoot rifle, shotgun, pistol, and bows (not often) right handed. I am as comfortable with a pistol in my left hand as with my right.

You may try as CA357 said and try to hold so you sight with your right eye, it isn't that hard, I do it when I shoot left handed. Or, if your non dominant eye has good vision, (mine doesn't) close or cover your dominant eye and train that way to see how it works out. Good luck.

7. Flat4sti

Flat4sti New Member

i have the same problem, right handed left eye dominant. I shot a lot of trap and skeet and since i can't do pretty much anything left handed. I put a piece of scotch tape over my left eye, It solved the problem, by tricking my brain some how...I ain't no doctor so i don't know exactly why, but it switches the eye your dominant with. Pistols i dont really have a problem with.

8. group17

group17 New Member

Please don't call left handed people "Wrong handed".

If you look up famous left handed people you will find a lot more than sports figures.

Famous Left-Handers

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I keep both eyes open! I shoot left and right. Can't do it w/ a rifle.

10. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

+ 1 just not with a scoped rifle. :cool:

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I was born with this condition. Left handed, Right Eye dominant.

My father was born left handed and left eye dominant.

When he was teaching me to shoot, he noticed that I was right eye dominant. I was devastated that I couldn't shoot like my father. :(

My father was a life long hunter and gun enthusiast, but he was also my first coach and I was his only son.

My father spun me a story about how great it was that I was left handed, off handed, but by being able to shoot with my right, I was TWICE as effective as anyone else with a gun in their hand. He sold it with a bard's storytelling ability and I was soon PROUD of the condition.

I shoot everything right handed, but my left hand is what I use to reload my pistols and I have learned to be deadly fast because I am using my "dominant" hand for both reloading and protecting my weapon.

When faced with a force on force drill with a simulation weapon, my strong hand was always in front of me against my "attacker" and I was able to keep even larger attackers away from my weapon because my "strong" hand was twice as effective against the attacking force as someone using their "off" hand.

My advice is to embrace your condition and "learn" to shoot pistols with your right hand, leaving your left hand free for OHHHHH so much more interesting and effective activities. ;)

JD

12. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Active Member

I got the six gun for you!

You need to use both hands for this one:D

<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MtPiAF0vx44" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  13. Cinderocka1989

Cinderocka1989 Well-Known Member

spent some time practicing at the range today, I've been trying to shoot righthanded I'm pretty good at 5 yards but anything beyond that I'm shooting right of center... Thanks for all the ideas guys.

14. utf59

utf59 New Member

Pulling right while shooting right-handed is often the result of increasing the amount of "squeeze" in the grip while pulling the trigger. That's not too surprising from your weak hand, but some practice and maybe something to exercise your grip will clear that up.

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

This might help with that issue.

Attached Files: