wrong ammo

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Uchahi, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

I have a mossburg 500. On the barrel it has 2 3/4 and 3 inch. Can it shoot 3 inch magnums 00 buck 15 pellet.

The guy at walmart just handed them to me and I did not look.

2. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

short answer...yes. A shotgun with a 3" chamber can shoot both.

3. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

Just to make sure. Although it is not stamped on the barrel (2 3/4 and or 3 inch) It can shoot 3 inch mag. shells?

Sorry if I seem slow I just would want to damage a prefectly good gun for no reason.

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Quoted for truth.

If it says 2.75 and 3" it can shoot both. The only restrictions might be with steel shot. But that's more a choke issue.

5. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

Thank you boys very much.

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Now I'm confused, you're first post said it is on the barrel your second says it isn't...which is it?

7. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

I see where you're getting confused. A 3 inch shell is a 3 inch shell. Magnum only refers to the pressure. Most modern guns like the Mossberg 500 are rated for 000 buck standards so it will stand up to magnum loads. Magnum refers to the pressure and adds no length to the shell. If your barrel is stamped, follow what its stamped with. If it isnt stamped with any info on what it takes then measure the chamber for yourself. Take the barrel off and measure to the point were the metal raises up and starts to taper down, 99% of the time there's a visual ring where the chamber ends if you shine a light in the other end.

8. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

JPyle,

The op said that he was confused because the barrel does not have 2-3/4 and/or 3, but it is stamed 2-3/4 and 3.

9. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

ok...didn't pick that up when I read it, thanks

10. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Moss 500

Due to the different chokes, if you have interchangeble chokes, read what it says you can and cannot shoot as the prev. man said about steel shot. My Benelli is marked 2.75 to 3.5 and I shoot 3.5 Mag 00 buck thru full choke. the other 2 chokes are not for steel shot. The full choke I have will shoot both. Wills in da Swamp in La.