Writers Wanted!

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by JoshX3Magazine, May 23, 2009.

1. JoshX3Magazine

JoshX3Magazine New Member

Hi everyone! My name is Josh Silverman and I'm an avid shooter and somewhat newer member of this forum. As you can probably tell from my signature, etc, I'm in the magazine business.

The publishing company I work for, X3, is in the late planning stages of creating a new hunting, archery and firearms magazine and I'll be editing. We're looking for writers and photographers! We're starting up and not exactly in the position to offer anyone a full-time salary with bennies, but what I can offer you is a chance to make a couple of hundred extra bucks here and there writing about something you love.

If you're an avid archer, hunter or firearms enthusiast and can string two or three words together coherently, I'd love to hear from you!

Where we're at right now is putting together a "mock-up" or small test magazine that we're going to show our investors and potential advertisers. If they like it we're moving forward and we'll need articles, pictures, etc.

Since I enjoy this forum and everyone here seems like great people, I figured this might be a neat way of giving back and providing some of the awesome people around here a chance of making a little money.

For an example of what we currently do and how we do it, go see the magazine we currently product online, it's free! Check it out at Paintball X3 Magazine : Paintball Gear, Scenario, Tournament Paintball .

Looking forward to hearing from a few of you!

Josh

2. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

So do you want us to do a write up and then send it to your email or something?

3. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Sounds like an interesting proposal. Can you be more specific about what information you are looking to publish? Species-specific hunts , archery & hunting gear tests/reviews, firearms tests, reloading & ballsitics ?

4. JoshX3Magazine

Well you guys have already helped me accomplish mission one - whether anyone would be interested and/or respond. :)

Now that you've done that...

Basically what I'd like any perspective writers to do is write something for me. I'd say1,000 words or less. Consider it a...working resume...of sorts. It can be a story about a hunt, a review of a particular firearm, something from the world of archery...anything hunting, archery, outdoors, firearms, etc. I know that's pretty broad but this is more for me to see what you've got, how you write, etc. Once I see that, we can go from there.

Does that help at all? :)

Once you've got something put together email me at Josh@paintballx3.com and we can take a look at it. Thanks!

Josh

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I will see if I can get something together today and get it sent to you. Interesting, very interesting.

SC

6. ScottG

ScottG New Member

Are you also looking for the political angle, or just nuts and bolts and reviews of firearms?

Some of us are newer to guns, but still have a history of political interest in 2a issues.

7. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

How much will good pieces be paid? Will we be under contract once writing? Give me a subject-PM me or email me plz. Neil

8. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I do a fair bit of combat fishing in the winter ("Combat", not "Wombat", because wombats are an endangered species in both the freshwater and saltwater fishing grounds of the United States, at least until I can get enough people to write their congressmen and get THAT stupid regulation repealed.) and could probably do anything from drunken Canadians rigging tip-ups to how not to boat a barracuda in the Caribbean and actually make it funny.
    Think of the last page of "Sports Afield". Nighttime sucker-spearing parties with ice-chunks the size of mattresses coming down the ravine. Hooking your brother in the face with a Rapala when the smallmouth start hitting. Your 7 year-old son reeling up a deer ribcage which you think is from a human, but you just can't stand the suspense and are willing to pay for 20 years worth of therapy just to be sure. Making the same son take a boat ride out to a dead sea turtle which you believe to be a dead guy about be flushed out of the Chesapeake Bay. Stuff like that.

9. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I'm thinking he is looking for original stuff. I read about that kind of stuff in every mag I get. Last page stuff, but fake for real. Most of the time, I am not entertained, but if that is what they are looking for, good for you. I like to read about real hunting and not made up stuff. Jim Shockey got tired of it as well and decided to give up that kind of writing. I gave up on Bill Heavey a long time ago as well. Tred Barta is good with his stuff, you can count on it being based on real experience, and he does not have made up friends.

10. RL357Mag

RL357Mag New Member

Pat McManus made a good living doing it and he is probably the best at it. He writes about stuff that the average person who grew up in the 1960's can relate to. Unfortunately that maket is shrinking fast.

11. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

You want something like this.

Her Butt hole is Pouchin OUT!!!

Well I was home on leave during the nice months of April or May in Northern California it is still green and it is not burning yet. So a little back story we have lived in the same town our entire life small farming community in the Sacramento Valley 120 miles north of Sacramento. We had a family friend that lived aprox 15 miles out of town on his 6000 acre ranch. He didn't do much but rent most of it to a sheep farmer. We were allowed to come out and shoot and fish with a days notice.

My brother and I decide to go and do a little shooting out at the ranch. We get things ready to go the night before so we can head out at day light. We have all the guns and ammo we need and hit the sack. Next morning rolls around and we are up and ready to go in a matter of no time. On a last minute dicession we say lets bring the dog. The Dog is Judy a black and white pit mix. Who our other dog the late Lucy (Yes Judy Garlin and Lucille Ball) found in a pile of tires at a Les Schwab store. Judy is along about 13 years old at this time. So we get loaded up call the dog and kiss mom and off we go.

The ride is long boring with not much to look at other than grass and the occasional Valley oak. Well We have 3 rifles in the gun rack (Yes a true in the back window gun rack) 2 in the seat and two guys and a 35# dog in my brothers old 1972 Ford F-150. Well about half way out the dog starts walking around in circles on the middle of the front seat then gets on the floor board then back up and down for a few minutes. The it starts.

After about 25 minutes in the truck Judy thinks it is time to what yes take a big crap. Well She tried to hold it back but it was coming weather we liked it or not. She hunches up and you guessed it her butt hole starts to pouch out. Now It is pointed towards me so I do what any red blooded American would do I push it towards my brother. That was a bad idea, he is trying to drive and crawl out the window while she is trying to poop . I am about to fall out of the truck laughing until it happens he shoves her back my way. Screaming HER BUTT HOLE IS POUCHIN OUT over and over in a very high pitched girlie type voice. What makes that so funny is he is 6'3" and we both have rather deep voices. He is laughing as am I the poor dog is freaking out, because all she really needs to do it relieve herself of last night dinner. Now this is all taking place in a matter of a few seconds we now both look up and see that my brother is headed right for a big concrete immovable bridge rail. Now imagine two guys and a dog all looking at each other and with a cartoon like look all freak out at the same time. He cranks the wheel the dog falls over on to me and I am screaming like a little girl watching Nightmare on Elm Street shaking my hands in the air like a guy on queer eye for the straight guy would if he seen a spider. The dogs butt hole is still pouching out. My brother is laughing crying, and trying to get the truck under control I am laughing and crying and trying to figure out a way to keep the dog from pooping all over me without me having to stick a finger or two up the chute to stop the on coming traffic, hoping and praying that we don't hit the bridge. A few fish tales later and some dust we get stopped I open the door and Judy bails out run a little over 3 feet and explodes with the biggest pile I had ever seen this dog let go of. We have to sit there for 15 minutes while we both stop laughing and calm down enough to get the truck moving and not look like a couple of drunks driving home from the bar.

The rest of the day was rather uneventful. We did some shooting and did some fishing. Judy pounced on a Rattler and snatched it up right behind it's head and shock it so hard it died right on the spot. She really saved my brother from stepping on it. The bad thing was she wouldn't let go of the dead snake until we got home and mom said good dog. I miss Judy, who will be gone soon as she is now almost 20 years old.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  12. JoshX3Magazine

Well...that was...um...yeah.

Entertaining! lol

:)

Guys, I've gotten a couple of good submissions off this thread! I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to not only take this seriously, but put pieces together for me. It's a huge help. I'm still looking for more, though.

At this point, I'll say that I'd like it as original as possible and while I'm open to considering...comedy shall we say...I'd like some serious hunting/shooting and even archery pieces. Talk about a hunt you've been on. Talk about that last new rifle you purchased and the process you went through to find a scope, get everything mounted and sighted in, and how you're shooting with it now. Talk about that big animal you put in the freezer the last time you were out, how it happened and a lesson you learned.

Just some ideas.

Thanks so much again!

Josh

13. JoshX3Magazine

I hate to dredge up a "dead" thread but it looks like my funding has FINALLY come through to actually make a real go of this!

Anyone of you who got in touch with me a couple months ago about this, get in touch with me again!

Let's see if we can get some writing done!

Thanks!

Josh

14. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Congrats on the funding! I am looking forward to working with you in the future. E-mail sent.

skullcrusher